Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2018, 08:14 PM

3,163 posts, read 1,724,350 times

Advertisements

I ventured out today to find a humble home with character in mostly the Heights neighborhood. It was shocking to see some of the holdouts who still have their older homes in disrepair. Some of the blocks were completely taken over by the ugly carbon copy apartment/condos. Most were a mix of the older restored homes plus new condos with a few of the older homes sprinkled in. Then, I started to notice that Heights is not designated as “historical”. Does this mean that a neighborhood could be completely taken over by ugly condos and lower the value of certain blocks while the ones with the pretty homes would appreciate quicker? A mix would probably be the “norm”, but noticed that an entire block had been razed (more ugly condos?). Is it better to look at a place in a block with a healthy balance between single family homes and condos?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2018, 10:14 AM

32 posts, read 26,416 times
There is a section of the heights that is a historic district. If its condos that you want to avoid you should look at a neighborhood with minimum lot restrictions.

I would guess homes that are in areas that have no protection would appreciate faster in the short term, but long term the houses that have more protections will do better.

Old 03-14-2018, 10:54 AM

15,403 posts, read 7,464,179 times
Not to be pedantic, but there are not many actual condos in Houston. Most of what people call condos are town houses with fee simple ownership of the land the townhouse sits on, and shared walls that define the property lines, unless they are stand alone with a gap between the structures. There are a few townhouses in the Historic District, but most of the pre-existing ones were carefully mapped out to keep the number of "contributing" structures high. The Historic District rules will prevent future townhome development in the affected area. The rules also keep you from doing just about anything useful to your house, like add on a room, reside with Hardi, etc.

Old 03-14-2018, 11:28 AM

1,658 posts, read 1,240,529 times
I know I am repeating this from another thread but if you want cheap cookie cutter, boring and ugly, no need to go to the outer suburbs. The inner loop takes the crown of that one and it has been headed that way over the past several years.

Old 03-14-2018, 02:01 PM

5,976 posts, read 15,264,045 times
Default Retirement vessel...

I find that a lot of those dilapidated homes exist because the owners know the value of their lot, the home is often worthless. Heck, if I was up in my years, and my house looked like shyt, but sat between two million dollar homes, I could continue to fight home evaluations based on the ugliness of my home, then when ready, cash out and sell the house.

I am unfortunate to live next to such a person, but this person has other rental properties, and his house if falling/leaning towards my house. He is not poor, just cheap. He does nothing to fix/improve his roach/rat/flying-rat (pigeons) problem, and his house is falling apart. His insurance company forced him to make some repairs, and clean up a bit, but again, he is going to sell it eventually.

Unfortunately, I will lose my great views of downtown because those cookie cutter monstrosities will go up in its place, but oh well, what can I do?

Old 03-14-2018, 02:38 PM

6,288 posts, read 7,492,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HookTheBrotherUp View Post
I find that a lot of those dilapidated homes exist because the owners know the value of their lot, the home is often worthless. Heck, if I was up in my years, and my house looked like shyt, but sat between two million dollar homes, I could continue to fight home evaluations based on the ugliness of my home, then when ready, cash out and sell the house.

I am unfortunate to live next to such a person, but this person has other rental properties, and his house if falling/leaning towards my house. He is not poor, just cheap. He does nothing to fix/improve his roach/rat/flying-rat (pigeons) problem, and his house is falling apart. His insurance company forced him to make some repairs, and clean up a bit, but again, he is going to sell it eventually.

Unfortunately, I will lose my great views of downtown because those cookie cutter monstrosities will go up in its place, but oh well, what can I do?

Buy the house yourself, tear it down then build a 1 story ranch house on the lot then sell it. Make a profit and preserve your view ! What do ya think about that ?

Old 03-14-2018, 02:57 PM

5,976 posts, read 15,264,045 times
Default Ha...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Lance View Post
Buy the house yourself, tear it down then build a 1 story ranch house on the lot then sell it. Make a profit and preserve your view ! What do ya think about that ?
Heck, if I did that, I'd most likely want to move into it! These 5K sq ft lots won't hold a ranch, even if you built it sideways! Lots around here now are at about 500K, just for the dirt. By the time I'd be done, I'd be in 700-900K! But that is a great thought anyway! I'd probably put in a big pool instead with some tropical landscaping, a waterfall with a flame at the top like a volcano.

Old 03-14-2018, 05:56 PM

6,288 posts, read 7,492,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HookTheBrotherUp View Post
Heck, if I did that, I'd most likely want to move into it! These 5K sq ft lots won't hold a ranch, even if you built it sideways! Lots around here now are at about 500K, just for the dirt. By the time I'd be done, I'd be in 700-900K! But that is a great thought anyway! I'd probably put in a big pool instead with some tropical landscaping, a waterfall with a flame at the top like a volcano.

Great, when you get that done throw a City-Data pool party , but don't invite any anti-gentrification radicals ok ?

Old 03-14-2018, 08:36 PM

4,900 posts, read 13,730,475 times
I wonder if you were actually lokiing in the Heights. Some people call everything north of I-10 weat of 45 the Heights but there are several neighborhoods in there. Im not aware of any condos in the Heights but maybe somone can correct me.

Old 03-15-2018, 12:02 AM

2,452 posts, read 2,300,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by detachable arm View Post
I know I am repeating this from another thread but if you want cheap cookie cutter, boring and ugly, no need to go to the outer suburbs. The inner loop takes the crown of that one and it has been headed that way over the past several years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: