Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2018, 11:50 AM

15,398 posts, read 7,459,784 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by soletaire View Post
Its pretty undisputable that a majority of white houstonians (and a goodly portion of black for that matter) originally had roots in Louisiana. Actual European immigrants on the other hand would be a different story though obviously.
Many of the settlers in Texas were Scots-Irish stock that kept moving across North America until they arrived here. The may have stopped in Louisiana before coming here, but not for long. The typical path over decades was SE Pennsylvania, then North Carolina, then Tennessee, then Alabama, then Texas, via Louisiana or Arkansas.

After Texas Independence, the biggest groups that didn't come from the US were the Germans and Czechs(Bohemia and Moravia) that settled in Central Texas, and to the West of Houston. There were also numerous Germans who settled in the Houston area to farm, hence all the German names on roads in the Spring, Cypress, and Spring Branch areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2018, 11:57 AM

5,610 posts, read 4,931,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBoy205 View Post
Texas is not a Louisiana colony, but Houston and Beaumont are culturally aligned with Louisiana. The blacks and whites have deep roots from there.
There's a lot of truth to that, obviously, but as Houston grew to the north and west it also started absorbing areas and populations that had not been traditionally linked to Louisiana - as I noted before, especially the areas that had been settled by German and Czech immigrants since the mid-1800s. I view Houston as a sort of boundary of Louisiana influence and point of intermixing with the different influences of interior Texas, at least for whites. Not sure if Blacks make a distinction there, as I don't know if those with a history coming out of central TX viewed themselves as linked to Louisiana.

Old 07-15-2018, 12:01 PM

12,735 posts, read 21,765,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalPlanner View Post
There's a lot of truth to that, obviously, but as Houston grew to the north and west it also started absorbing areas and populations that had not been traditionally linked to Louisiana - as I noted before, especially the areas that had been settled by German and Czech immigrants since the mid-1800s. I view Houston as a sort of boundary of Louisiana influence and point of intermixing with the different influences of interior Texas, at least for whites. Not sure if Blacks make a distinction there, as I don't know if those with a history coming out of central TX viewed themselves as linked to Louisiana.
I get that. I was helping Jack Lance to understand what cbach meant.

Old 07-15-2018, 12:37 PM

2,085 posts, read 2,139,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
Many of the settlers in Texas were Scots-Irish stock that kept moving across North America until they arrived here. The may have stopped in Louisiana before coming here, but not for long. The typical path over decades was SE Pennsylvania, then North Carolina, then Tennessee, then Alabama, then Texas, via Louisiana or Arkansas.

After Texas Independence, the biggest groups that didn't come from the US were the Germans and Czechs(Bohemia and Moravia) that settled in Central Texas, and to the West of Houston. There were also numerous Germans who settled in the Houston area to farm, hence all the German names on roads in the Spring, Cypress, and Spring Branch areas.
Right...they came from Louisiana to Houston, like i said...everyone in america came from somewhere else to get where they are now. Theres a slight, but somewhat obvious german influence in Houston, but nowhere near the Louisiana ties that have always existed in Houston and that still exist today.

Much of North Texas was settled by Arkansans, Tennesseeans and Missourians following the Southwest Trail. They probably only stopped in those states too for a couple of generations, but many of the northeast Texas and North Texas counties are named for people from those states.

Last edited by soletaire; 07-15-2018 at 12:46 PM..

Old 07-15-2018, 06:42 PM

1,717 posts, read 1,690,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkansas Ozarks View Post
In Houston most African American came from Houston,TX. Most Asian in Houston came came from Asia countries and Most Hispanic came from Spanish speaking countries. So what is the Origins of Whites population
My eyebrows raised. "What?"
Who cares? I honestly don't and I'm white.

If you want the right answers, consult a history of Texas. It's rich and deep and very meaningful. It's why our state is so proud of who we are -- Culturally diverse, fighting for our independence from Mexico.

Old 07-16-2018, 12:00 AM

18,123 posts, read 25,262,858 times
White people in Houston come from Montgomery county

Old 07-16-2018, 07:12 AM

12,059 posts, read 13,879,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soletaire View Post
Its pretty undisputable that a majority of white houstonians (and a goodly portion of black for that matter) originally had roots in Louisiana. Actual European immigrants on the other hand would be a different story though obviously.
Yeah this proves that the "stock" in the Houston and Beaumont area are mainly Louisianians which is what I said.

Old 07-16-2018, 07:17 AM

12,059 posts, read 13,879,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post

That map doesn't indicate that. It shows the state of birth and the state of residence. Harris County is LA/LA as is most of Southeast Texas including Corpus Christi (that was news to me).

The map should be interpreted to mean that settlers in Southeast Texas came from Louisiana. This means that they were primarily of French (Catholic) origin being born in Louisiana and having resided in Louisiana. What the map doesn't say is which part of Louisiana they came from, but since the majority of the population in Louisiana live in the southern portion of the state, we can assume most came from that part. So we can safely say they were either Cajuns or Creoles. Since we're talking about about whites and Creole generally means mixed with some African, it can be assumed that most of those immigrants were indeed Cajun French.

This is a big part of the history of Houston and why Houston is called "Bayou City" instead of "Stream City" or "Creek City".

Last edited by cBach; 07-16-2018 at 07:29 AM..

Old 07-16-2018, 08:10 AM

8,376 posts, read 30,689,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
That map doesn't indicate that. It shows the state of birth and the state of residence. Harris County is LA/LA as is most of Southeast Texas including Corpus Christi (that was news to me).
The map shows what happened from 1835-1880. I wonder what a map of more recent times, say the past 50 years would show...

Old 07-16-2018, 08:49 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,305,920 times
Before the "new South" or "Sunbelt" boom that started drawing large numbers of people from the North to Texas in the 50s and 60s, the vast majority of Southern non-Hispanic white people were Scotch-Irish in ancestry. In Texas, as noted above, Central Texas had a substantial population of German ancestry and Southeastern Texas a substantial French-Cajun group; but I believe even in those areas you would find the Scotch-Irish predominated. The majority of non-German settlers in Texas during the 1700s and 1800s were from other Southern states to the east.

With the influx of people from the North (Air conditioning!) of course their own ethnicities are now present, as in Italians, Irish from the 1840s and 1850s, Eastern Europeans, etc.

As far as Hispanics - which is not a race - you should never forget that a large number of Hispanic people have always been in Texas. The "Spanish speaking country" they were living in was converted to another country, and then to yet another country, and then was annexed to the United States.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston