Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2018, 06:39 PM

214 posts, read 303,907 times

Advertisements

Saw this in the Chronicle: https://www.chron.com/business/real-...e-13311888.php

Already hearing neighbors grumble 'there goes the neighborhood' LOL. Yes, 160K is a low starting point, but we need affordable housing. Houston is getting more and more expensive and we're losing our reputation for affordability. Jobs and affordable housing is what we're known for..

Anyway,
While I love the semi-rural feel to Fulshear now, massive change is coming. Now that Katy is filled out South of I10, and given the expansion of Westpark as well as future connectors 1093-to-I10 (TX Prairie Parkway), the small-town USA feel of Fulshear will give way to a more 'Katy ' feel...

With the influx of people, there'll be the higher end neighborhoods like current ones in Fulshear (Cross Creek, Fulbrook, Fulshear Run) and then entry-level ones. And so be it...

To my neighbors out in Simonton--once Fulshear is done, you're next!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2018, 07:26 PM

3 posts, read 6,352 times
What neighborhood do you live in?

Old 10-18-2018, 12:06 AM

2,183 posts, read 3,188,581 times
Entry level in Fulshear.

Who can even get way out there first that would want entry level. It maybe would be a step up for someone from brookshire maybe but that’s even a stretch.

You don’t have a Conroe or Huntsville (towns with major employment centers) 20 miles away that can attract suburban buyers.

Old 10-18-2018, 02:57 AM

1,187 posts, read 1,408,655 times
This is a minor point, but doesn't the name "Polo Ranch" strike people as an odd marketing name? It strikes me as being lame for 2 reasons: (1) someone buying a tract home there is not going to be living on a "ranch" and (2) they won't surrounded by fancy, upper-crust people who play polo when they're not checking their investment portfolios. Maybe "Cattle Pasture" would be a more honest name, at least as far as reflecting recent use of the land.

But ... hey, if that marketing approach works for the developer and investors, more power to them. As it has been said, "there's a sucker born every minute". In another market, perhaps they would call it something like "Ancient Glade" or "Hidden Wilderness".

Old 10-19-2018, 07:17 AM

833 posts, read 1,874,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoo2000 View Post
Saw this in the Chronicle: https://www.chron.com/business/real-...e-13311888.php

Already hearing neighbors grumble 'there goes the neighborhood' LOL. Yes, 160K is a low starting point, but we need affordable housing. Houston is getting more and more expensive and we're losing our reputation for affordability. Jobs and affordable housing is what we're known for..

Anyway,
While I love the semi-rural feel to Fulshear now, massive change is coming. Now that Katy is filled out South of I10, and given the expansion of Westpark as well as future connectors 1093-to-I10 (TX Prairie Parkway), the small-town USA feel of Fulshear will give way to a more 'Katy ' feel...

With the influx of people, there'll be the higher end neighborhoods like current ones in Fulshear (Cross Creek, Fulbrook, Fulshear Run) and then entry-level ones. And so be it...

To my neighbors out in Simonton--once Fulshear is done, you're next!
Fulshear is positioned to grow dramatically over the next 5 plus years with a continued major population boom. While it is nice that Fulshear development so far has been overall very upper middle class, businesses like the service industry are struggling finding help because there is a major lack of affordable housing in or close enough to Fulshear. Polo Ranch can help fill that gap however I am skeptical and think demand in the area will quickly drive up prices for this neighborhood.

Fulshear has some great opportunities for growth and development and is catching up with the boom of growth with laying foundations to create a great city with various strategic plans including things like the Fulshear Livable Center Study. Fulshear Livable Center – City of Fulshear Livable Center Study

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbcu View Post
Entry level in Fulshear.

Who can even get way out there first that would want entry level. It maybe would be a step up for someone from brookshire maybe but that’s even a stretch.

You don’t have a Conroe or Huntsville (towns with major employment centers) 20 miles away that can attract suburban buyers.
Fulshear schools (Lamar) with the new middle school and high school are top notch and will be compete on the high academic level with schools like South Katy schools. There are plenty of businesses in West Houston including the energy corridor within easy driving and more opening up every day. Katy itself now that is has the population it is attracting major companies to the area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by madrone2k View Post
This is a minor point, but doesn't the name "Polo Ranch" strike people as an odd marketing name? It strikes me as being lame for 2 reasons: (1) someone buying a tract home there is not going to be living on a "ranch" and (2) they won't surrounded by fancy, upper-crust people who play polo when they're not checking their investment portfolios. Maybe "Cattle Pasture" would be a more honest name, at least as far as reflecting recent use of the land.

But ... hey, if that marketing approach works for the developer and investors, more power to them. As it has been said, "there's a sucker born every minute". In another market, perhaps they would call it something like "Ancient Glade" or "Hidden Wilderness".
Polo has been a sport of the area and my guess is where they got the name.

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/bus...#photo-5411616

Old 10-19-2018, 04:08 PM

2,183 posts, read 3,188,581 times
That’s not going to help the service sector ($160k homes)

The service sector is fueled by $100k or less Homes, affordable multi family units and public transportation

Old 10-19-2018, 11:36 PM

1,717 posts, read 1,674,810 times
Eventually the sprawl will stretch out to Wallis. This area is growing and it seems no end in sight.

Old 10-20-2018, 11:12 AM

1,187 posts, read 1,408,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtothemak;53406193

Polo has been a sport of the area and my guess is where they got the name.

[url
https://www.houstonchronicle.com/business/real-estate/article/Fulshear-s-sport-of-choice-polo-4951968.php#photo-5411616[/url]
I hear you. Like many subdivision names, it seemed contrived to me. My parents lived out in Weston Lakes starting in about 1990, and during that era it didn't seem like there was a polo crowd. WL did/does have a golf course.

Its a nice area and the accessibility to "town" has been improving, which probably is good for property values. During my parents' era, the relative isolation was a big problem. A lot has changed since then.

The first time I was on the property that became Weston Lakes was in the 1960s, the dad of my childhood friend was associated with the owner of the land. It was obvious then that it was prime property, it just needed time to make it viable as a bedroom community.

Like Brookshire, it seemed as if Fulshear had a large African-American community that lived modestly. I wonder if they were able to profit from the area turning to an upper-middle-class bedroom community.

Old 10-22-2018, 09:21 AM

675 posts, read 1,446,722 times
They will probably have one floor plan starting at $169,990 and the rest will be high 100's-low 200's as the entry starter plans.

The market will quickly dictate the price point.

Old 10-22-2018, 09:37 AM

1,636 posts, read 1,218,249 times
Sounds like Fulshear is fixin’ to diversify a.k.a. become more culturally enriched.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston