Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2018, 08:31 AM

2,548 posts, read 4,053,700 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southeasttexas View Post
Only the most profound simpleton would think that only one person would fit into a strech limo. The illustration was drawn as a direct comparison. Impressed?
I'm so sorry to be such a profound simpleton, but I guess I am. I really need some clarification.

I'd like you, who are so clever, to explain what the heck you're talking about. Who rides a stretch limo? Who SHARES a stretch limo? If you weren't talking about a stretch limo, what were you talking about, and why did you use "stretch limo" if you meant something else? What good does a handful of big cars do for a city population?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2018, 10:04 AM

1,717 posts, read 1,692,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
The people that live in the apartments next to the Houston Dynamo station disagree with you

Circuit | Apartments for Rent in Houston, TX
Apartments. Just no.

Old 05-07-2018, 10:11 AM

[quote=jfre81;51801772]If it was bad enough to have to get out, and you didn't do it before the storm came and knocked power out, you did things in the wrong order.

If Houstonians didn't have cars and only depended on light rail to evacuate, they wouldn't leave. During Harvey, which became a rain event, evacuations happened during the storm. The reservoirs floodgates were opened to release excess.. . A plan they said they weren't going to do early. . . And certain communities like Pecan Grove were asked to evacuate.

You can bet high speed rail wouldn't be picking them up to take them to safety.

Old 05-07-2018, 11:59 AM

20,516 posts, read 33,544,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sollaces View Post
Apartments. Just no.
Just no what? Many people do not desire to own homes.

Old 05-07-2018, 12:18 PM

20,516 posts, read 33,544,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalPlanner View Post
Why do I have to keep saying this? Improving public transit WILL NOT RELIEVE CONGESTION. It is an alternative to congestion, if done well (see: the Park-and-Ride buses).

Despite what a former mayor of Kemah who would like to be Mayor of Houston thinks, I say we should be looking at BRT / dedicated bus lanes all over the more heavily developed areas of town. Which is certainly not cheap, but it significantly cheaper than rail and will provide pretty similar service (again, if done well). We would get more coverage and service from doing this than investing in more rail. The Post Oak Boulevard project should be just the first of many.

And yes, I think bus service extensions on thoroughfares in Cypress and Klein should be looked at. Don't let paranoid haters dominate the conversation. Why is there no bus service to the Lone Star campuses? Sheesh.
Perhaps a BRT over the city could work better as of now as Houston is not a dense city. If it was as dense as even say DC or Chicago, I don't think BRT/dedicated bus lanes would work as efficiently. They are putting dedicated bus lanes in DC now and it isn't working as well as they thought. Rail is still the best way to move people in large dense urban areas as it is a higher capacity transit option. But Houston is not there as of now. So I guess as of right now, Curitiba, Brazil is a model that Houston can look at.

Here's a video of that if nobody has ever saw what Curitiba is doing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mhZxFrGFjv8

Old 05-07-2018, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
LA opened its first light rail line in 1990 and has steadily expanded since.
Ah - I had no idea. I left the LA area before 1980. Back then public transport was bus.

Old 05-07-2018, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by houston-nomad View Post
I'm so sorry to be such a profound simpleton, but I guess I am. I really need some clarification.

I'd like you, who are so clever, to explain what the heck you're talking about. Who rides a stretch limo? Who SHARES a stretch limo? If you weren't talking about a stretch limo, what were you talking about, and why did you use "stretch limo" if you meant something else? What good does a handful of big cars do for a city population?
I'll respond here.
My family of four plus two teen friends flew out to Disneyworld for a vacation years ago. That's two adults and 4 teens and all their luggage. We rented a limo to take us to Houston Intercontinental (Bush). It was fun, the ride was roomy and plenty of luggage space. . . And we didn't have to put our car in long term parking.

Old 05-08-2018, 03:57 PM

11 posts, read 13,869 times
This is what I am hoping - that the rail system gets expanded. I would love to not have the expense of owing a car. Whenever I visit other big cities that is one of the main things I love - how easy it is to get around without worrying about parking etc. I don't know why anyone would be opposed to such a valuable service. NYC subways are excellent - you can get anywhere and fast!

Old 05-08-2018, 03:58 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,916,488 times
Hey, we can get uber flying taxis instead

https://www.wired.com/story/uber-unveils-flying-taxi/

Old 05-08-2018, 08:39 PM

4,875 posts, read 10,072,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
Hey, we can get uber flying taxis instead

https://www.wired.com/story/uber-unveils-flying-taxi/
There can only be so many in the air at once. In regards to regular fixed wing planes, New York air traffic control is extremely busy because there are so many flights.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston