Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2018, 08:49 AM

8,895 posts, read 19,990,094 times

Advertisements

While you know that kids who live in a cul-de-sac will play in the street, do you think it is acceptable for the cul-de-sac to become the playground for the entire neighborhood? If you live or bought on a cul-de-sac, did you do so solely for yours kids to be able to play freely out in the street and keep it filled with with toys and motorized vehicles while they are out? Or is it being unreasonable to expect to be able to get to and from your driveway without having to avoid those things? If you don’t have kids and picked a cul-de-sac, what was your reasoning? People either love or hate cul-de-sacs it seems. I’m on one but the street is small and parking in the street is quite tight. Will this location increase or decrease my resale value as I’m preparing to put it on the market?

Last edited by texas7; 03-29-2018 at 09:09 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2018, 09:49 AM

7,912 posts, read 10,082,871 times
i live on one with a 15 year old. he used to have a basketball hoop at the end (our CDS is open to a field at the very end, no houses/lots). he used to have a ton of friends come play basketball, even kids down there when he wasnt around playing on it. our neighbor with no kids complained the noise made his dogs bark and called the county and had the hoop taken while we were at work.
turns out his dogs bark at every ****ing thing that moves or makes the slightest noise.

now one of the other neighbors has 3 small children and they are ALWAYS in the street driving little cars and such. they will leave them in the street unused, making u-turning very difficult. pretty annoying.

all that said, we bought to have less traffic on our street, simply because i hate cars constantly driving by my house, and the lots tend to be bigger.

the resale on a CDS tends to be higher IMO though. they tend to be quieter, and larger lots. the tight street also discourages theft and random cars circling.

Old 03-29-2018, 10:31 AM

64 posts, read 102,381 times
I always buy homes on cul de sac streets. For two reasons, no drive through traffic and my kids can play in the cul de sac freely as you said. But I am respectful of my neighbors drive way and would not allow toys to block their driveway and i always put all toys back in our house when not being used.

Old 03-29-2018, 10:36 AM

8,895 posts, read 19,990,094 times
Thx. We’ve lived in one for 20 years and the kids always played but as people
Have come and gone many more young families with kids and those motorized vehicles everywhere. This is somewhat new to have street filled. Just hoping that when for sale sign goes up that the crowd in the street doesn’t discourage potential buyers. If they have little kids — it’ll be perfect for them Hopefully.

Old 03-29-2018, 11:17 AM

98 posts, read 91,182 times
This can play in your advantage as well. I got a cul-de-sacs house and one encouraging factor was the visible presence of kids toys and activities. I looked at it as a positive :-) Was perfect for my kids and I made the right decision. Kids are having a blast now

Quote:
Originally Posted by texas7 View Post
This is somewhat new to have street filled. Just hoping that when for sale sign goes up that the crowd in the street doesn’t discourage potential buyers. If they have little kids — it’ll be perfect for them Hopefully.

Old 03-29-2018, 12:25 PM

234 posts, read 424,670 times
I bought it for mainly the quietness and security. I read somewhere that houses in a cul de sac have less of a chance of getting robbed since there is only one way in/out. As far as a cul de sac as a playground, I say no because you still could have those neighbors that drive like maniacs coming in/out of their houses.

When we sold our house, our realtor marketed it as a cul de sac but to say how much value it added, probably not much. I think its more of a tie breaker if there is a house similar.

Old 03-29-2018, 12:51 PM

18,123 posts, read 25,266,042 times
Just recently we had about 8 kids skating in circles and walking around the cul-d-sac while playing some music and having fun.

I see no reason for anybody to be annoyed about it.
I wish every kid could grow up in a cul-d-sac to be able to play outside and feel safe.

Now ..... I agree, people also need to be responsible and not leave a bunch of crap in the street.

Old 03-29-2018, 02:23 PM

1,512 posts, read 1,789,810 times
Our current and previous houses are on cul-de-sacs.

I like the quietness, safety, and reduced traffic. Both cul-de-sacs occasionally have kids playing in them, mostly from homes up the street, but the kids and their parents respect the neighbors and don't leave their toys out in the street when they aren't playing.

Parking and blockage of mailboxes can be an issue. Our new house has a big traffic island at the center of the cul-de-sac, which helps a lot with parking. 8-10 cars can be parked around it without blocking anyone's driveway or mailbox.

Old 03-29-2018, 02:29 PM

61,647 posts, read 87,001,838 times
Did you check on the rules set by your HOA?

Old 03-29-2018, 05:30 PM

1,743 posts, read 3,818,989 times
Shouldn't be parking on the street anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston