Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2018, 02:31 PM

132 posts, read 95,081 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBoy205 View Post
I wouldn’t say through and through. I’ll give that to Dallas or Fort Worth.
Houston is international. Walk along main street and look at the people. Listen to the languages.

Not just DT but outside the loop, too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2018, 03:21 PM

12,735 posts, read 21,774,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by detachable arm View Post
Yet the census data I posted on the last page says what you wrote is not the case at all. It shows all the big city counties in Texas are no more than 0.4% Cajun, same for Chambers and Liberty counties, same as San Diego and Los Angeles counties. What’s up with that?
A lot of people in Louisiana may not be “Cajun” by demographics, but they are “Cajun” by lifestyle. This is the same for Houston.

Old 07-17-2018, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwinpa7 View Post
Houston is international. Walk along main street and look at the people. Listen to the languages.

Not just DT but outside the loop, too.
I know Houston is international. However, the core of Houston’s culture is southern hands down.

Old 07-17-2018, 05:02 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,886,180 times
Quote:
Yet the census data I posted on the last page says what you wrote is not the case at all. It shows all the big city counties in Texas are no more than 0.4% Cajun, same for Chambers and Liberty counties, same as San Diego and Los Angeles counties. What’s up with that?
To be honest it's all "self reported." The only way to know for sure is to do a DNA test and your link wasn't based on DNA test results.

This DNA test shows the reality of where most of the ethnic groups originated. Look how Acadians and Cajuns have the same "DNA".

https://3c1703fe8d.site.internapcdn....cestrycoma.jpg

Many people in Louisiana aren't Cajun per se as there was a lot of intermixing with Blacks, Spanish, Italians, Irish, even German.

As an example, there was an area above New Orleans called the "German coast". Those people were German but they gallicized their names and intermarried with the French Creoles. You had to do that or you wouldn't be welcomed into society.

A bunch of Spaniards settled near New Iberia and again they gallicized their names. Jambalaya comes from paella originally.

What Louisiana did was a complete melting pot of the various cultures to create the cultural gumbo that is modern Louisiana. There could be a sunburnt Irish in Lafayette but he still likes crawfish and makes gumbo for instance.

That being said, if say an Irishman from Louisiana who cooked jambalaya and liked the Saints moved to Houston, even though he's not Cajun in blood, he has the traits of a Cajun and adds to the Cajun culture. You would consider him a "Louisiana Cajun" even though he's Irish because he self identifies with that culture. There was a lot of that.

Old 07-17-2018, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
To be honest it's all "self reported." The only way to know for sure is to do a DNA test and your link wasn't based on DNA test results.

This DNA test shows the reality of where most of the ethnic groups originated. Look how Acadians and Cajuns have the same "DNA".

Many people in Louisiana aren't Cajun per se as there was a lot of intermixing with Blacks, Spanish, Italians, Irish, even German.

As an example, there was an area above New Orleans called the "German coast". Those people were German but they gallicized their names and intermarried with the French Creoles. You had to do that or you wouldn't be welcomed into society.

A bunch of Spaniards settled near New Iberia and again they gallicized their names. Jambalaya comes from paella originally.

What Louisiana did was a complete melting pot of the various cultures to create the cultural gumbo that is modern Louisiana. There could be a sunburnt Irish in Lafayette but he still likes crawfish and makes gumbo for instance.

That being said, if say an Irishman from Louisiana who cooked jambalaya and liked the Saints moved to Houston, even though he's not Cajun in blood, he has the traits of a Cajun and adds to the Cajun culture. You would consider him a "Louisiana Cajun" even though he's Irish because he self identifies with that culture. There was a lot of that.
Can’t believe I agree with you. Lol.

That’s just like non-Creole blacks identifying with the Creole culture.

Old 07-17-2018, 07:48 PM

1,658 posts, read 1,241,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post

Interesting but no surprise the map shows upper south DNA is predominant in Houston, Dallas, Fort Worth & Austin. (Deep South DNA near Corpus and South of San Antonio is not a surprise to me either.)

Anyway I hear y'all about the culture thing. There has always been a Texas "bye-oh" culture around the coastal areas such as Baytown, south Brazoria county & Galveston County south of League City. I don't see much of it in Houston proper; the west side has never really had it since I was a kid growing up there. With even more growth that culture will go extinct in the next 50 years. It doesn't really go full-on Cajun until you get into southeast Jefferson county where you regularly see airboats.

Old 07-17-2018, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Interesting but no surprise the map shows upper south DNA is predominant in Houston, Dallas, Fort Worth & Austin. (Deep South DNA near Corpus and South of San Antonio is not a surprise to me either.)

Anyway I hear y'all about the culture thing. There has always been a Texas "bye-oh" culture around the coastal areas such as Baytown, south Brazoria county & Galveston County south of League City. I don't see much of it in Houston proper; the west side has never really had it since I was a kid growing up there. With even more growth that culture will go extinct in the next 50 years. It doesn't really go full-on Cajun until you get into southeast Jefferson county where you regularly see airboats.
I see the Cajun culture minimizing in the future. You’ll still see it in the form of restaurants. There are too many Cajun restaurants for the culture to go extinct. Also, there’s a strong alligator hunting in Chambers County.

Old 07-18-2018, 07:19 AM

1,658 posts, read 1,241,465 times
Quote:
I see the Cajun culture minimizing in the future. You’ll still see it in the form of restaurants. There are too many Cajun restaurants for the culture to go extinct. Also, there’s a strong alligator hunting in Chambers County.
Lots of Cajun restaurants in Dallas. Also alligator hunting is strong in Florida and south Arkansas. Just sayin’.

Old 07-18-2018, 07:58 AM

Quote:
I've heard people say this but it keeps expanding.

In the 1970's for instance, there was no Mardi Gras in Galveston, Saint Louis, or Seattle.

Now those cities have Mardi Gras celebrations. Even Austin has a large Mardi Gras celebration on 6th Street.

The fact is that people really like the Cajun culture. People visit Louisiana just to see it. They eat gumbo, they go to Mardi Gras, they walk the French Quarter. I don't see that going away anytime soon and if anything expanding.

I heard after Katrina that Atlanta started getting in on the Cajun culture as well as lots of Katrina folks settled there. They were primarily black but they are "Creoles" in the sense they like gumbo, crawfish, and the Saints even if their DNA wasn't necessarily Creole.

Old 07-18-2018, 08:28 AM

Interesting article on the Cajuns in Texas:

https://texasalmanac.com/topics/culture/cajun-texans
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston