Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2008, 09:46 PM

960 posts, read 2,736,821 times

Advertisements

lol...my young brother went to Lamar HS in Houston (not Richmond or Rosenberg, mind y'all folks). Anyway, he went on to UT Austin Plan ll Honors program and now works as one of the youngest managers for a Fortune 500 company.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpgerma View Post
When it comes to high schools, you can't judge a book by its cover. You have to rely on parents that actually send kids there rather than hearsay from the forums here. I personally think Lamar looks like a terrible school because its old and ugly, but I know some parents whose kids attend there and think its one of the best. and as a matter of fact, it is one of the top schools in HISD.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2008, 08:37 AM

9,273 posts, read 26,373,824 times
What a school looks like has nothing to do with the education. You can't catch coodies from an old building.
Just like older homes in the city don't have a lesser value just because its old.

Last edited by EasilyAmused; 04-16-2008 at 09:19 AM..

Old 04-16-2008, 09:18 AM

2,541 posts, read 4,012,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by schneids View Post
Hi,

Also, how is property tax figured out?
I also was told that pearland area is a "tier 1" with extra insurance costs
cause it is closer to the gulf. is this true?

thanks,
When you look at properties in and around Pearland on HAR.com, make sure you click on the tax information for each house. They can be very different. The newer neighborhoods have higher taxes because of the MUD district (development costs/infrastructure), but there are lots of relatively new (10 years or less) houses that have taxes under 3%. It can vary a lot even within a mile or two. Also, notice the appraisal rate... a house that is selling for 200K might be appraised at 200K if it's relatively new, but another might still be appraised around 160K. Makes a big difference on your tax bill.

Old 04-16-2008, 09:50 AM

8,376 posts, read 30,568,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpgerma View Post
I have a stay at home wife with a 2600 s/ft house and we like to keep it around 74 F during the summer. (which basically means its on all the time with Houston's heat). We paid $2900 for electric and gas in 2007.

Unless you're under a giant canopy of shade trees, your AC must really be working hard keeping it at 74 in the summer. I'd be surprised if on the hotter days your house actually holds 74 at 4pm. Generally the HVAC systems around here aren't designed to keep your house much more than 20 degrees cooler than the outside temperature. I remember clearly we had a weekend when it was 102 and our brand new AC ran non-stop to maintain 78-79.

Anyway, we spent $1,900 for last year's energy, 2200 sq ft house. Things that I found helped are:

efficient A/C + gas furnace (electric heater = expensive)
digital programmable thermostat adjusted w/ the seasons
ceiling fans w/ correct seasonal rotation
all registers pointing towards the heat grades

Shopping for the best long term electric rate also helps. I haven't replaced our basic, cheap windows yet but that can't hurt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston