Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-31-2008, 09:44 PM

34 posts, read 136,328 times

Advertisements

Everyone thinks I am crazy!

I live in Eastern Colorado in a small farming town- flat lands and lots of winds- not beautiful Mountains like one sees on TV! But we don't have to lock our doors and everyone knows everyone!

I grew up in CA and Hawaii so hot and humid don't scare me.

I breed and show dogs- so I have a lot of dogs to move that is what I worry about.

I have family that lives in Conore- the only family I have so I am wanting to move closer to them.

We have been looking in Montgomery and surrounding areas- need some acres as we also have llamas and emus! I need to be about an hour or so from an airport because we ship dogs all the time.

Thoses of you that live in the area- do you think I am crazy? Will it be too hard on the dogs? We plan to get a/c in the kennel area- remember we currently live in the cold so we have heaters on 6 months of the year, the water freezes and the dogs get snow balls on their fur when they run around.

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2008, 10:07 PM

1,188 posts, read 3,464,788 times
My wife and her ex raised pits, newfies, and labs and didn't have any problems, even right in the city limits of Houston.

Old 03-31-2008, 10:08 PM

1,188 posts, read 3,464,788 times
I should add, however, that many neighborhoods have strict deed restictions that may limit large scale dog and kennel operations. Even some "large lot" acreage subdivisions may restrict you. Research very carefully before you buy your property.

Old 03-31-2008, 10:43 PM

960 posts, read 2,736,580 times
That would have to be outside of the city limited number of pets allowed in the city limit. It's possibly in a ranch setting. But pitbulls are not welcomed!

Old 03-31-2008, 11:22 PM

34 posts, read 136,328 times
No pits just beautiful white golden retrievers.

Old 04-01-2008, 07:52 AM

3,702 posts, read 18,148,775 times
Also check out areas like New Caney. It is staight up 59 from the airport and has rural areas around it and there is a road that cuts across to Conroe area.

Old 04-01-2008, 08:41 AM

8,376 posts, read 30,566,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitegoldens View Post
Thoses of you that live in the area- do you think I am crazy? Will it be too hard on the dogs? We plan to get a/c in the kennel area- remember we currently live in the cold so we have heaters on 6 months of the year, the water freezes and the dogs get snow balls on their fur when they run around.
Thoughts?
It shouldn't be too hard on the dogs if you have the a/c working properly. I personally won't have long haired dogs as pets around here, and if for some reason I do I will break out the #2 clippers and go nuts from March to November. Screw the "breed standard." SE Texas climate isn't the best for a long haired dog. Yet and still there seems to be no shortage of people here with full coated Siberian Huskies...

Old 04-01-2008, 08:51 AM

9,273 posts, read 26,371,842 times
Put in a pool for them. It makes a huge difference to the long coat breeds. For sure A/C the kennels if you don't keep them in your home.

Old 11-30-2008, 10:03 AM

22 posts, read 73,158 times
Look in the Magnolia area Stay away from the concrete and steal their is no beauty there compared to the mts of Colorado
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: