Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2006, 08:29 PM

84 posts, read 761,212 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sallybell View Post
canadian, the best dim sum i have found in houston is at yum yum cha cafe on times blvd in "the village" shopping center near rice university. it is the only dim sum place in this particular area. and it is not any where near chinatown. they do not push the dim sum carts around, rather they give you a menu and make it up fresh per your order.

regarding walking in houston, houston is mainly not a walkable city. there are no sidewalks in most places or neighborhoods are sketchy, so you probably would not want to walk. there is lots of traffic whizzing by. erase the pic of new york or toronto from your mind. we really don't have any areas like that here.

the one area that is what i'd consider walkable is the rice university area. perhaps some others can throw some suggestions in too. maybe the "heights" area as well. the problem is lack of sidewalks and if sidewalks exist, you would have to cross major roads while walking.
Although in a very convenient location in the village. Yum yum cha dim sum is not very good. The do not use the right sauces or spices and the dumplings are strange. For dim sum on par with HK, Vancouver, San Francisco try Fungs Kitchen. At least the dim sum there tastes like it is supposed to.
The reason why chinatown is not walkable is the distance between each shopping center is kind of far. Also, in Houston we are lazy and love to drive from shop to shop!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2006, 09:31 AM

2,703 posts, read 3,414,444 times
The main Chinatown is along Bellaire Boulevard between Highway 6 and just before Bellaire reaches the Southwest Freeway. There is another one in downtown. They are building some new lofts there and it is getting cleaner.

Old 04-05-2010, 01:26 PM

1 posts, read 2,518 times
I am looking for a medicine that is called a lungterraine
i need a chinese doctor that can help my father ! Please please help me my father has a liver problem and lungs and stomch he smokes but i just want about 2 more years with him please! If i may ...

Old 04-05-2010, 03:12 PM

9,598 posts, read 16,560,593 times
I'm kind of confused by the "Chinatown is between Highway 6 and 59 along Bellaire" comments. I always thought that Chinatown (or Asiatown as some call it) starts at about Boone and ends around 59. About half of it is located in Alief and the other in Sharpstown. Crime is not high but it is definitely not low either. It's not nearly as bad as some of the Alief/Sharpstown gloom and doomers would have you believe though.

Old 04-05-2010, 04:53 PM

1,192 posts, read 3,481,951 times
Default Fuzzy Boundaries for Chinatown

Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
I'm kind of confused by the "Chinatown is between Highway 6 and 59 along Bellaire" comments. I always thought that Chinatown (or Asiatown as some call it) starts at about Boone and ends around 59. About half of it is located in Alief and the other in Sharpstown. Crime is not high but it is definitely not low either. It's not nearly as bad as some of the Alief/Sharpstown gloom and doomers would have you believe though.
80% of the Asian businesses are between Gessner and Kirkwood roughly. However it's expanding constantly west towards route 6. Still pretty dense with mostly Asian even past Dairy Ashford. Then it's kind of 50/50 and decreasing until Rt 6. Not much eastward growth because the 59 freeway kind of forms a fortress wall separating the very heavily hispanic area between the town of Bellaire (east of Renwick) and Sharpstown Mall. Sharpstown Mall is soon to be some kind of redeveloped, remodelled indoor "Outdoor Market" with a hispanic theme so I doubt if that area gets swallowed up by ChinaTown but it does have the excellent Fung's Restaurant , across the street from the Mall. Just west of the mall between Fondren and Gessner it's sort of part Asian, part Hispanic, and only commercial on the north side, with mostly gringos in single family homes actually right on Bellaire Blvd on the south side. That stretch could easily go ChinaTown in the future. It will be interesting to see if the Hispanic Mall development swings west or ChinaTown swings east - battle between East and West, as it were.

To make a long story short, the actual boundaries of Bellaire ChinaTown have never been defined and in physical reality, they are fuzzy at the edges as pure Asian in the core becomes more and more diluted by other types of businesses rather gradually. Not only is it fuzzy in snapshot, but it is evolving and growing: currently with a fairly fixed east boundary that can perhaps grow just a little, and a wide open western frontier into which it is expanding to fill in with Asian businesses all the way to Rt 6. It's not quite there yet like an early poster said but it's getting there fast.

The history of the area is amazingly parallel to that of Monterrey Park / Alhambra east of Los Angeles. The same strip mall developer that started the Diho Market plaza in Houston on Bellaire started a small similar Asia-themed development there and the seed spread to where Asians are now about 40% of the population of the whole towns, including electing Chinese mayor in MP. Like Sharpstown/Alief they had previously been mainly white/hispanic middle-class suburbs. The Alh./ MP area got it's development maybe 10-15 years ahead of Houston's. I'm not sure the same thing will happen in our future, however, because many Asian residents, as opposed to businesses, are not settling there but buying houses 5-10 miles down the 59 or 8 in Sugar Land where the schools are better (however Sharpstown has the best Catholic schools in Houston).

Old 04-05-2010, 10:34 PM

1,474 posts, read 4,995,303 times
its easy to see that the "asiantown" begins and ends with a Fiesta-mart(gessner and 6). the HEB on 6 does have a few asian stores tho. the other asians(indian/middleeastern) of missionbend is slowly mixing into east of Synott tho.
one big plus of missionbend chi-town is fireworks are legal

Old 04-06-2010, 05:55 AM

12,735 posts, read 21,767,122 times
Houston is really suc an overrated city for its size. I didn't know it had a Chinatown. Shoot, in fact, I didn't know that any southern city had an ESTABLISHED Chinatown. COOL!

Old 04-06-2010, 06:58 AM

17,029 posts, read 30,911,890 times
thread is 3.5 years old...

Old 04-06-2010, 07:09 AM

10,447 posts, read 49,643,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oildog View Post
thread is 3.5 years old...
Yes it is, and the newest posts have not answered the thread reviver who really needs some help/advice. The location has been hashed out already.

I have noticed regular Chinese drug stores along Bellaire. When I was in Canada, the Chinese drug stores all had a Chinese medicine area where a Chinese Pharmacist (if that is what they are called) all man these big bins of strange plants, all meant to cure some illness. Some of these plants are more expensive then our worse prescription medicine.

Old 04-06-2010, 07:56 AM

1,474 posts, read 4,995,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A&M Bulldawg View Post
Houston is really suc an overrated city for its size. I didn't know it had a Chinatown. Shoot, in fact, I didn't know that any southern city had an ESTABLISHED Chinatown. COOL!
when boosting houston, it's *chinatown", when boosting our MPCs its "alief/sharpstown"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston