Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-07-2018, 10:46 AM

1,717 posts, read 1,693,426 times

Advertisements

I've answered so many posts about what to do when looking for a house, I thought I'd share a recent search and what I discovered. The most important thing to remember is search everything.

So I found a house I loved, right price, size, pool, neighborhood, etc. etc. Perfect!

Searched for the HOA.
Searched for a map of the HOA area.
Then went to YouTube and found this video. Obviously there's many many more about flooding along Cypress Creek. I paused at each intersection sign and consulted the map so I could tell where he was filming. The house I was considering was closer to the creek so I knew it was flooded.

Then I determined the house wasn't worth it. But to double check I would've called my homeowners insurance and see if any claims were done on the house. Now maybe someone will snatch up the house anyway because it's simply gorgeous but I couldn't take that risk.

And on further research I found that area is known to flood.

https://www.click2houston.com/news/m...-harris-county
'Ravensway - 17 homes flooded'
'Timberlake Estates - 28 homes flooded'

This is NOT the house I fell in love with - Don't want to jinx that sale. But this one is in the same area and shows flood damage. Notice the outside brick lines? See the inside pictures and the mold? Don't you worry about that black mold and if a house gets rid of it all when it's repaired?

https://www.har.com/12615-craigwood-lane/sale_64424995

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UOSnf5ftV8Q
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2018, 12:15 PM

18,130 posts, read 25,291,852 times
If you live close to a flood zone .... your house is at risk of getting flooded
Harris County Flood Education Mapping Tool

Old 05-08-2018, 01:25 PM

1,514 posts, read 1,794,027 times
Flood zone maps are helpful, but they don't take into account factors such as the age or capacity of drainage infrastructure. It's entirely possible for a house that was high and dry during Allison, Memorial Day flood, Tax Day flood and Harvey to flood during a few inches of rain if, for example, a nearby storm drain has collapsed underground and hasn't been repaired yet.

Moral of the story - buy flood insurance! It should be mandatory in Houston.

Old 05-11-2018, 12:07 AM

Just saw today that the house link I posted had sold. Someone has their work cut out for them with that fixer-upper!

Yes, I agree that a house that never flooded could flood later on. If the city does work on the drains or the roads, if a new subdivision goes in.. . So many factors can affect flooding.

Old 05-11-2018, 10:22 PM

105 posts, read 236,445 times
I don't think the journalism student that made that video knows the definition of "substantial". Water up to the top of the curb with kids riding their bike through it is not it.

Old 05-11-2018, 11:51 PM

The storm caused rain over a few days. Then the rivers from upstream overflowed as well as the reservoirs releasing water. I'm sure this video was filmed early on and more flooding was occurring -- Those storm drains pushing water back up and out onto the street is disturbing. I don't live in that area but I'm sure it got worse after he filmed.

Old 05-17-2018, 07:45 AM

344 posts, read 346,869 times
Use the flood maps as a starting point. The farther away you from anything colored blue in the FEMT map, the better, particularly any reservoir, bayou, or creek.

People are starting to put houses for sale now which have been "remediated", which could mean they have sealed up a lot of moisture and mold in the walls. Buyer beware of any house which flooded.

Harris County Flood Education Mapping Tool
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: