Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-13-2006, 12:59 PM

4 posts, read 11,551 times

Advertisements

I have been reading some of the posts here and have found some very helpful information but am still in need of more. I will be moving to the Houston area in the next 3-6 months to take a job that is located in Pasadena, TX. We have friends that live in Katy and ideally would like to live by them but it seems like the commute would be a bit much, 42 miles according to Mapquest. I would like to keep my commute around 30-40 minutes at the most if possible. We have twin boys that are now 16 months old so schools will be a very important factor for us in the coming years. We are also very concerned about hurricanes/tropical storms as we have never experienced anything like this in Southern California. It seems to me that the closer you are to the ocean or bay the harder you will be hit with damage and flooding from these storms. We would ideally like to buy a home that is either new or built within the last 5 years or so and in a community that is clean and has a low crime rate. Any information on cities/areas and commute times would be greatly appreciated, we will be flying to Houston the first week of January to check everything out. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2006, 07:52 PM

23,015 posts, read 34,383,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocfamily View Post
I have been reading some of the posts here and have found some very helpful information but am still in need of more. I will be moving to the Houston area in the next 3-6 months to take a job that is located in Pasadena, TX. We have friends that live in Katy and ideally would like to live by them but it seems like the commute would be a bit much, 42 miles according to Mapquest. I would like to keep my commute around 30-40 minutes at the most if possible. We have twin boys that are now 16 months old so schools will be a very important factor for us in the coming years. We are also very concerned about hurricanes/tropical storms as we have never experienced anything like this in Southern California. It seems to me that the closer you are to the ocean or bay the harder you will be hit with damage and flooding from these storms. We would ideally like to buy a home that is either new or built within the last 5 years or so and in a community that is clean and has a low crime rate. Any information on cities/areas and commute times would be greatly appreciated, we will be flying to Houston the first week of January to check everything out. Thanks.
You also have to think about traffic and how rain can slow down the traffic really bad and make 42 miles seem like forever. Have you thought about the Clear Lake area? There are nice homes and schools. In Houston you can get flooded out just about anywhere from a rain storm, it doesn't always take a hurricane.

Old 12-14-2006, 12:52 AM

2 posts, read 11,767 times
I came from Southern Cal. (San Fernando Valley ands OC area) about 13 years ago. When I lived in So. Cal. I was in three major Earthquakes (San Fernando, Whittier and Northridge), many brush fires and mudslides. Life goes on and you learn about insurance the hard way.

First let me address your concern about Hurricanes/Tropical storms.
TS Allison hit Houston on June 8-9 2001 and was concentrated around Brays Bayou and the Medical Center. Many of the areas of Houston that flooded were in the 100+ year floodplain, so it is something that we just have to live with, just like Earthquakes, mudslides, brush fires in So. Cal..

Fact we are in the region for Hurricanes but have had only two direct hits to the Houston/Galveston area ever. So have your flood insurance paid, board up the windows, have emergency supplies for 5 days or leave ( go north or west 200+ miles) 2-3 days before it hits (Yes we have warnings unlike Earthquakes).

I would recommend the following communities to you Clear Lake, Deer Park, Friendswood, and Pearland. You will find these communities to be more like OC.

Vinnie

Old 12-14-2006, 12:07 PM

52 posts, read 262,394 times
it takes me about 45 mins. to get to pasadena from katy. I have done the mason road exit in katy to shaver/richie exit in pasadena and it's about 45 mins. Am from ca as well. the traffic's a bit better here than in the sacramento and bay area region, but it began to bother me once I became used to the usually easier drives (when i compare it to n. ca traffic).

Old 01-10-2007, 09:01 PM

5 posts, read 32,098 times
If you want to not worry about evacuations, you are going to have to have a long commute. There are a lot of new home communities along the Beltway 8 on the east side of town north of I-10. If you don't mind paying tolls, I believe the commute down the Beltway shouldn't be too painful.

I'm sure coming from California, you will be happy with how much house you can buy with your money!

Old 01-10-2007, 09:37 PM

4,875 posts, read 10,072,540 times
if you work in Pasadena, and want typical American suburban Houston, buy in Clear Creek ISD.

Dickinson ISD may go "suburban" too.

In some ways, League City, TX is a double suburb, as it has people who work in Galveston and in Houston.

Old 01-11-2007, 09:59 AM

4 posts, read 11,551 times
We finally were able to visit Houston last week and check out some of the different areas. Even though it will not be the shortest commute by any means, my wife and I fell in love with The Woodlands. We found that The Woodlands was not only a beautiful area but had a lot of the same shops and ammenities that we are used to in Southern California. We visited Katy, Sugarland and Pearland while we were visiting but it was The Woodlands that felt most like a place we could call home. My hours at my job in Pasadena would be from 7:00am to 4:00pm. It seems to me that except in cases of bad weather if I take the Hardy Toll I could get to work in 45-60 minutes and would probably take just over an hour to get home. Does anyone on this Forum commute to Pasadena or close by from The Woodlands that could confirm that for me? Thanks everyone for your input, we are one step closer to making our move.

Old 02-23-2007, 12:07 AM

4 posts, read 21,626 times
I work in Pasadena and live in Katy. Ive also driven from the Woodlands on many occassions. Your best bet is to get an EZ tag and use the hardy toll road to the 610 loop. Then travel 610 east over the ship channel and your there. Unless the weather is poor or a traffic accident has occurred, the commute is not too extreme. Im originally from Huntington Beach, CA and can honestly say that the traffic in Houston is a bit less frustrating. However, use of the toll way makes things alot less hectic. Hope this helps and congrats on selecting the Woodlands, very nice area.

Old 02-23-2007, 11:08 AM

657 posts, read 2,545,344 times
The Woodlands is very nice, but keep in mind it's not just the toll fees, but the gas you'll have to pay for. You could probably use a Prius. You might want to check out Friendswood and Clear Lake before you make your final decision.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston