Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2018, 09:59 AM

37 posts, read 53,072 times

Advertisements

Hey guys,

I am in a dilemma. I recently got two job offers, one from Salt Lake City and one in Houston, TX. I am 23 years old and I currently live in Tampa, FL. I have been wanting to move for a while now, and I am not quite sure how to assess where I would be happier. The jobs are both in the same industry and the pay is nearly identical too. I like the outdoors, forests, state parks, and mountains. I have never done skiing or anything like that just because I have never lived in an area with any snow. I know SLC is a pretty good place for outdoor activities.

I am not a huge party person or anything like that, but would like to have a decent social scene around me. I do like to go out on the weekends. One thing that makes me hesitant about SLC is the fact that I am non-LDS. I am actually a minority (Pakistani) and from what I have heard SLC is not too much of a cultural place or that diverse. I think I would love the outdoors aspect of SLC but I am reluctant because of not being LDS or things I have heard about it not being a really lively city. Before Tampa, I lived in a really small town though and it can't be anything like that, haha. Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2018, 10:06 AM

6,291 posts, read 7,498,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxtigers View Post
Hey guys,

I am in a dilemma. I recently got two job offers, one from Salt Lake City and one in Houston, TX. I am 23 years old and I currently live in Tampa, FL. I have been wanting to move for a while now, and I am not quite sure how to assess where I would be happier. The jobs are both in the same industry and the pay is nearly identical too. I like the outdoors, forests, state parks, and mountains. I have never done skiing or anything like that just because I have never lived in an area with any snow. I know SLC is a pretty good place for outdoor activities.

I am not a huge party person or anything like that, but would like to have a decent social scene around me. I do like to go out on the weekends. One thing that makes me hesitant about SLC is the fact that I am non-LDS. I am actually a minority (Pakistani) and from what I have heard SLC is not too much of a cultural place or that diverse. I think I would love the outdoors aspect of SLC but I am reluctant because of not being LDS or things I have heard about it not being a really lively city. Before Tampa, I lived in a really small town though and it can't be anything like that, haha. Thoughts?

WOW your first paragraph screams SLC, the second paragraph indicates Houston would be a better fit. Go back and read your OP and decide which paragraph is more important to you...Good luck..

Old 08-06-2018, 10:14 AM

5,847 posts, read 6,185,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Lance View Post
WOW your first paragraph screams SLC, the second paragraph indicates Houston would be a better fit. Go back and read your OP and decide which paragraph is more important to you...Good luck..
I was thinking exactly the same thing. What's more of a priority to you, OP? If it's activities and aesthetics, then definitely SLC. If diversity and cultural fit, then Houston.

You're young and I don't know what field you're in, but career considerations may be at play here as well. I have heard from a few people that if you are a professional in any field that is reliant on referrals, relationship building, or if you are self employed, then the LDS aspect is a significant consideration in Utah. I could be wrong about that, though.

Old 08-06-2018, 10:35 AM

1,614 posts, read 2,662,905 times
I agree with the previous posters. What is the industry? If you chose Houston, could you do vacations to the mountains? Do you want a cold climate or a warmer one?

Old 08-06-2018, 10:57 AM

123 posts, read 100,447 times
SLC is about 70-75% white and is much, much less racially diverse than Houston. From a Mormon perspective, SLC itself has become less Mormon over time and is much more secular than years ago. Currently a slight majority of Salt Lake County is not Mormon, but the rest of the state (rural and smaller cities) is heavily Mormon. However, SLC is also home to the University of Utah, so, as with any large state university, there are bound to be lots of professors/graduate students from other parts of the world.

Old 08-06-2018, 11:09 AM

2,548 posts, read 4,052,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxtigers View Post
Hey guys,

If you enjoy the outdoors, SLC is a much better choice than Houston. I like living in Houston, and yes we have pretty good weather year round, but you have to drive freaking forever to get to nature, because the city is so big. There is no hiking, because we have no hills. Plus from SLC you can get to so many amazing national parks in a day.

Old 08-06-2018, 11:28 AM

18,130 posts, read 25,282,316 times
Must be nice to having skiing resorts close by,
but my understanding is that there's nothing else close to SLC

Old 08-06-2018, 01:44 PM

139 posts, read 169,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
Must be nice to having skiing resorts close by,
but my understanding is that there's nothing else close to SLC

Denver? Vegas, too. Can go from the Strip to the slopes (Mt Charleston) in under an hour, or just go to Brian Head or Mammoth like everyone else. Both cities are outdoor paradises.

Old 08-06-2018, 02:06 PM

2,441 posts, read 2,524,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houston-nomad View Post
There is no hiking, because we have no hills. Plus from SLC you can get to so many amazing national parks in a day.
Not true: there are lots of hikes every weekend in and around Houston and even during the week. There are several outdoor groups in Houston.
True: yes it's flat. But you still can hike

Old 08-06-2018, 02:09 PM

37 posts, read 53,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swopoe View Post
I agree with the previous posters. What is the industry? If you chose Houston, could you do vacations to the mountains? Do you want a cold climate or a warmer one?
It's engineering. I could take vacations. I've honestly never lived in a cold climate so I don't know what it's like to have snow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston