Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2018, 03:24 PM

1,748 posts, read 2,478,115 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
I live in North Houston and work even farther out, so I rarely drive into town
This week I had to go OTC

I left NRG to go home around 2:30pm, holy cow ... I couldn’t believe how much traffic was on all the highways at that time
Same thing happened today. I left Katy around 8:30pm and drove into town and then North on I-45 .... insane number of cars on the highway.
I’m comparing it to the cities where I lived before ... St. Louis and Kansas City.

I don’t understand how anybody can be against giving people another option and reduce the number of cars on our highways.
I would never use public transportation. Too many crazies using public transportation, also crime would spread out all over the city. No thanks. I love my car!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2018, 03:52 PM

18,123 posts, read 25,266,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtothemak View Post
Rail is great if it drops you off within a block of where you want to go. The problem is so often especially for a city like Houston that is so spread out how do you make that a happen?
What people don't realize is that where a station is placed, it will automatically become a highly desirable place to live, even if that's not a single house in sight.

Old 05-04-2018, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeyinhouston View Post
I would never use public transportation. Too many crazies using public transportation, also crime would spread out all over the city. No thanks. I love my car!
Since you like your car so much
what do you think about reducing the number of crazies on the highway so it's easier for you to get around = support rail

Old 05-04-2018, 04:04 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,545,629 times
Is there an area served by the METRORail system that has more crime than it did before?

Old 05-04-2018, 04:37 PM

They think that criminals will finally be able to go to The Woodlands if Rail makes it all the way up there

Old 05-04-2018, 06:48 PM
bu2

24,070 posts, read 14,863,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post
I've been clamoring (really shouting) about Metra-style Commuter Rail replacing the Park-and-Ride system to Downtown! But city leaders have decided to focus on light rail for the inner city instead of strengthening Downtown as a corporate and retail destination for the metro area.

It's all about politics, just like the I-45 relocation to appease yuppies/hipsters in Midtown and Neartown, who will end up moving to the suburbs when they start having children. (Sad that a rare scenic route would be removed in this state!)

Don't forget the oil industry located here. The industry breeds lots of advocates for tire-based public transport, such as this poster:

Los Angeles and Dallas have weak cores and strong edge cities and suburbs. DT L.A. and Dallas have a fraction of business activity that Houston has.

DT Houston is styled more like Chicago's Loop. Overall, Greater Houston has a Chicago-style Downtown with Los Angeles-style suburbs. The metro is Downtown centric, despite having edge cities bounded by Loop 610.
Your points are well taken, but they point to rail for the inner city and park-n-rides for the outer areas, not the reverse.

The inner city with the density of people and jobs needs the rail. The outer areas can get in faster by bus and, if the park-n-ride doesn't take them directly to their destination, the rail will be there inside the loop so they can transfer downtown.

Old 05-04-2018, 06:51 PM
bu2

24,070 posts, read 14,863,435 times
Quote:
What people don't realize is that where a station is placed, it will automatically become a highly desirable place to live, even if that's not a single house in sight.
Ever ridden on Atlanta's MARTA? Half the stops, you feel uncomfortable even stopping.

Its like anything else. Just building it, doesn't mean they will come. Its still got to have the fundamentals to attract people even if it does have a rail stop.

Old 05-04-2018, 08:08 PM

1,748 posts, read 2,478,115 times
Quote:
Since you like your car so much
what do you think about reducing the number of crazies on the highway so it's easier for you to get around = support rail
No thanks. I would never ride public transportation. I enjoy my own luxury car.

Last edited by honeyinhouston; 05-04-2018 at 08:25 PM..

Old 05-04-2018, 09:29 PM

1,483 posts, read 1,724,671 times
There are more and younger people living further out, due to the cost of living ITL and these combined trends will probably force the issue. The more miles you have to drive for a commute is increasing, and the people who are driving those miles are falling more and more into a demographic that favors public transportation. I'd love to see a commuter rail alongside or in the middle of the I-10. It's the widest highway in the world at the beltway west--no reason we couldn't accommodate it. And then the people who are insistent on their cars would have less traffic, too. It's a win for everyone.

Old 05-04-2018, 11:22 PM

11,761 posts, read 7,254,407 times
When the light rail was introduced it was a saving grace for me as I went to school in the Texas Medical Center and upon graduation took a job there. Driving into the Texas Medical Center and then paying for parking there or having to park in a car lot far from the hospital...then wait for the hospital shuttle bus to come and get me and take me back at the end of the day was not as convent for me. I would park for free along the rail line in DT and ride to TMC and it was always packed full. I think people would indeed use a citywide rail system if it was easy to access.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston