Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-01-2018, 07:05 PM

2 posts, read 5,970 times

Advertisements

Hi guys,

We are moving from california to Houston. My job is in Rosharon and my wife works from home. So we are looking to buy a house in the south houston suburbs. Dont have kids yet, so the school district is not super important in the short term

We looked at places online in Pearland, Manvel and Sugarland. Given the commute, we prefer to buy something closer to pearland town center or manvel tx

We are seriously considering buying a new construction at Manvel Tx in the 200 - 300k range (~110 per sq ft) which is very comfortable in our budget.

Do you have any suggestions on buying at Rodeo Palms? or any surrounding areas.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2018, 06:08 PM

6,290 posts, read 7,496,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ven1 View Post
Hi guys,

We are moving from california to Houston. My job is in Rosharon and my wife works from home. So we are looking to buy a house in the south houston suburbs. Dont have kids yet, so the school district is not super important in the short term

We looked at places online in Pearland, Manvel and Sugarland. Given the commute, we prefer to buy something closer to pearland town center or manvel tx

We are seriously considering buying a new construction at Manvel Tx in the 200 - 300k range (~110 per sq ft) which is very comfortable in our budget.

Do you have any suggestions on buying at Rodeo Palms? or any surrounding areas.

The pictures look great, I have no first hand knowledge but I thought your query deserved a bump...

Old 07-03-2018, 07:03 AM

4,244 posts, read 8,758,591 times
You would be better off buying in Pearland for ROI reasons.

Old 07-03-2018, 08:24 AM

9,019 posts, read 14,286,399 times
Or Sienna

Old 07-04-2018, 07:32 PM

2 posts, read 5,970 times
Thank you usc619 and mikeyyc for your replies.

curious to know why you think buying in pearland is a better ROI.

3 BHK houses in Rodeo Palms are around ~220k, while similar sized houses in pearland or sienna plantation are closer to ~300k.

In case of a downturn, it feels easier to sell a brand new house in the low 200s. Property taxes look similar, and home appreciation is also pretty comparable in all these areas.

Thanks

Old 07-05-2018, 01:10 AM

4,244 posts, read 8,758,591 times
Location and Schools are the driving force behind resale, Pearland have both.

Old 07-05-2018, 08:20 AM

1,940 posts, read 3,563,228 times
My parents built near the Pearland Town Center about six years ago when I left for LA. I'm actually visiting there right now and I like seeing all the new things when I come home every 6-8 months. They are close to the new Pomona community which always makes me laugh since Pomona in LA is very very different.

It's a beautiful neighborhood and the signs say it starts in the 260's. It has nice amenities with a creek and rec center to walk around. The area is diverse and well-kept. I never feel unsafe here and it's so quiet at night. It feels a world away from where in live in Glendale, CA which is very nice and safe but also crowded and noisy.

The whole Pearland area, especially closer to 288 is great and has quick access to the city. They are redoing 288 and it is a mess right now, but knowing Houston it will end up being spectacular.

During Hurricane Harvey, my parents neighborhood didn't flood. It rained and rained. Their lake filled up and the streets got water, but the homes stayed dry. I don't know if that will change in the future with all the construction going on, but it has lots of lakes, canals, and creeks.

Yesterday this part of Pearland/Manvel got over six inches of rain. Mustang Bayou filled and the streets got water but we were still able to drive to the grocery store and mall without problem.

Old 07-06-2018, 04:45 AM

1,748 posts, read 2,478,520 times
Skip Rodeo Palms. The community looks disorganized. Some cheaper homes thrown into the area. I would go with Pomona or Sedona Lakes or even one of the Pearland subdivisions. Good luck.

Old 07-06-2018, 06:07 AM

1,940 posts, read 3,563,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by honeyinhouston View Post
Skip Rodeo Palms. The community looks disorganized. Some cheaper homes thrown into the area. I would go with Pomona or Sedona Lakes or even one of the Pearland subdivisions. Good luck.
Originally it was Rodeo Palms pronounced like Rodeo in Beverly Hills (hence the streets have California names). When it was first opened there wasn't much out there and they way overpriced it as a luxury neighborhood. 288 wasn't even a divided freeway there and it had a dangerous crossing. When the market went south it rebranded itself with cheaper homes. Can you imagine having been one of the original buyers out there thinking it would be a luxury area?

Back in the 90's we looked at Silverlake back when it was first going in and there was nothing on 518. Once they built up that neighborhood and people caught on to a quick commute to the medical center, western Pearland took off like wildfire.

I do agree with the posters saying to try and be in the city of Pearland, but west of 288 is all Alvin ISD. I don't think that's necessarily good or bad. Time will tell. With no kids yet, you have time.

Old 07-06-2018, 01:52 PM

4 posts, read 9,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by honeyinhouston View Post
I agree. Rodeo Palms has a reputation for low quality builds. You can see a definite difference in quality between RP and Pomona, for example, just by driving through and looking at the homes. Southlake in Pearland would also be a good one to consider.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston