Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2018, 09:08 AM

313 posts, read 282,063 times

Advertisements

Would you buy new construction in Meyerland if it’s built elevated (including the garage) but is on a Harvey flooded street?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2018, 09:14 AM

4,900 posts, read 13,735,217 times
Yes

Old 07-08-2018, 09:20 AM

1,011 posts, read 976,714 times
No. Street flooding sucks too. There’s so many other areas close to the loop with new construction to choose from that do not have flooding issues.

Old 07-08-2018, 09:31 AM

Would you buy a home that was remodeled and raised after Harvey? I always wonder about what contractors and DIYers do when they know it’s not their home or they’re just hoping for a quick sale. Everyone was a contractor after Harvey.

Old 07-08-2018, 09:52 AM

6,720 posts, read 8,389,294 times
I would just pick a home that hadn’t flooded. There are plenty here in the Meyerland area. They have fixed the valve that was nonfunctional near Marilyn Estates, as well as enlarging the bayou. The last big rains we had didn’t have any water in the streets, even places a normal rain puddles. Time will tell if the improvements are helping.

Old 07-08-2018, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_ut View Post
Yes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meyerland View Post
I would just pick a home that hadn’t flooded. There are plenty here in the Meyerland area. They have fixed the valve that was nonfunctional near Marilyn Estates, as well as enlarging the bayou. The last big rains we had didn’t have any water in the streets, even places a normal rain puddles. Time will tell if the improvements are helping.
Westbury HS is the problem with Marilyn Estates.

Old 07-08-2018, 12:17 PM
bu2

24,097 posts, read 14,879,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3shipguy View Post
No. Street flooding sucks too. There’s so many other areas close to the loop with new construction to choose from that do not have flooding issues.
Houston's streets are designed to flood to try to keep it out of the houses. It wouldn't bother me if a Harvey or Alicia or Allison flooded the street. Normal rains, then that's a problem.

Old 07-08-2018, 12:22 PM

90 posts, read 173,796 times
Both of the OP's questions are such "trick" questions... was this intentional...?

1. "new construction if elevated (including the garage)" - probably no such thing exists, or at most is exceedingly rare.

To my knowledge, no post-Harvey new construction in Meyerland includes elevation of the garage. Extra costs aside, the slope of a driveway to an elevated garage would be prohibitively steep in most cases, because most Meyerland lots are simply not deep enough to allow for the length of a
reasonably graded driveway.

Even pre-Harvey (and pre-Memorial Day and pre-Tax Day) I know of only one Meyerland house (an original ranch) that had its garage elevated along with the house. And that driveway had the kind of slope people slalom down in Vail.

2. "remodeled and raised" - such houses won't be going on the market for sale or rental any time soon.

This is because to my knowledge, every case of post-Harvey "remodel AND raise" in Meyerland is being
done by the pre-Harvey owners who intend to keep owning and occupying the newly elevated homes.

Post-Harvey, many houses in are Meyerland being remodeled and sold or rented by flippers or "investors" - but to my knowledge, these remodels are not also being raised (elevated). For a flipper, it makes no business sense to both remodel and raise. Raising (elevating) is not only quite expensive in itself, but will add several more months of carrying costs that the flipper has to bear before the house can be sold.
Unlikely that a flipper could recoup these extra expenses in a higher sale price.

I did recently hear a rumor about one Meyerland house sold post-Harvey to a flipper who told the heartbroken sellers that he intended to not just remodel but also raise before he sold the house. I'll
believe that when I see the big hydraulic lift machine pulling up to the curb of the house.

Old 07-08-2018, 12:26 PM

1,514 posts, read 1,792,570 times
No I wouldn't. I love my cars and take good care of them. Do new-construction homes generally have elevated garages? Most I see have garages several feet below the main house slab level.

Our old house (now our rental property) was flooded by the reservoir release. I'm never buying another property, as an investment or primary residence, anywhere near a flood prone area. There are plenty of very nice areas in Houston that have zero flooding issues.

Old 07-08-2018, 02:49 PM

958 posts, read 2,573,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwarnecke View Post
No I wouldn't. I love my cars and take good care of them. Do new-construction homes generally have elevated garages? Most I see have garages several feet below the main house slab level.

Our old house (now our rental property) was flooded by the reservoir release. I'm never buying another property, as an investment or primary residence, anywhere near a flood prone area. There are plenty of very nice areas in Houston that have zero flooding issues.
I’ve never seen an elevated garage
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: