Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2018, 05:10 AM

137 posts, read 177,043 times

Advertisements

Thank you all for the replys and for helping me narrow my search. Now I need to follow-up on all these leads. Have a great holiday weekend!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2018, 02:29 PM

226 posts, read 310,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HTownNearNative View Post
Keep in mind with Jersey Village that the Sam Houston toll road (what people refer to as the Beltway) is the most direct route to Westchase. There is generally more traffic going northbound on the Beltway (like from Westchase heading home to Jersey Village) than the opposite direction. It will be more traffic than what you are accustomed to for sure regardless of where you choose to live. Certain parts of Sugar Land are ways from US 59 so it would add to commute considerably. Green Trails subdivision in the easternmost side of Katy has the best access to I-10 for a commute to Westchase. Many homes have lots as large as 10,000 sq ft. It is a well-established, built-out subdivision. Homes are older (20 yrs) but built by reputable builders. It has walking trails within the community.

Commuting will be harder regardless. The homes closest to the Westchase area are zoned to not-so-great schools. The ones are much older than those in Green Trails (40-50 yrs old). Many may have been remodeled. Homes closest to Buffalo Bayou flooded during Harvey in the Briargrove Park and Walnut Bend subdivisions. For outdoors, you can drive to Terry Hershey Park nearby. Walnut Bend would be zoned to Westside High School which is considered an ok (not bad) school, just not as outstanding as the many Katy ISD and Fort Bend ISD schools. In Texas, public high schools are large. For Middle School I’d suggest for your 7th grader to try to get into the Grace School (K-8th grade presbyterian school) which would be 5 min away from these areas. Getting into private will be tough sadly. No idea about soccer and Lacrosse at Grace School or Westside High. Strake Jesuit is a very prestigious, academically competitive Catholic high school for boys also competitive in all sports, including Lacrosse. Could be a long-shot but might be worth trying to get in there. If you can work out the school situation, living in Walnut Bend (more likely to find a home under $500k there than in Briargrove Park) would give your husband a very short commute and more time with family.
If you're recommending Walnut Bend and Briargrove Park, I would add Ashford South/Ashford Forest, also zoned to Westside HS. Not as close to Westchase as Walnut Bend, but the zoned middle school is West Briar. I don't have kids in school, but the general feel I get is that parents are satisfied with both West Briar and Westside. Homes closest to the bayou did flood, but at least 3/4 of the community stayed dry. Prices range from mid 200s-mid-400s, depending on size and location (Ashford South was probably originally designed as the "starter home" section). Homes are 40-50 years old, but many have been updated, and there are lots of mature trees. The prices have only gone up since we moved here 4.5 years ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston