Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2018, 11:18 AM
fnh

2,888 posts, read 3,913,832 times

Advertisements

You simply cannot ignore the role race plays in economics. This is an editorial from YESTERDAY. Do you really not understand how unfair it is that people of color are disproportionately denied loans, even when they present with better job/credit qualifications than lower class whites? Economics alone does not explain that discrepancy.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/03/07/o...ol-left-region
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2018, 11:52 AM

12,735 posts, read 21,783,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fnh View Post
You simply cannot ignore the role race plays in economics. This is an editorial from YESTERDAY. Do you really not understand how unfair it is that people of color are disproportionately denied loans, even when they present with better job/credit qualifications than lower class whites? Economics alone does not explain that discrepancy.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/03/07/o...ol-left-region
Spot on. This is exactly what I'm looking for! Folks are trying to play dumb, and I'm not buying ANY of it.

Old 03-08-2018, 12:16 PM

1,659 posts, read 1,242,613 times
This is the premise of the entire article / opinion puff piece:

"Banks often claim that they deny mortgages in minority communities based
on credit scores — but that claim is almost impossible to check, given that
the credit scores are not publicly available. "

So in other words, these fine folks STILL aren’t paying their bills but give excuses as to why “The Man” keeps holdin them down. Same ole same ole... Move along here folks, nothing to see here now.

Old 03-08-2018, 12:24 PM

5,614 posts, read 4,943,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBoy205 View Post
Spot on. This is exactly what I'm looking for! Folks are trying to play dumb, and I'm not buying ANY of it.
I certainly won't play dumb about those kinds of injustices nor the existence of white hetero privilege. But that in no way justifies the idea that areas of town should have particular preferences assigned to ethnic / cultural / sexual identity groups because of historic or ongoing discrimination against those groups. The government should have absolutely no say in the ethnic makeup of 3rd Ward or anywhere else, and in fact should support total color-blindness in residential transactions per the 1968 Fair Housing Act. And while there can be some sensitivity to providing aid to those are too income-limited to handle changes in assessed value and thus tax bills, regulating private property rents is unacceptable policy. In any market of any cultural heritage, renters are and should be at the mercy of what rate the landlord demands.

The acceptable approach is for (preferably private nonprofit) entities to acquire land (through market-rate transactions) in areas subject to gentrification and help provide or retain housing affordable to those of lower incomes, preferably on a color-blind basis, no matter what the ethnic heritage of the neighborhood is.

Old 03-08-2018, 02:43 PM

158 posts, read 181,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
Don't know how old you are, but maybe you remember when there were still a fair amount of people living south of Texas Avenue, when the plants (from a TC native to another, we don't call them "refineries," that's too many syllables and we can't read or spell that word anyway) were buying out homeowners to create a buffer between the plants and the rest of the city. I guess that wasn't "gentrification" because it wasn't to put a hipster coffeehouse there instead. Most of it is vacant or paved over.
I'm barely old enough. We used to live on 2nd avenue south, which was a few blocks from texas ave. We got bought out and moved to 2nd ave north (as kids we were confused by this move).

I'll still drive by the "old house" sometimes, which was sold to someone who moved it, and the refineries bought the land.

We certainly didn't mind "being moved", considering my parents got much more than the house and land were worth.

Old 03-08-2018, 02:52 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,563,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K LoLo View Post
I'm barely old enough. We used to live on 2nd avenue south, which was a few blocks from texas ave. We got bought out and moved to 2nd ave north (as kids we were confused by this move).
lol, your address stayed at least similar-sounding.

I lived on Wayside Drive (not the one in Houston, obviously) when Marathon's spill of hydrogen fluoride in 1987 helped put that process in motion. It also led to the emergency sirens being put up, and you getting to hear them at noon every Wednesday.

Such a privileged upbringing it was.

Old 03-09-2018, 08:42 AM

158 posts, read 181,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
lol, your address stayed at least similar-sounding.

I lived on Wayside Drive (not the one in Houston, obviously) when Marathon's spill of hydrogen fluoride in 1987 helped put that process in motion. It also led to the emergency sirens being put up, and you getting to hear them at noon every Wednesday.

Such a privileged upbringing it was.
Don't forget the smell!

Old 03-09-2018, 09:11 AM

1,907 posts, read 3,230,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
There's 2 things that cause gentrification
1. Government eminent domain
2. Increasing property taxes until people can't afford them

Rich people end up winning by taking a very valuable piece land
and poor people are screwed by getting kicked out of where they lived.
So very true.

Gentrification is horrendous. It should be handled so much better. South Dallas is undergoing this as well. If only as they building new things(because we all like new things) they build actually affordable housing along side. But they never do. and it just makes matters so much worse. DC is a horrible case of gentrification. Oakland as well.

Old 03-09-2018, 09:22 AM

12,735 posts, read 21,783,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taynxtlvl View Post
So very true.

Gentrification is horrendous. It should be handled so much better. South Dallas is undergoing this as well. If only as they building new things(because we all like new things) they build actually affordable housing along side. But they never do. and it just makes matters so much worse. DC is a horrible case of gentrification. Oakland as well.
Agreed. Gentrification, or whatever you want to call it, should look to revitalize and not to remove. Revitalizing will help keep residents there; bring in better grocery stores, nicer schools, nicer facilities, better restaurants, and fix/build new affordable houses, while keeping traditional residents in their areas.

Yes, such places have their problems (society is BS), but those places are what Houston unique.

Old 03-09-2018, 09:23 AM

1,456 posts, read 1,511,139 times
[quote=marksmu;51219017]Hard to call it screwing a poor person when the poor person buys a house & lot for $25,000 and sells it for $250,000

Convenient for you to ignore half of it. It is true though that often what you said is never mentioned. here in Austin many Hispanics some within my married family have made a good profit from selling their homes. It never makes the press.

What you ignore is the greed and you kinda probably half to because of what you do for a living. It is not profitable to you to see the dirty side of capitalism. This is where renters get displaced by higher, rising property values. Also people cannot afford to buy a house anymore. Too many people move to a city and traffic becomes a nightmare. City council encourages growth altho the city can't handle it. Greedy developers and real estate people such as yourself don't want to admit to their parts in the degeneracy, the "whooops, so sorry I wrecked your city and your life 10000's of people-I just had to make a living".

I am anti-gentrification. It is something worth fighting for. I am into non-violent protest and letter writing, uncovering national trends of greed and exploiting the poor and middle class.

From the article "The demonstrators, to their credit, have focused attention on how gentrification benefits some people and crushes others, and, in so doing, have highlighted the feeble response from city officials to to the threat residents face from displacement. "

The article is a tad lame.

Same thing is happening here in Austin and yes while a trickle of the people owning the businesses are Latino, minority the majority are white owned. It is and it is not a "white thing". 30 years ago the artists that moved here lived among the poor happily and did not try and change anything. The majority of those artists were white and they blended "with the natives". It was not until Austin was "found" by the rich promoters about 5 years ago that this wave of disgusting development came and ripped the culture apart.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston