Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2018, 06:39 PM

6,202 posts, read 11,451,251 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treasurevalley92 View Post
I don't deny the real danger of tornadoes if you happen to be unfortunate enough to get hit by one. I have a great uncle who was killed in one.

What I am saying is in Dallas they are rare enough to the point that they statistically should have no effect on living there. For example Delta Air Lines Flight 191 which crashed at DFW and killed 137 people in 1985 has, as far as I can tell, killed more people than tornadoes have in Dallas Country in all of recorded history.

While certainly less likely, Houston also can and does get occasional tornadoes. In either city, if one landed in the wrong place it could kill thousands of people, but that hasn't happened yet.

https://www.chron.com/news/houston-t...on-1818187.php

Lots of cities have similar or higher tornado risk than Dallas.
With the unpredictability of tornadoes and the higher risk of the higher EFs inland (like Jarrell), I'm surprised that tornado shelters (whether purpose built bunkers or reinforced basements) are not common in the northern parts of the state. But since Texas prioritizes cost over lives, this is not a surprise.

With the moderating effect of the coastal climate inhibiting tornado formation (and lessening intensity if one does form), hurricane winds are more of a concern especially if the eye passes over the immediate Houston metro. I've been pushing to get hurricane reinforcement clips installed on the frame of every new house.

When I built my current house 15 years ago, I asked my builder representative if there was anyway to have hurricane clips installed on the joints of the house. Turns out if it wasn't on the option list, then it isn't offered.

Since this is an unincorporated area, there aren't a lot of regulations the county can impose by state law. But they do have to comply with the city's building codes if it's in an ETJ. Only problem is that the inspectors won't be able to enforce the codes. Thus is Texas!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2018, 10:17 PM

21,473 posts, read 10,572,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavePa View Post
I'm sure Houstonians will thank you for making sure all there recent heavy rain events and flooding..... has newer data increase Houston's yearly rainfall averages past Atlanta's to highlight here. I could think of some better reasons Houston wants to beat Atlanta on I'm sure.
Yeah, I was here during Harvey when we got 52” of rain in 72 hours. It’s more than our average annual rainfall. But, we have also had several major flooding events in the 2010s (what are we going to call this decade?)

We had the Memorial Day Flood in 2015, then 11 months later we had the Tax Day Flood. Then the following year we had Hurricane Harvey. Two 500 year storms and a 1,000 year storm in three years (or . Let’s hope we break that cycle in 2018.

Old 07-11-2018, 06:24 AM

71 posts, read 51,168 times
Ax

Old 07-11-2018, 01:44 PM

11,761 posts, read 7,259,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OceanViewer View Post
I'm not torn any longer. Houston is my choice of the two cities. I think Houston would be a good fit for me because of its diversity, more things to do, business opportunities, warmer winters, fewer chances of tornados, and some other things mentioned in this long informative thread. I also like having the option of taking a quick drive to view the ocean from time to time. After all, my forum title is OceanViewer
I think you made a wise choice. Houston has a lot to offer and you will find lot's of friendly helpful people.

Old 07-11-2018, 07:46 PM

12,735 posts, read 21,777,154 times
Congrats on your decision! You’ll love Houston.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston