Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2007, 02:52 PM

944 posts, read 3,064,009 times

Advertisements

I'm still deciding on what to do about a move to Houston. I was offered a job at the University of Houston (that they are holding for a year, so I don't have to decide right away). Thank you all for your wonderful advice in the other thread.

The thing that's been troubling me now, though, and is a bit of a hitch in my decision-making, is wondering whether moving to Houston would be a move into ecological hardship. I've been reading these articles about how Houston is sinking (as the rest of the Gulf Coast is), and what this means for flooding. Apparently, this has led to quite stark settlement of entire neighborhoods due to ground water pumping, and people noticing that their neighborhoods now flood EVERY time it rains (which is all the time), whereas they never flooded before. Things keep shifting... Combined with global warming, I'm not so sure that's a good thing. I have a friend who lived in Houston during the big flood in 2001 or whatever it was, and he said "Yeah, we all lost our cars," and he brushed it off with a "#$it happens" kind of attitude. I would not be one of those people who would be able to brush something like that off so easily. I also want my home and car to be insurable long term, and I believe insurers are covering less and less and charging more and more.

What are the locals' take on these fears of mine, what the flooding outlook is, what all of this would cost me in terms of losing property value, money to insurance coverage, etc. living anywhere near UH. I mean, is UH going to go bust because it's in the middle of a flood zone anyway? I have no reality basis here--just checking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2007, 05:38 PM

179 posts, read 858,560 times
Bad things happen everywhere....whether it's blizzards, tornadoes, hurricanes, etc. However Houston has a good emergency plan in case something happens.

Just be prepared is my motto.

Old 04-29-2007, 06:03 PM

I'm not worried about drowning vs. evacuating. I'm worried about paying for damage, and having a $60,000 deductible saved up for my flood policy.

Old 04-29-2007, 06:39 PM

2,628 posts, read 8,835,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hello13685 View Post
I'm still deciding on what to do about a move to Houston. I was offered a job at the University of Houston (that they are holding for a year, so I don't have to decide right away). Thank you all for your wonderful advice in the other thread.

The thing that's been troubling me now, though, and is a bit of a hitch in my decision-making, is wondering whether moving to Houston would be a move into ecological hardship. I've been reading these articles about how Houston is sinking (as the rest of the Gulf Coast is), and what this means for flooding. Apparently, this has led to quite stark settlement of entire neighborhoods due to ground water pumping, and people noticing that their neighborhoods now flood EVERY time it rains (which is all the time), whereas they never flooded before. Things keep shifting... Combined with global warming, I'm not so sure that's a good thing. I have a friend who lived in Houston during the big flood in 2001 or whatever it was, and he said "Yeah, we all lost our cars," and he brushed it off with a "#$it happens" kind of attitude. I would not be one of those people who would be able to brush something like that off so easily. I also want my home and car to be insurable long term, and I believe insurers are covering less and less and charging more and more.

What are the locals' take on these fears of mine, what the flooding outlook is, what all of this would cost me in terms of losing property value, money to insurance coverage, etc. living anywhere near UH. I mean, is UH going to go bust because it's in the middle of a flood zone anyway? I have no reality basis here--just checking.
Remember you asked for opinions...

God luv ya, but I think you have lost your mind! At the very least you are mind%(^*@ yourself like a "ecological hypochondriac." You are inventing situational/ecological ills that do not exist. (Well, some may exist but I think you are over reacting to the percieved peril).

Noooo, U of H is not going to go bust anytime soon.

Is the neighborhood you read about Brownwood? That was one neighborhood that sunk in one weird area by the coast.

Last edited by modster; 04-29-2007 at 06:48 PM..

Old 04-29-2007, 07:47 PM

Hi Modster, That's too funny that you pegged me as an ecological hypochondriac (because I can be a medical hypochondriac too!)

I did read about Brownwood, but this article also talked about various neighborhoods that keep shifting, so rain that used to flow into one now flows into another, and so on.

But yes, my friend and his friends did all completely lose their cars and many belongings in the 2001 flood. And yes, I can be a hypochondriac, but had you asked me six years ago if the twin towers would fall, or had you asked most US citizens if one storm could have done the damage it did to New Orleans, I think most people would have said "Oh, come one now, you're exaggerating..."

Old 04-29-2007, 09:20 PM

2,628 posts, read 8,835,641 times
Oh good Lord & Taylor!

Yes, anywhere and everywhere could have some sort of man-made or natural disaster.

So where is the next disaster going to be? For example, are we going to sink into the Gulf before or after your old stomping grounds in California falls into the Pacific?

You can hypothetical-situation yourself into a neurotic frenzy if you put a little effort into it. You have other things to worry about.

Besides, if you found San Antonio too slow and provincial, you would be much happier in Houston. Especially if you stay more in the city.

Old 04-29-2007, 11:21 PM

Yes, maybe losing my car and great grandmother's antiques to a flood in Houston might be better than suffering the drone of San Antonio's flat energy. (By the way, to my knowledge, property-destroying floods and subsidence in Houston are not merely hypothetical. California falling into the ocean is...)

As an aside, I suppose that much of a place is about the people, and I haven't really found like-minded, CURIOUS people in SA. Is curiosity about the world (beyond a backyard family barbecue) too much to ask of a culture? I'm assuming that a more worldly population in Houston might have more worldly attitudes...

And yes, I work myself into frenzies on a regular basis, especially since I moved to SA

Old 04-30-2007, 01:10 AM

2 posts, read 6,709 times
Career Advice from "The Donald"
This man didn't become a billionaire without knowing a few things about climbing the career ladder. Now, Donald Trump shares his advice on some common career conundrums.

Should women use sex appeal to get ahead?
"There's a professor from Yale, Professor [Jeffrey] Sonnenfeld. He says the real workplace doesn't use sex appeal. And I say, you'd better stay a professor and not go into business! The fact is, there are certain women who are able to use sex appeal to win. Because I'm such a diplomat, I want to say to never use it. But the fact is, life is loaded with it."

Do you think it's a sign of weakness if a woman cries at the workplace?
"I think it's a weakness, and you shouldn't do it. Your boss doesn't want to see it; nobody wants to see it. They'll be talking behind your back."

What should you do if you're in a job that isn't quite right for you?
"Let's say I'm a coal miner. Now, that's a tough job: you go into the mines, you don't get that much money, you work all day long, and after 20 years you catch black lung disease. If I were a coal miner and if I didn't like it, I'd pick up a newspaper and say, 'What area of the country is doing great? Is it Seattle? Is it New York City?' I'd get my ass moving to that area and I'd get a job that I like better."

Job Interviews: Dos and Don'ts
Donald Trump and his right-hand woman, Trump Organization Vice President Carolyn Kepcher, offer their insights on how to ace an interview.

When asked, "Tell me about yourself..."
DO start on a positive note.
DON'T reveal details about your personal life.

If you're feeling nervous...
DO calm your nerves by remembering that there are bigger events going on in the world.
DON'T lose your perspective; it's just a job interview.

After the interview...
DO send a thank you note after you know how the interview went.
DON'T miss the details, like the correct spelling of somebody's name.

Old 04-30-2007, 08:34 AM

76 posts, read 388,796 times
"Ecological harship"? Lol, um no. Less damage from weather here than anywhere else I've ever lived.

Old 04-30-2007, 01:12 PM

5,429 posts, read 14,847,219 times
Just research an area before you move there. We had no problems in the 2001 flood at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston