Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2018, 12:54 PM

955 posts, read 1,032,999 times

Advertisements

The more I travel around the country, the more I wonder how we consider ourselves a top tier city and yet we do NOT have a rail connecting downtown to our major airport.

Just an example of the lack of connected vision of what type of city we should become.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2018, 01:08 PM

15,218 posts, read 30,401,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Lance View Post
Some people embarrass really easily. Can any thread on the Houston forum not devolve into a Houston is so ugly or ghetto critique ?
This matters a little bit when you're trying to position yourself as some sort of destination for any purpose other than work and buying big houses.

Old 03-15-2018, 01:45 PM

5,976 posts, read 15,188,330 times
Default Hidden revenue...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
Here we go with the BS of "rail is too expensive to maintain"

How much can it cost to maintain?
It's not as if they have to build rail lines every 2 years.

Funny thing is that I never hear railroad companies that own 1000s of miles or rail complaining about the cost to maintain their raillines.
And they don't move people, I've seen a train move more than 50 wagon full of rocks.
I work in IT for an oil company, and I recall in the late 90's and early 2000's, deals were being made with all the rail companies for right of way access to their lines. As you know, the railroads have huge swaths of land that their rails run through, three miles on each side. Anyway, a lot of the telecom companies buried their fiber optic cables in that right of way, and so pay the rail companies dearly. Also, there are some transmission lines for oil and gas. So the rail companies now stay in business because of those payments, and that is what pays for their upkeep.

For the most part, the railway system is privately owned in the US. For example, if you take the Sunset Limited from Houston to LA, it takes a ridiculous amount of time, a lot of it because freight takes priority. The Sunset Limited has a stop in Alpine, Texas, for example, 4-6 hours of waiting so that freight trains can make their way through.

Old 03-15-2018, 02:10 PM

6,262 posts, read 7,410,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
This matters a little bit when you're trying to position yourself as some sort of destination for any purpose other than work and buying big houses.
I know but this thread is about a transport system that is totally contained inside IAH. There have been and will be ample opportunities in future threads to discuss Houston's general aesthetic appeal, or lack thereof.

Old 03-15-2018, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Lance View Post
I know but this thread is about a transport system that is totally contained inside IAH.
Very well then, Jack.

Considering the city itself is maddening enough for a visitor to navigate, we can surely start small and keep navigating IAH less of a headache than it needs to be.

Old 03-15-2018, 02:46 PM

1,180 posts, read 971,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by H'ton View Post
The more I travel around the country, the more I wonder how we consider ourselves a top tier city and yet we do NOT have a rail connecting downtown to our major airport.

Just an example of the lack of connected vision of what type of city we should become.
Have you flown into NYC at all?

Old 03-15-2018, 04:13 PM

2,969 posts, read 1,922,510 times
Id personally like to see the above ground people mover with extensions to the rental facility myself. If thats too expensive, I'd say just replace it with moving walkways. It does serve a purpose but I don't see the point of plowing a bunch of money into the system unless we're going to materially improve it.

Old 03-15-2018, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Clutch View Post
Id personally like to see the above ground people mover with extensions to the rental facility myself. If thats too expensive, I'd say just replace it with moving walkways. It does serve a purpose but I don't see the point of plowing a bunch of money into the system unless we're going to materially improve it.
Now that United has gutted what had been the Continental hub, it's less likely it'll get upgraded into anything beyond what it was.

I tend to favor the easy in-out experience of Hobby (plus it's easier for me to get picked up there if I have to)
and smaller airports like it, but I've used the "subway" at IAH and was glad it was there. Moved faster than I would have walking forward on the moving walkway, and got where I needed to be quickly and with less legwork.

Old 03-15-2018, 06:32 PM

7,298 posts, read 12,208,252 times
What many users here don't understand is that the Skyway can't be extended beyond the terminals, since it is airside. The Subway is landside, and any replacement system would also have to be landside.

Old 03-15-2018, 09:39 PM

955 posts, read 1,032,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbia Scientist View Post
Have you flown into NYC at all?
Yes, I've flown into Newark and took a quick train ride into the heart of Manhattan. I was able to get there without a car
Plus, I believe they have a connection to LaGuardia now so Yes. I don;t think NYC being light on public transportation is much of an argument.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston