Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2018, 10:29 AM

4,754 posts, read 2,972,063 times

Advertisements

Why does Houston not have any prominent music festivals? The In Bloom Fest 2018 had a bunch of washed up artists. At least FPSF had more recent acts but now that's been disbanded. Houston is way too big to not have at least one giant festival with first run acts. Austin of course has them (ACL, etc.), San Antonio (Mala Luna) and Dallas (Posty Fest). Similar to theme parks, are Houstonians going to need to leave the city in order to attend a quality music festival?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2018, 10:42 AM

2,441 posts, read 2,520,666 times
I guess Houston population is mostly focused on making $$$ and raising kids. I wish we had better music scene here.

Old 08-07-2018, 10:57 AM

1,658 posts, read 1,240,529 times
Houston is the least creative big city in the US.

Old 08-07-2018, 11:57 AM

455 posts, read 524,657 times
We have Day for Night, which is going into its fourth year here. If i wanted to see a lineup like what they put on elsewhere, i'd have to travel internationally.

There are also traveling festivals which come through here.

Old 08-07-2018, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonic0boom View Post
We have Day for Night, which is going into its fourth year here. If i wanted to see a lineup like what they put on elsewhere, i'd have to travel internationally.

There are also traveling festivals which come through here.
Traveling festivals don't count but I never heard of Day for Night. The lineup for it looks better than In Bloom. Even though it's out of festival season, hopefully it can continue to grow and Houston has good weather during that time.

Old 08-07-2018, 12:39 PM

455 posts, read 524,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DabOnEm View Post
Traveling festivals don't count but I never heard of Day for Night. The lineup for it looks better than In Bloom. Even though it's out of festival season, hopefully it can continue to grow and Houston has good weather during that time.
Well, i would argue that festival season around here certainly isn't the summer That said, December can be a bit inclement. With NIN getting rained out partway through and it dropping from the 50s down to the 20s a couple years ago mid-set.... But at least it is a mix of indoor and outdoor stages.

Day for Night is somewhat more geared towards a national/international crowd. The year Aphex Twin played, i met tons of people who traveled from overseas and all parts of the US.

Old 08-07-2018, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonic0boom View Post
Well, i would argue that festival season around here certainly isn't the summer That said, December can be a bit inclement. With NIN getting rained out partway through and it dropping from the 50s down to the 20s a couple years ago mid-set.... But at least it is a mix of indoor and outdoor stages.

Day for Night is somewhat more geared towards a national/international crowd. The year Aphex Twin played, i met tons of people who traveled from overseas and all parts of the US.

Yeah I think ideally March would make for the best time since it doesn't get too hot and there aren't large festivals except for SXSW (mid-March) and Ultra (end of March). SXSW is such a big draw that some labels may not want their people performing so close to it when they want to sell out small venues in Downtown Austin. But damn March would be perfect. Even better would be a 2 or 3-day music festival on Galveston Island during that time with bigger artists than what's at Third Coast fest.

Old 08-07-2018, 07:08 PM

14,888 posts, read 10,029,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DabOnEm View Post
Why does Houston not have any prominent music festivals? The In Bloom Fest 2018 had a bunch of washed up artists. At least FPSF had more recent acts but now that's been disbanded. Houston is way too big to not have at least one giant festival with first run acts. Austin of course has them (ACL, etc.), San Antonio (Mala Luna) and Dallas (Posty Fest). Similar to theme parks, are Houstonians going to need to leave the city in order to attend a quality music festival?
Houston hosts the Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo, the largest rodeo and music event on the planet where they fill a football stadium with 70K+ people for ~25 nights straight for concerts... that's hard to compete with.

We also have tons of smallish local area festivals all over town because we're so spread out. There's always some concert series at the Sam Houston Race park. Ziegenbock fest is in September every year at the Race Park and it draws 20K+ easy.

Galveston puts on one of the biggest Mardi Gras celebrations in the country with live music for a week straight all over town.

Old 08-07-2018, 11:10 PM

55 posts, read 66,062 times
Houston's idea of a Music festival is Rodeo. Pathetic...

Old 08-08-2018, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliefland View Post
Houston is more conservative compared to other larger cities. Most people in Houston are focused on work and family, they can care less for music festivals. You won’t see the same lifestyle here as it is in Austin for example.
That's not it either and Houston is actually not far off from other large cities. San Antonio is more conservative than Houston with the military there and has a more mainstream fest. But I didn't know about Day for Night which can compare to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
Houston hosts the Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo, the largest rodeo and music event on the planet where they fill a football stadium with 70K+ people for ~25 nights straight for concerts... that's hard to compete with.

We also have tons of smallish local area festivals all over town because we're so spread out. There's always some concert series at the Sam Houston Race park. Ziegenbock fest is in September every year at the Race Park and it draws 20K+ easy.

Galveston puts on one of the biggest Mardi Gras celebrations in the country with live music for a week straight all over town.
The Rodeo isn't near a music festival and the acts have gotten worse in the past few years with the rise in music festivals. Also only a few of those acts draw more than 40k. A lot of cities have smaller festivals too. I'm talking about big ones like what I named in the first post with big acts across different genres perform over one weekend. That's what's been hot the past few years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston