Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-20-2018, 04:52 PM

3,163 posts, read 1,726,240 times

Advertisements

I recently chose AMBIT ENERGY as my electric provider. Although the kWh charge does seem inexpensive (6 cents/kWh), I was surprised to see a $10 Disconnect charge on my first bill. The bill was due by the 25th, but received on the 26th by snail mail. According to the Cust “service” rep, this was not a late charge, but a “Disconnect notice” that was generated on the 26th. He then said that ALL electric providers charge this (which I find hard to believe). He then said that he could not waive the fee. When I asked him about cancelling, he told me about the $199 termination fee, which I did remember reading about in the initial contract. Is it true that ALL electric companies charge this disconnect fee? I’m saddened that he said that he couldn’t even waive it as a one time courtesy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2018, 05:52 PM

702 posts, read 1,236,654 times
.06 seems incredibly low when prices have spiked this year. This might be their fee not including the delivery charges from centerpoint?

Btw, found this in my contract.

"Fees not included in the price above: Disconnect
Notice Fee: $10
; Returned Payment Charge: $25;
Disconnect Recovery: $30; Service Processing Fee: up
to $5.95; Late Payment Penalty: 5% of past due
balances; Information on other non-recurring fees is
available in the pricing section of your Terms of
Service."

Old 07-20-2018, 06:08 PM

3,163 posts, read 1,726,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by huma281 View Post
.06 seems incredibly low when prices have spiked this year. This might be their fee not including the delivery charges from centerpoint?

Btw, found this in my contract.

"Fees not included in the price above: Disconnect
Notice Fee: $10
; Returned Payment Charge: $25;
Disconnect Recovery: $30; Service Processing Fee: up
to $5.95; Late Payment Penalty: 5% of past due
balances; Information on other non-recurring fees is
available in the pricing section of your Terms of
Service."
I think that you are right. Does Centerpoint have this “delivery charge” assessed to every electric provider? Same “delivery charge”? What happens when a subscriber receives electricity DIRECTLY from Centerpoint? Maybe I should try Solar and dump all of these gouges? This is all very new to me.

Old 07-20-2018, 08:09 PM

15,437 posts, read 7,491,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopelesscause View Post
I think that you are right. Does Centerpoint have this “delivery charge” assessed to every electric provider? Same “delivery charge”? What happens when a subscriber receives electricity DIRECTLY from Centerpoint? Maybe I should try Solar and dump all of these gouges? This is all very new to me.
Centerpoint owns all of the power distribution network including the meters, and does not sell electricity. Centerpoint is a regulated utility, and the delivery rates are approved by the Public Utilities Commission. All customers of the various power generators pay the Centerpoint charge, since none of the generators own any power lines.

Old 07-21-2018, 07:33 AM

676 posts, read 931,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopelesscause View Post
If you are connected to the CenterPoint grid in any sort of way, you pay the delivery fee. Even if you have solar.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston