Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2018, 09:19 PM

8,895 posts, read 19,999,878 times

Advertisements

Until everyone quits moving here and needing homes, houston won’t be stopping developers from paving over everything totally unchecked. City loves their tax base.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2018, 09:37 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,558,979 times
Flooded, abandoned and foreclosed property doesn't make for much of a tax base.

Old 07-08-2018, 10:38 PM

4,754 posts, read 2,976,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
AGAIN, I said around “certain” areas and people made excuses that they were one in however hundred year events. How is this confusing?
You didn't say anything that was confusing. I just wouldn't consider 2018 to be one of those events. It was very localized flooding that cleared out quickly and the flooding wasn't widespread like those other years you listed. If Harvey hadn't had happened then this thread wouldn't have either. At least Harvey has sped up drainage/retention plans for the region so that's good.

Old 07-09-2018, 04:41 AM

15,433 posts, read 7,491,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texas7 View Post
Until everyone quits moving here and needing homes, houston won’t be stopping developers from paving over everything totally unchecked. City loves their tax base.
Almost none of the new development that covers open space occurs in the City.

Old 07-09-2018, 06:35 AM

20,516 posts, read 33,544,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DabOnEm View Post
You didn't say anything that was confusing. I just wouldn't consider 2018 to be one of those events. It was very localized flooding that cleared out quickly and the flooding wasn't widespread like those other years you listed. If Harvey hadn't had happened then this thread wouldn't have either. At least Harvey has sped up drainage/retention plans for the region so that's good.
Well that's why I said certain areas along the bayou. Not for the entire city.

BTW, to the person who is so cowardly to leave comments in my rep instead of DM'ing me, thank you.

Old 07-09-2018, 10:09 AM

Quote:

BTW, to the person who is so cowardly to leave comments in my rep instead of DM'ing me, thank you.
I wear anonymous coward insults in the rep comments as a sort of badge of achievement. I wish I could still see them all. It's a reminder that I fear no man, while others are too scared to sign even an Internet handle to something they say to me.

The only thing I could ever fear about man is not the words of one, but the ignorance, incompetence and hubris of those in positions of power and influence.

The kind that, in this case, boldly ignore reality, history and nature.

Old 07-09-2018, 03:15 PM

4,244 posts, read 8,761,226 times
Quote:

Welcome to the club

Old 07-09-2018, 03:53 PM

For the record, I don't see anyone just "parroting" other comments. This is pretty much what the rest of the country sees in Houston right now. It's as much perception as reality, but there's a distinct element of reality that we are fools to ignore.

Maybe it's a good thing. Do we want people to move here just because we can say Houston is the third-largest city in America one day, or something else only the stat dweebs in the City vs. City forums obsess about?

I know what developers and the local officials want. Contracts, tax dollars and campaign contributions. And that's just the over-the-table stuff.

What do we want?

Old 07-09-2018, 04:26 PM

292 posts, read 245,063 times
Quote: By jfre81
The reason this happens is because unlike with homeowners insurance, in which you can purchase coverage to bring your home up to current code after it is damaged, you don't have that option with flood insurance. The NFIP provides a flat $30,000 in coverage for bringing a house up to compliance with current flood map regulations. It costs about $150,000 to raise a 1,500 square foot home 5 feet. So basically what is being advocated here is after a flood, the house just becomes abandoned, foreclosed, etc. Declaring properties substantially damaged will not happen until the NFIP offers a coverage option that would allow a viable alternative to just repairing the house as is. Either pay for the property as a total loss like after a car accident, or pay to lift the house so there aren't any future damage floods. But to say that people are just stupid for rebuilding is not accurate because there are no other alternatives. The house I grew up in had flood number 5 with Harvey. Who is going to buy it? No one. Mitigation is key and that is the missing link to stopping the bleeding.

Somebody please explain to me how this sustainable.

I am also waiting for an explanation

Old 07-10-2018, 11:29 AM

6,202 posts, read 11,452,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
Would you like to meet my cousin who is in a hotel room in Dallas right now because his house in Meyerland has now taken water for the second time in a rolling 12-month period?
Who would be stupid enough to live in Meyerland? But I would completely understand if he was Orthodox Jew with the prohibition of walking more than 1 km on the Sabbath.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston