Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2018, 04:01 AM

14 posts, read 17,269 times

Advertisements

Also another question, is Sugar Lakes and The Lakes the same thing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2018, 04:04 AM

14 posts, read 17,269 times
Another question, is Sugar Lakes and the Lakes the same thing? Thanks

Old 04-14-2018, 09:15 AM

101 posts, read 170,766 times
I don't believe so. Sugar Lakes is a neighborhood bordered by 59 and 90 in old Sugar Land, you can find it easily on maps by looking for all the beautiful lakes - I believe the majority of the homes have lake views.

Old 04-14-2018, 12:15 PM

171 posts, read 246,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by key2thecity View Post
That's the info I looked up before we moved there. I believe in diversity wholeheartedly. However, she is literally one of four or less black children in each class. I was very disappointed when she told me that. That doesn't quite match up with the report - or does it? I suck at math. But even when I attend school functions it comes across as a white school more than anything else.
Not very good at grammar, either, but it looks like you are still able to make a living...'Merica!

@here_we_come, if you are working in the med center, you may want to think about stretching your budget from 600k to 800k and moving into Bellaire or something like that, although it will be an older home.

Old 04-14-2018, 06:28 PM

4,875 posts, read 10,067,064 times
On thing to point out - Anne Sullivan Elementary was named after a firefighter who died in the Southwest Inn Fire of 2013; the fire started in the hotel's attached Gujarati (originating from Gujarat state in India) restaurant, so it threatened the restaurant's owners and patrons.

I see that there is a badge of honor in a way, naming it after a woman who came in to defend the South Asian community by fighting the fire.

Old 04-26-2018, 05:27 AM

4 posts, read 2,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicman View Post
On thing to point out - Anne Sullivan Elementary was named after a firefighter who died in the Southwest Inn Fire of 2013; the fire started in the hotel's attached Gujarati (originating from Gujarat state in India) restaurant, so it threatened the restaurant's owners and patrons.

I see that there is a badge of honor in a way, naming it after a woman who came in to defend the South Asian community by fighting the fire.
Not sure if that is a factor in the South Asian population moving to Riverstone, though I will say I personally remember the namesake of the school from my high school days...she ran on the cross country team I was a student assistant on. Since I also travel in the Riverstone area quite often, I am aware of the neighborhood demographics, and if there appears to be a disconnect between the dominant population and its local minority groups (including the white minority here) then I do have reason to be concerned.

When I was a grade schooler at another elementary school in Sugar Land, my mother famously got together with another parent and taught the various religions and their practices following a highly controversial dispute over Christmas party decorations. Since we had a diverse population (then as now), this was very easy for us to understand, and in the end I think it made a better example out of me and my former classmates. Something that is sorely missing in our tribal tendencies these days, where race relations have worsened for the most part.

If Fort Bend ISD would learn to implement some of these icebreakers for their current elementary school students, a lot of the sheltered (and divergent) Indian groups might come out of their shell and reach out to other students not like them, including the two girls at ASE and Baines who felt left out at their existing schools. Sadly, with the way the district has gone in recent years, I don't see it happening, and in the end it's the students who don't dominate the school's population that suffer.

There is one other factor that can also be addressed: the proliferation of private and charter schools in the area that often make for strong alternative competition to the established public schools in Sugar Land and Missouri City. If Fort Bend ISD knew that Anne Sullivan was going to be filled to capacity at opening, just imagine how worse our situation would be now if these private and charter schools didn't exist and everyone was forced to attend the neighborhood school. The district has done some rather shoddy planning, and I'm not surprised that residents are furious at the district over their current rezoning plans being proposed.

Old 05-14-2019, 09:36 PM

38 posts, read 33,179 times
I realize this is an old post, but DCMATT and Radiator, what private school did you end up send your kids to? Moving to riverstone soon, and I'm Indian, born and raised in the US, but don't want that lack of diversity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston