Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2018, 07:22 PM

8 posts, read 21,362 times

Advertisements

I am looking at Bellaire and Lamar High Schools on Har.com and it say that roughly 50% of students from both schools are economically disadvantaged. What does this mean?

I see the map on Har.com and they are zoned to where the house prices are 500k-1mil+ so I am wondering why 50% of students are classified as economically disadvantaged in these 2 high schools in Houston.

Last edited by MikeTheMan9; 06-23-2018 at 08:02 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2018, 08:05 PM

7,532 posts, read 11,507,153 times
Bellaire back in 1995 they annexed like 3 or 4 apt complexes right near Bellaire and Hillcroft because they were not diverse enough even though the complexes are a lot closer to Sharpstown. Annexing these complexes brought the overall school rating down a lot.

Old 06-23-2018, 09:56 PM

15,086 posts, read 7,138,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeTheMan9 View Post
I am looking at Bellaire and Lamar High Schools on Har.com and it say that roughly 50% of students from both schools are economically disadvantaged. What does this mean?

I see the map on Har.com and they are zoned to where the house prices are 500k-1mil+ so I am wondering why 50% of students are classified as economically disadvantaged in these 2 high schools in Houston.
Both schools have magnet programs that attract low SES students from other parts of town. Even without the magnet transfers, about 50% of their zoned students are low SES.

Old 06-23-2018, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
Both schools have magnet programs that attract low SES students from other parts of town. Even without the magnet transfers, about 50% of their zoned students are low SES.
I looked at the zoning maps and it looks like Bellaire and Lamar High Schools are zoned where the real estate prices are the highest in Houston (500k-3million+ cost). I don't get how 50% of the zoned students are low SES. Also, are there many wealthy students in these schools then out of the other 50% who live in these million dollar homes?

Old 06-24-2018, 12:24 AM

1,483 posts, read 1,708,407 times
Apartments and condos have a higher concentration of students--that's one reason. Also, many HISD parents of limited or average means who live outside of Bellaire/Lamar zoning areas apply their kids to these schools. Finally, if you're rich enough to buy a 3 million dollar home, you can probably afford private school, and many rich people choose that option.

Old 06-24-2018, 01:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerbear30 View Post
Apartments and condos have a higher concentration of students--that's one reason. Also, many HISD parents of limited or average means who live outside of Bellaire/Lamar zoning areas apply their kids to these schools. Finally, if you're rich enough to buy a 3 million dollar home, you can probably afford private school, and many rich people choose that option.
Okay, so rich people usually send their kids to private schools vs. public schools here in Houston?

Old 06-24-2018, 01:51 AM

1,483 posts, read 1,708,407 times
Quote:
Okay, so rich people usually send their kids to private schools vs. public schools here in Houston?
Well, a greater percentage of rich people send their kids to private schools, yes. That's probably true everywhere. FWIW, Bellaire and Lamar are both very good schools. I don't know why you're so hung up on the percentage of economically disadvantaged kids there, especially since it's not even that high.

Old 06-24-2018, 09:32 AM

2,969 posts, read 1,922,510 times
Quote:
I looked at the zoning maps and it looks like Bellaire and Lamar High Schools are zoned where the real estate prices are the highest in Houston (500k-3million+ cost). I don't get how 50% of the zoned students are low SES. Also, are there many wealthy students in these schools then out of the other 50% who live in these million dollar homes?
Yep, in Lamar's case, theres a lot of really poor kids and a lot of really rich kids. Ethnically, there was no majority group there when I went there in the early 2000s, and thats probably still the case. I was a magnet transfer - there were a lot of us there.

Also it was a really good school then and remains so today. Not sure the rationale for harping on the number of low-SES kids, but most kids who are willing to work hard will have success there regardless of background.

Old 06-24-2018, 10:22 AM

15,086 posts, read 7,138,928 times
Full campus demographics reports on this site Demographics / Campus Demographic Report

Old 06-25-2018, 07:51 AM

23,734 posts, read 14,840,115 times
They get the low income number from the people getting reduced and free lunches.

The school districts need to verify only 3% or 3000 of the applications, whichever is less. They send out a letter asking those people to verify their income. The schools are in no great hurry to disqualify kids because the schools get a bunch of extra money for every kid on reduce or free lunch. IIRC, it's over a thousand per student. It's been a year or two since I confirmed this info. Perhaps Trump changed it.

I read of one district that was giving 10$ Walmart gift cards to every applicant.

Some people are really bothered by that economically disadvantage number. Sometimes it is meaningless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston