Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2018, 08:14 PM

3,066 posts, read 8,404,185 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florjad View Post
Hi All,

I need your advise in the below issue.We are building a home in katy with [Mod cut] builders.
The kitchen has a granite countertop and an island. The countertop was installed correctly the first time itself and the island was installed incorrectly. We pointed it to the construction manager.The builder said it was the granite company’s mistake and it was again installed incorrectly 3 times. Finally for the 4 time the island was installed correctly. Now the problem is the countertop and the island are having obvious color variations.

I understand granite is a natural stone and will have variations but the difference here is not because it is a natural stone but because it was not installed simultaneously. The countertop was installed in August and the island was installed this October. The builder says he is not going to change the countertop and we have to go with it.They have set the close date as Oct 10 and i believe they don’t want to push the closing date.

I don’t like to have two different granites in my kitchen. I understand no house is perfect but this is not acceptable.If they are not going to change it I don’t want to close the home. Should i take this legally or should i contact the top management. I atleast want my 11k deposit back. We have also spent around 1200 for inspection.

Thanks

If this is something you do not want to live with I would recommend you take your contract to a competent Attorney and allow the Attorney to explain what if any legal options you might have.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2018, 07:27 AM

5,819 posts, read 7,227,327 times
I was in the granite business for many years, and understand this concern. Generally, granite from the same lot is used in the same house, to keep them similar. But each lot varies in appearance, and there will be differences moving forward, from house to house. Neither the builder nor the supplier is responsible for differences between lots, as long as it's the "same" granite (eg, Ubatuba). However, you have a unique case where they installed granite from two different lots in the same room.

If you had added something after the fact, this would be your problem. But since this was fixing their own problem, as acknowledged by the fact they replaced it multiple times, this is their problem. "Their" being the granite installer, which ultimately means the builder.

I believe you have a valid case here. I would escalate as high as you can, and if you don't get satisfaction, hire a lawyer and pull out. You will never be happy, so best to do this now, before time goes on. And if they don't help you, and you have to hire a lawyer, I would go on every social media I could and scream about this.

Builders should be better than this. Especially since they are going to make the granite company eat this expense. And if the granite company actually screwed up badly enough to require that many trips to fix it, then they *should* eat the expense. That's what we did, because it's called doing the right thing.

Sadly, something not always seen in this industry.

Old 10-05-2018, 08:13 AM

27 posts, read 25,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
I was in the granite business for many years, and understand this concern. Generally, granite from the same lot is used in the same house, to keep them similar. But each lot varies in appearance, and there will be differences moving forward, from house to house. Neither the builder nor the supplier is responsible for differences between lots, as long as it's the "same" granite (eg, Ubatuba). However, you have a unique case where they installed granite from two different lots in the same room.

If you had added something after the fact, this would be your problem. But since this was fixing their own problem, as acknowledged by the fact they replaced it multiple times, this is their problem. "Their" being the granite installer, which ultimately means the builder.

I believe you have a valid case here. I would escalate as high as you can, and if you don't get satisfaction, hire a lawyer and pull out. You will never be happy, so best to do this now, before time goes on. And if they don't help you, and you have to hire a lawyer, I would go on every social media I could and scream about this.

Builders should be better than this. Especially since they are going to make the granite company eat this expense. And if the granite company actually screwed up badly enough to require that many trips to fix it, then they *should* eat the expense. That's what we did, because it's called doing the right thing.

Sadly, something not always seen in this industry.
Thank you. Really appreciate your input.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: