Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2008, 10:43 AM

3 posts, read 12,709 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

I am moving back to Texas in a few months after living in the UK (Scotland) for the past 6 years. I will be returning as a single mom of a lovely 4 year old daughter. I am originally from South Texas (nearer Corpus Christi) but lived in Houston for the 4 years prior to moving to Scotland and really liked it. I would like to return to the Houston area to raise my daughter. I formerly lived in a few apartment complexes out towards Katy and liked the location. It was easy access to head south to visit my family and I felt comfortable there. I know Katy ISD has a good reputation. I don't think I can avoid living in an apartment with my daughter for a while but would like to eventually buy a home. I am a dental hygienst so hopefully resuming my career won't be a problem. I am open minded as to the best location for us to make a fresh start as long as we feel safe there. I know even the best apartment complexes can have troublemakers so I am realistic. I know my social life will revolve around my lovely daughter for the most part, as well. And if I do buy a property we don't really need something too big as long as its nice and not too much maintainance. Anyway, anyone have any thoughts on the areas I should concentrate my search? Any apartment recommendations would be great and thoughts on buying a property for the two of us. Rent up to $1200 per month (could stretch to more for the right place), buying $200,000 or less. I know Houston has a lot of nice areas but being just the 2 of us it would be great to get some advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2008, 09:19 PM

268 posts, read 1,488,904 times
You may want to consider that spring branch isd offers free pre-k if your 4 year old isn't going to be old enough to attend kindergarten this fall where as Katy doesn't offer free pre-k.

If you do decide on Katy, you can buy a 2-story, 3 br condo in Cinco Ranch for about $140K which would provide all the Cinco Ranch ammenities and good Katy schools. I live in CR and enjoy it here.

The Katy elementary schools have before and after school care programs through the YMCA.

Old 03-28-2008, 04:09 AM

Thanks Caroline (my daughter's middle name is Caroline!)

I didn't know there were condos in Cinco Ranch. That sounds perfect and definitely something I will look into. I am pretty sure that I want to stay in the Katy area. I used to work accross from Memorial City hospital for 4 years and I think that was Spring Branch ISD? I know all the housing, at least near the hospital, seemed older and fairly expensive but I am sure there is more to it then that! But for now I think I will concentrate on Katy. I can't wait to get back to Texas! Thanks again.

Old 08-18-2008, 03:29 PM

2 posts, read 4,805 times
Wink Single Parent Moving

I just found a moving company in Houston that actually discounts the price of moving for all single parents.

They're called Mighty Man Movers- 281-894-4899

I was just shocked that there are some companies out there that give discounts just to single parents. Although I know the trend of single parenting is increasing it doesn't seem like businesses are doing anything to "help" those single family incomes.

Old 08-18-2008, 05:08 PM

6,884 posts, read 20,405,752 times
Pre-K is not free in Spring Branch. Unless your child qualifies under a developmental or physical disability issue, you would have to pay for Pre-K. The same goes for Katy.

Old 08-18-2008, 05:14 PM

6,884 posts, read 20,405,752 times
Oh, duh, I forgot to add...if I were a single mom, I'd rent or buy a townhome/condo in SBISD. The best elementaries are found in the 77079 and 77024 area codes (keep in mind some of 77024 is HISD, though that isn't necessarily bad). You might find you like maintenance free living so you don't have to worry about a yard and water pipes!

Old 08-18-2008, 07:06 PM

1,288 posts, read 4,937,179 times
If you are looking for an apartment complex in Katy I would recommend the Lakes at Cinco Ranch. Excellent schools of course. Tons of daycares around, including the Katy YMCA which is really nice. I've been living there for a few weeks as temporary housing till we close on our new house and it is really nice, tons of small children, a little playground and a nice pool, and walking distance to the library, the SuperTarget shopping center, and La Centerra a fabulous new upscale shopping center. I don't recommend building 11 though, which is where we are. It backs to the highway and our upstairs neighbors are obnoxious. Good luck!!

Old 08-18-2008, 08:40 PM
cla

898 posts, read 3,308,023 times
If you can afford $1200 a month rent, you can afford a house in Katy. But renting can be cheaper (no property taxes, no lawn care, no maintenance, etc). You can get a townhouse in Cinco for under $140k as another poster mentioned, or you can spend that money on a home in less expensive neighborhoods. I wouldn't try to go to the top of your $200K budget because of property taxes. - that would easily bring you around $6000 a year in property taxes.

I would recommend coming back and renting for a while first. Katy has changed a lot in the 3 years since I've been here - I am sure after 6 years you won't recognize it.

Also, more and more businesses (including dental offices) are opening up, so I am sure you can find a job.

Last edited by cla; 08-18-2008 at 09:13 PM..

Old 08-19-2008, 12:58 PM

Thanks for the replies. The Lakes at Cinco Ranch sounds perfect. I think we will definitely rent for a while. And having places that we can walk to would be great. One thing I will miss about the UK is being able to walk everywhere and since you can hardly walk anywhere in most parts of Houston that would be such a bonus. We are moving back next week, finally! I was wondering, also, how hard it will be to get my daughter into a Pre-K. She has already gone to Pre-K for a year here in the UK and would of been starting school this week! Anyway, any recommendations for Pre-K's near the Lakes and what kind of waiting lists can I expect? I won't be starting work right away but she really loves going to "school" and I want to get her into a Pre-K as soon as possible. Thanks!

Old 08-21-2008, 06:37 PM

1,668 posts, read 4,706,996 times
You should call KISD to see if they have public Pre K available in the zone where you will be renting and if there are any openings. Your daughter should be able to enter public pre K late, I think KISD starts Monday. I'm in SBISD & use the SBISD Pre K system & love it.
Have a great flight!
Lizzy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston