Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2018, 08:32 PM

10 posts, read 8,165 times

Advertisements

My mother and me along with my kids are going to be making a huge move. We are going to rent for a year a two. Schools are key and so is being close to Richmond where my sister lives. I looked into a few other towns close, I have never been there so it’s basically moving on a prayer. Sugar Land would be my first choice, but it’s pricey. Than Richmond because of my sister but schools are not good. Katy seems nice but I need to research it more.

Budget 4 br prefer 1,500 per month is max.

If anyone could name some towns near by, or plug me in with somebody that could help me find a nice rental for a year or two. Basically I’m going off pictures, and google which I prefer talking with people. Any decent advice would be great. I will be moving late in summer but I need to start figuring locations
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2018, 09:16 PM

155 posts, read 149,245 times
Part of the Pecan Grove area in Richmond is zoned to Fort Bend ISD. This house only has three bedrooms but otherwise might meet your criteria:
https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...6_M75010-00585

I'm thinking you may not find a 4 BR in your price range. This 3 BR is in a nice area, zoned to good schools:
https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...4-43749#photo9

Old 05-08-2018, 09:22 PM

1,478 posts, read 1,514,057 times
‘Richmond’ is a large area, and covered by two different school districts, and several different schools. A house in your price range in Sugar Land or Katy will be zoned to schools that are no better than, and possibly worse than, some of the schools in Richmond that you can afford to live close to.

Old 05-08-2018, 09:23 PM

967 posts, read 2,610,050 times
Your budget is low. Too low for the desirable school neighborhoods in Sugar Land or Katy. But you might have a shot in Richmond. The schools will still be good in Richmond. Because your budget puts you in iffy schools in Sugar Land or Katy, you may as well stay close to family in Richmond.

Old 05-08-2018, 09:23 PM

I been on HAR I see a few under 1500 my issue what city’s and schools are good

Last edited by Yac; 12-02-2020 at 02:37 AM..

Old 05-08-2018, 09:24 PM

Sugar Land and Katy have bad schools? I figured they were great? More you guys tell me the better

Old 05-08-2018, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The 1 Outlaw View Post
I been on HAR I see a few under 1500 my issue what city’s and schools are good
Schools are hit and miss by neighborhood. you can't bank on one entire school district around here.

And as you get closer to SouthWest Houston you start to border on some real troubling neighborhoods. These 4 br homes you're finding at $1500/mo... what schools are they zoned to?

Last edited by Yac; 12-02-2020 at 02:37 AM..

Old 05-08-2018, 09:31 PM

1,237 posts, read 2,019,230 times
If you want Sugar Land, look at The Highlands neighborhood. Might be able to get a small 4br at $1500, the schools are great K-12, and centrally located within Sugar Land.

Old 05-08-2018, 09:36 PM

Why I am desperate asking you guys for help up here a town or city usually has one school district and it’s rrally good or bad all depending on said town. In Texas it looks to be much different and is keeping me from choosing a location. You guys already have gave me so much advice

The schools are partly bad they draw in from Harris country or Houston?

Old 05-08-2018, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The 1 Outlaw View Post
Why I am desperate asking you guys for help up here a town or city usually has one school district and it’s rrally good or bad all depending on said town. In Texas it looks to be much different and is keeping me from choosing a location. You guys already have gave me so much advice

The schools are partly bad they draw in from Harris country or Houston?
For better or worse... real estate prices here seem to dictate how desirable a school is in this area. So lower priced homes tend to equate to lower ranked schools.

The trick, at your price range, is to find a hidden gem (smaller less expensive neighborhoods) hidden amongst higher priced areas. Already, a couple of posters have given you hints like Pecan Grove or Highlands. For desirable schools, you may need to sacrifice size and age of the home to meet your price range. And your typical Richmond schools (Lamar ISD or Fort Bend ISD) are at least as good/bad as Sugar Land or Katy. So don't count them out just because of a Richmond address.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston