U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2008, 10:14 PM

270 posts, read 498,193 times

Advertisements

What can any of you tell me about the subdivision including Indian Mill Drive, Grass Creek Drive, and New Field Drive, off of Vineyard Drive in the 77082 zip code? Is it a nice area? Working class? Families? Please inform! Thanks.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2008, 10:33 PM

What about Wilcrest Drive or Westleigh Drive (77077)?

Old 04-03-2008, 04:38 AM

3,160 posts, read 4,086,860 times
I'll tread lightly here :-)

MY GF lives where you're asking about (77082) it is VERY hit or miss by street there, there are some great people in the area but also a lot of the older owners have left and leased or sold their houses to a less desireable sort of people.
I dont know of any problems in the neighborhoods except for loud music and thugs speeding down the streets, littering has picked up some.
I dont know of any vandalism or break ins...

now, I live in 77077, off of kirkwood/memorial.
willcreast area is very hit or miss. there was an influx of new residents to our area about two years ago, I wont get too specific, but they tend to sit on their front porch drinking beer waiting for their checks....

once you cross Briar Forest heading south, you're on your own...

Old 04-03-2008, 10:55 AM

Thanks for the reply, Bily. I'm starting to realize/think that there are really no good/decent areas within the Houston city limits for folks on a budget and need a single-family home. We may be better of staying in the Midwest, which I can't believe I'm saying.

Old 04-03-2008, 12:37 PM

443 posts, read 1,505,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bettyboopster View Post
Thanks for the reply, Bily. I'm starting to realize/think that there are really no good/decent areas within the Houston city limits for folks on a budget and need a single-family home. We may be better of staying in the Midwest, which I can't believe I'm saying.
whats your budget?

Old 04-03-2008, 01:14 PM

8,357 posts, read 28,739,340 times
Quote:

Clear Lake? Far SE-side city limits.

Around $190-220k will set you up with a nice, 12-20 yr old 2000-2400 sq ft home. $170k for 1700 sq ft on the smaller end... or something ~2200 sq ft but 30-40 yrs old, in good condition. This is more expensive than most suburbs, but chaeper than most good areas in the city limit.

From here, access to work downtown is fairly easy, to the Galleria is tolerable (to me anyway), but any place further West/SW/esp NW may be a huge pain.

This area is just as far outside the beltway & away from downtown as Alief. Very little riff-raff to deal with, too.

Old 04-03-2008, 03:19 PM

657 posts, read 2,397,033 times
There's some nice homes along 77082, certainly along Richmond. The problem is if the shool zone is Alief. I live a little north in 77077 with a home on the 150k range and I feel relatively safe. Don't let people scare you off and think that all of Houston is unsafe. Westleigh is in my neighborhood. You can find some good, affordable homes there. I'd put 77077 over 77082 because of the school zones. Westside High School in 77077 didn't rank too badly in the school rankings from the Houston Chronicle.

Old 04-03-2008, 07:04 PM

Quote:
actually,
I disagree with that.

Im not going to tell you its perfect, but I almost moved into the area you're looking at in alief and the only reason i didnt, it was TOO close to my GF's house... (top secret, BTW)

I have a friend that lives west of vineyard in a patio home and he loves it and has no intention of leaving. he has no kids in school, but is very happy with everything...

houston has a lot of nice safe affordable areas to raise a family.

please keep looking, you'll get some more good advice..

Old 04-03-2008, 10:48 PM

Thanks, everybody. Your posts have been very helpful and informative. We won't stop looking. In fact, we're quite certain we'll find a nice place. My previous post was just from frustration--it's hard when you're not there and don't know anything about the areas. My husband drove around down there today (he's there for work) and said the area I mentioned looked "very nice," so, I'll have to wait and see for myself. You can tell alot just by driving around an area for a few minutes. School districts would be an issue since we have a little one.

And our budget would be around $150,000 to the person who asked. I realize that will buy alot more the further ya get from the city.

Old 04-04-2008, 04:17 AM

also head south on vineyard and cross westpark. there is a good size new subdivision there, with areas gated. but I know nothing about that area...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston