Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2018, 02:42 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,545,629 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texyn View Post
And, you know, we haven't already beaten that to death on loads of other threads.
Fair enough. How often should we space out discussing it? Or should we just not do it at all until it happens again?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2018, 03:23 PM

6,287 posts, read 7,492,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
Fair enough. How often should we space out discussing it? Or should we just not do it at all until it happens again?
If we could at least talk about it in the context of the OP that would be nice. Houston is not the only place in Texas that floods, and other places will flood again.

SAN ANTONIO — This week marks the 19th anniversary of the 1998 flood that killed at least 25 people and caused hundreds of millions of dollars in damages across the Hill Country and in counties south and east of San Antonio.

Forrest Mims III, an amateur scientist who previously wrote about the flooding for the San Antonio Express-News, said the 1998 flooding demonstrated that “unprecedented weather events can slip by forecasters” who have satellite imaging and computers

He also states that Central Texas is known for how severe flash floods can become in the area.

https://www.mysanantonio.com/news/lo...25-9984276.php

https://www.mysanantonio.com/150year...to-7626438.php

There is also major flooding happening right now in Corpus Christi and the Valley as well. Again the OP is best places in TEXAS to retire can we stay on topic ?

Old 06-21-2018, 03:54 PM

Oh. I'm sorry, I'll let you get back to your boostering more people piling into an area that needs fewer people, with the longterm survival of the entire metropolitan area at stake. Any growth is good growth to you, Jack. I understand that.

Old 06-21-2018, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Oh. I'm sorry, I'll let you get back to your boostering more people piling into an area that needs fewer people, with the longterm survival of the entire metropolitan area at stake. Any growth is good growth to you, Jack. I understand that.

Way to muddy the waters there jfre81, if trying to keep a thread on topic is boostering then so be it. I know you don't think Katy is the best place in Texas to retire and your reasons have been posted ad nauseum but you still have not identified your number 1 choice . Let us know then we can compare instead of using every opportunity possible to beat the same ole drum...

Old 06-21-2018, 06:42 PM

2,452 posts, read 2,300,050 times
Quote:
Discuss it to your heart's content in the flood control thread that already exists:
//www.city-data.com/forum/houst...nty-flood.html

Old 06-21-2018, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Lance View Post
I know you don't think Katy is the best place in Texas to retire and your reasons have been posted ad nauseum but you still have not identified your number 1 choice .
What I'm interested to know is why Katy? Why not Sugar Land or The Woodlands or anywhere else with the same stuff?

My first pick in Texas? Well, I don't think too much about retirement, because it will never happen for me. If it did I'd see myself in an RV going wherever I want. But I'll bite. I like the Hill Country. Fredericksburg-ish. Somewhere less crowded and more interesting than Katy for sure.

Old 06-21-2018, 08:35 PM

Quote:
What I'm interested to know is why Katy? Why not Sugar Land or The Woodlands or anywhere else with the same stuff?

My first pick in Texas? Well, I don't think too much about retirement, because it will never happen for me. If it did I'd see myself in an RV going wherever I want. But I'll bite. I like the Hill Country. Fredericksburg-ish. Somewhere less crowded and more interesting than Katy for sure.

The article in the OP explains their methodology and Fredericksburg is on the list. As you know these list are not fact aymmv , but I don't think Katy would be a bad place to retire. I like the media market Katy is in better and like another poster in this thread posted they did retire to the Hill Country and came back out of boredom and desire to be around family again.

Old 06-21-2018, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Lance View Post
The article in the OP explains their methodology and Fredericksburg is on the list. As you know these list are not fact aymmv , but I don't think Katy would be a bad place to retire. I like the media market Katy is in better and like another poster in this thread posted they did retire to the Hill Country and came back out of boredom and desire to be around family again.
I didn't read the list. I'm not much of a clickbait connoisseur, and I'll bet you a tall boy its author has been to neither Katy nor Fredericksburg.

Please understand that I make my statements from a position of genuine concern for the future of the Houston area and the people there. I can lay my head on the other side of the world, and what happens here will always matter to me. The growth-for-growth's-sake boomtown mentality has to end. The idea that we have unlimited land and all of it needs to be built upon needs to end. If it doesn't, Houston's existence in the 22nd century is not a sure thing.

Katy just happens to be the primary place where these ideas have shown to have destructive consequences in the longer run, simply because it's where the dam and reservoir that keeps much of Houston above water is located. It's nothing to impugn Katy as a community, or the people in it. There just don't need to be more people there right now.

I'll double-or-nothing the tall boy bet that there are people in Katy, especially longtimers, who would co-sign. Mainly because I personally know a couple of them.

Every potential Katy retiree has the right to know this, and to make an educated decision.

Old 06-22-2018, 07:27 AM

833 posts, read 1,885,106 times
Are there prettier places to retire than Katy or even Houston in Texas? Of course. However Katy is a great place to retire when you look at it.

You have lots of families that want to keep their parents close and grandparents that want to keep active with their grandchildren.
You have access to all the amenities of living in the 4th largest city in the country.
Top rated medical access close by with the largest top rated medical center in the world only a few miles away in Houston.
Katy Senior Center is a top rated senior center in Texas with tons of activities.
Several master planned communities and apartments restricted to 55 plus.
Katy itself has tons of shopping, restaurants and things to do for entertainment.

Old 06-22-2018, 01:02 PM

Quote:
I didn't read the list. I'm not much of a clickbait connoisseur, and I'll bet you a tall boy its author has been to neither Katy nor Fredericksburg.

Please understand that I make my statements from a position of genuine concern for the future of the Houston area and the people there. I can lay my head on the other side of the world, and what happens here will always matter to me. The growth-for-growth's-sake boomtown mentality has to end. The idea that we have unlimited land and all of it needs to be built upon needs to end. If it doesn't, Houston's existence in the 22nd century is not a sure thing.

Katy just happens to be the primary place where these ideas have shown to have destructive consequences in the longer run, simply because it's where the dam and reservoir that keeps much of Houston above water is located. It's nothing to impugn Katy as a community, or the people in it. There just don't need to be more people there right now.

I'll double-or-nothing the tall boy bet that there are people in Katy, especially longtimers, who would co-sign. Mainly because I personally know a couple of them.

Every potential Katy retiree has the right to know this, and to make an educated decision.
Yes they have the right to know there were areas of Katy that did flood, they also have the right to know the vast majority of Katy did not flood as well. But guess what , Fredericksburg has flooded too in the past, and those Hill Country floods are more dangerous, with faster running waters that actually sweep houses off their foundations and into oblivion in some gully. And that will happen again someday too. I agree the list is probably computer generated from a data set that was bought on-line by a out of state company. But impersonal data can lead us to proper decisions...

There are things being done to mitigate the flooding issues we have . New building codes are in place as well as a 2 1/2 billion dollar bond issue that will finance flood control projects for the next couple of decades. If you are a registered voter in Harris County I hope you support that bond issuance with a affirmative vote.

Growth is in the DNA of the Houston area I doubt there's anything you can do to stop that, but I do applaud efforts to encourage more sustainable development and smarter growth.

My beer I like in 12 oz bottles and ice cold thank you very much...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston