Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2018, 06:30 PM

2,452 posts, read 2,277,392 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clothahump View Post
The worst I ever got hit with was one night when I was teaching a class for HCC. Walked into the classroom at 6 pm, it was about 73 and I was dressed casually. Walked out at 10 pm and the roads were iced over, and I was miserable.
Cool story.

Last edited by Texyn; 05-27-2018 at 06:54 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2018, 06:44 PM

4,593 posts, read 3,246,808 times
That sort of thing can happen anywhere, though. Once we left Chicago O'Hare for Vegas for a 4 night trip, parked on the top floor of the garage because it was a holiday and the place was jammed. We were in shorts and T shirt. When we came back 4 days later the car was frozen under 2 inches of snow and ice and there we were in our sandals, scraping the windshield with credit cards. I won't forget that one in a hurry!

Old 05-27-2018, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
Eureka averages high of 55 and low of 41 in the coldest month (December). It also averages over 8" of rain in that month so most nights are overcast which prevents radiational cooling. Talk about classic Med climate, 8" of rain in December and 0.18" in July. It's too cool in Eureka for me but you have to remember it is almost in Oregon. Also, go inland a bit to Redding and see how much warmer it is!
True, but both Eureka and Redding have experienced highs in the 40s before. And Redding has had more such occurrences than Eureka.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
When we lived in Bakersfield, we had many days in the high 20's. California temperatures vary widely across the state, and making blanket statements is not a good idea.
He's referring to daily high temperatures.

Old 05-27-2018, 07:16 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,790,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texyn View Post
True, but both Eureka and Redding have experienced highs in the 40s before. And Redding has had more such occurrences than Eureka.

He's referring to daily high temperatures.
I'll grant you Eureka has experienced high 40's as the high and Redding low 40's.

Redding is actually the warmest climate for its latitude in the WORLD. This is why Med climates are supreme. Similar climates in the East Coast are actually like Toronto which is Continental. This is why Med > Humid Subtropical. The winter rains ensure very little radiational cooling and the dry summers ensure low humidity and cool nights with warm/hot days and no rain to ruin barbecues.

In this past winter, I have San Francisco and Houston on my feeds and SF exceeded Houston 75% of the time from mid December to late January. SF is less than Houston from March until October around 90% of the time. I know you're a subtropical lover but Med climates really do rule for milder weather.

Old 05-27-2018, 07:22 PM

Quote:
I'll grant you Eureka has experienced high 40's as the high and Redding low 40's.

Redding is actually the warmest climate for its latitude in the WORLD. This is why Med climates are supreme. Similar climates in the East Coast are actually like Toronto which is Continental.
And have you checked the east coast climates of the Southern Hemisphere? No continental climates exist anywhere there.

Quote:
This is why Med > Humid Subtropical. The winter rains ensure very little radiational cooling and the dry summers ensure low humidity and cool nights with warm/hot days and no rain to ruin barbecues.
But there wouldn't be any barbecues at all if you're getting burn bans due to the lack of rain.

Quote:
In this past winter, I have San Francisco and Houston on my feeds and SF exceeded Houston 75% of the time from mid December to late January. SF is less than Houston from March until October around 90% of the time. I know you're a subtropical lover but Med climates really do rule for milder weather.
Of course, this winter was colder than normal. But check out average HDD over the years, Houston is warmer than SF. While SF doesn't get cold snaps that produce extreme low temperatures, they still tend to remain in overall cool temperatures during winters (highs mostly stuck in the 50s).

Last edited by Texyn; 05-27-2018 at 07:46 PM..

Old 05-27-2018, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Of course, this winter was colder than normal. But check out average HDD over the years, Houston is warmer than SF. While SF doesn't get cold snaps that produce extreme low temperatures, they still tend to remain in overall cool temperatures during winters (highs mostly stuck in the 50s).
But SF (37 degrees latitude) is much much further north than Houston (29 degrees latitude). LA exceeded Houston 95% of the time from December to late February and LA (34 degrees N) is still north of Houston (29 degrees N). Richmond VA would be the equivalent latitude than SF and Richmond was an ice box this winter.

Face it, I'm right about this.

Old 05-28-2018, 10:55 AM

Quote:
But SF (37 degrees latitude) is much much further north than Houston (29 degrees latitude). LA exceeded Houston 95% of the time from December to late February and LA (34 degrees N) is still north of Houston (29 degrees N). Richmond VA would be the equivalent latitude than SF and Richmond was an ice box this winter.
We know that the humid subtropical climates in the US have no mountains that protect them from the cold outbreaks. So it's not really a good example to use for your point.

Quote:
Face it, I'm right about this.
No, you aren't. That's why you dodged my point about the Southern Hemisphere.

Old 05-28-2018, 11:29 AM

Quote:
No, you aren't. That's why you dodged my point about the Southern Hemisphere.
Okay let's look at SE Argentina vs. SW Chile. SE Argentina has a monsoonal desert-like climate with summer thunderstorms and dry in the winter. SW Chile has a maritime climate. SW Chile is far more moderate in temps and also isn't desert looking, it actually has a rain forest.

Now let's move up the coast a little towards Santiago, Chile. It has a perfect Mediterranean climate with bone dry summers and a rainy winter. At about the same latitude is Buenos Aires which has a humid subtropical climate. Avg winter highs in Santiago in the upper 50's. Same for Buenos Aires.

I don't think you proved anything. At best subtropical climates are equivalent to the Med in temps. At worst they are far extreme than Med climates.

Also, look at China (subtropical monsoon climates) vs. European Med climates. European Med climates (and Maritime for that matter) are far superior in any way. It gets really dry and cold in China.

Old 05-28-2018, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Okay let's look at SE Argentina vs. SW Chile. SE Argentina has a monsoonal desert-like climate with summer thunderstorms and dry in the winter. SW Chile has a maritime climate. SW Chile is far more moderate in temps and also isn't desert looking, it actually has a rain forest.
I thought we were discussing Med climates? Don't move goal posts, now.

Quote:
Now let's move up the coast a little towards Santiago, Chile. It has a perfect Mediterranean climate with bone dry summers and a rainy winter. At about the same latitude is Buenos Aires which has a humid subtropical climate. Avg winter highs in Santiago in the upper 50's. Same for Buenos Aires.
Santiago is lower in latitude than Buenos Aires.

Quote:
I don't think you proved anything.
I wasn't trying to prove anything. I'm simply correcting your (many) mistakes.

Quote:
At best subtropical climates are equivalent to the Med in temps. At worst they are far extreme than Med climates.
Not only are you wrong once again, you also fail to consider the true story as to why this is the case.

Quote:
Also, look at China (subtropical monsoon climates) vs. European Med climates. European Med climates (and Maritime for that matter) are far superior in any way. It gets really dry and cold in China.
And it gets really dry and hot in Europe. Plenty of cold to be seen in Europe too.

Last edited by Texyn; 05-28-2018 at 01:29 PM..

Old 05-28-2018, 01:33 PM

Quote:
I thought we were discussing Med climates? Don't move goal posts, now.

Santiago is lower in latitude than Buenos Aires.

I wasn't trying to prove anything. I'm simply correcting your (many) mistakes.

Not only are you wrong once again, you also fail to consider the true story as to why this is the case.

And it gets really dry and hot in Europe. Plenty of cold to be seen in Europe too.
I'm done as we're getting off topic. The whole point of this thread is to tell the OP that is does get cold in Houston. You simply cannot just be in shorts and a t-shirt year round in Houston. There are many days you need jeans and a sweater, some days you need jeans and a long sleeve shirt with jacket, and some days you need a winter coat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston