Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2018, 06:16 PM

5,462 posts, read 3,036,089 times

Advertisements

You may want to be careful because Rich areas like Bellaire , Heights flooded heavily. Some poor areas scraped through. I live in a poor community within a rich area, but it magically didnt flood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2018, 01:41 AM

1,717 posts, read 1,692,900 times
Go to your insurance agent and ask to look up a street, a subdivision and see if there are any claims on it. That is if you find a house. You can also check youtube and see if there is a drone video of flooding. Look up the homeowners association and find their page, facebook or whatever and ask. Get on nextdoor (it is free) and check that way. You can post and ask questions, neighbor to neighbor.

If you can't go door to door with your concerns, go to the local fire station. They would know. I bet they could show you their logs on those days.

So if you find a house, go ahead and look up other homes on the street. Look at the street view. Look at the outside of the homes, house by house. Do you see any signs of a line, a flood line on the exterior brick? Do you notice the low end of the street and where the drains are? What about the drainage ditches (bayous) are those deep? Does the blurb say completely redone? Those are all clues. If you can't see anything on the house, look at the wood fence. Check for gutters, too because when homes don't have an overhang or gutters the mold or rain causes problems on the brick. It's easy to spot, once you see it you'll know what I'm talking about.

There is a thread on this forum (Houston) - Which neighborhoods didn't flood. Do a search. I reposted it a few weeks ago. There are a lot of people moving into the area and they want to know. They should make that one a sticky.

Check the news sites: click2houston, channel 13 Houston, channel 26 Houston and look up Harvey flooded news. Look online for news articles. Note where they are filming from.

Old 05-02-2018, 01:44 AM

1,717 posts, read 1,692,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Lance View Post
Here's a link to a thread I posted immediately after the event (Harvey) maybe this will help you in your search..

//www.city-data.com/forum/houst...er-harvey.html
The POWERS THAT BE need to sticky your thread. Honest. So many are buying new homes, new to Houston. Lots of homes for sale.

Old 05-02-2018, 05:24 AM

344 posts, read 346,735 times
To be safe, you should assume the next flood will be within 5-10 years and will be worse than Harvey. Thus, homes and neighborhoods which didn't quite flood this time may be well under water next time. Your best bet is go for a fairly dry area and then pile on plenty of flood insurance unless the house is on stilts.

Old 05-02-2018, 05:41 AM

2,756 posts, read 3,808,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snackdog View Post
To be safe, you should assume the next flood will be within 5-10 years and will be worse than Harvey. Thus, homes and neighborhoods which didn't quite flood this time may be well under water next time. Your best bet is go for a fairly dry area and then pile on plenty of flood insurance unless the house is on stilts.
Project Brays will be completed next year or so and it's supposed to drop the level of flooding from Brays by 1.5 to 2 feet. So hopefully that helps folks that didn't flood during Tax Day or Memorial Day but did flood during Harvey.

Old 05-02-2018, 10:27 AM

1,501 posts, read 1,770,670 times
Heights? This is news to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanv3 View Post
You may want to be careful because Rich areas like Bellaire , Heights flooded heavily. Some poor areas scraped through. I live in a poor community within a rich area, but it magically didnt flood.

Old 05-02-2018, 10:40 AM

567 posts, read 1,622,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwarnecke View Post
About 70% of my old neighborhood was flooded following the reservoir release, and yet there were a handful of homes that flooded during the 2016 Tax Day Flood that were fine following Harvey (located "high", but near a couple of storm drains that got blocked by debris during the 2016 flood).

Agree - flood insurance should be considered table stakes for buying a home in Houston. There are many different mechanisms by which flooding can occur. My neighbors and I have learned this the hard way - will always carry flood insurance now.
You must be my neighbor . My other house in Spring branch flooded during Tax day flood (from drainage ditch backing up), but not Harvey. The house I live in flooded in Harvey from dam release, but never flooded before. Insurance made the rebuild easier.

Old 05-02-2018, 12:09 PM

4,900 posts, read 13,736,420 times
Assuming that houses that didn't flood during any previous event will be underwater in 5 years is a bit extreme.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snackdog View Post

Old 05-02-2018, 10:53 PM

139 posts, read 252,747 times
Did Friendswood flood?

Old 05-02-2018, 11:36 PM

6,292 posts, read 7,500,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sollaces View Post
The POWERS THAT BE need to sticky your thread. Honest. So many are buying new homes, new to Houston. Lots of homes for sale.

The powers that be, meaning the moderators ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston