Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-25-2018, 01:27 PM

2,132 posts, read 2,203,178 times

Advertisements

So nobody in Houston was bothered by Trump's comments about the "guys with the little boats" during Hurricane Harvey? I thought it was horribly offensive. It's a lot like when he insulted Ted Cruz's wife. I guess his supporters just roll over and take it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2018, 01:54 PM

2,978 posts, read 1,925,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbarsap View Post
You forgot the Tea Baggers and their concern for the defecits during Obama years. Where are they now that we are on track for trillion dollar deficits.

And the dumb old morons on REAL govt. healthcare (medicare) protesting Obamacare (bought via private insurance) with signs stating "Keep your Govt hands off my medicare".

It says a lot about a “man” that can stand on the same platform with the low life person that berated and disrespected his wife publicly and humiliated same for a few votes and shake the low life’s hand like nothing happened. IMHO that is not a “man” at all, but a sorry excuse for one that would sell out his own family for political and or financial gain. Cruz’s wife must be soooo impressed with her lap dog husband, but apparently is accustom to being used as a pawn in her weak kneed hubby’s political ambitions. I must ask: how many women would put up with such behavior? Is the almighty dollar and power that frigging important that a person must shelf their own dignity while their significant other lets a corrupt ******* like dt walk all over that dignity?
The fact that the tea party is literally NOWHERE to be found gives all the evidence anyone should need about what their real problem was during the Obama years. I'll never forget during the Obamacare vote in 2010 all of those tea party people flinging racial slurs and insults at lawmakers trying to get to the Capitol for a vote. Now, 7-8 years later many of those same people are pissed off about leftist protestors. The pendulum swings back and forth.

Now our deficits are even bigger and not a peep from these "patriots". They're not fooling anyone. They know exactly why they are sitting on their hands silent now.

Old 10-25-2018, 02:29 PM

1,728 posts, read 3,424,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Clutch View Post
The fact that the tea party is literally NOWHERE to be found gives all the evidence anyone should need about what their real problem was during the Obama years. I'll never forget during the Obamacare vote in 2010 all of those tea party people flinging racial slurs and insults at lawmakers trying to get to the Capitol for a vote. Now, 7-8 years later many of those same people are pissed off about leftist protestors. The pendulum swings back and forth.

Now our deficits are even bigger and not a peep from these "patriots". They're not fooling anyone. They know exactly why they are sitting on their hands silent now.
There is hypocrisy on the left and the right, none are spared frown that. Where were all the anti-war liberals when Obama ratcheted up the drone killings? ........crickets.

Let’s cut the government spending. All of it including the military.

I don’t like Cruz now or ever, BUT Beto is also a snake oil salesman with a worse proposal for my particular situation and beliefs.

Old 10-25-2018, 04:47 PM

2,978 posts, read 1,925,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lipbalm View Post
There is hypocrisy on the left and the right, none are spared frown that. Where were all the anti-war liberals when Obama ratcheted up the drone killings? ........crickets.

Let’s cut the government spending. All of it including the military.

I don’t like Cruz now or ever, BUT Beto is also a snake oil salesman with a worse proposal for my particular situation and beliefs.
Fair and fair. I'm with you except for the last paragraph. It's going to have to be cut eventually, one way or the other.

However, I will say I take a much dimmer view on hypocrisy based on pure racism compared to hypocrisy based on straight political disagreements. If their disagreements were legit, there would be more tea party protests now than in 2010 as both the debt and deficit are higher now. I can definitely respect the view that spending should be cut. I can't respect the view that it should only be cut when your guy isn't in power.

Do I think the tea party wants spending cut? Of course. Do I think they'll incessantly attack the current administration and Congress like they attacked the previous ones, for the exact same overspending tendencies? Absolutely not. We all know why, and it's not purely political.

Old 10-25-2018, 05:38 PM

8 posts, read 8,587 times
I just can't- in all good conscience- vote GOP when they want to roll back the ACA, and eliminate the pre-existing condition mandate of ACA. I have several, debilitating chronic illness and already struggle to work and get insurance as it is, I would be devastated if we went back to the days when insurance companies could deny coverage because you have a pre-existing condition. I do not understand the thinking behind why that is okay- it's flat-out discrimination. I cannot find a good answer from the GOP side to address these, and other issues that I have, and so I can't vote for them.

I'm friends with a lot of people who are very conservative and have no issue with them personally, but I can't support a party that wants to cut benefits that I will very likely have to utilize at some point in the future.

I don't think most conservatives who vote people in who implement policies that would directly harm people like me are intentionally being cruel or hurtful. I think a lot of folks haven't met enough people who are outside of their life situation to fully grasp the consequences that some of these things would have. I think a lot of people believe their way is the right way, and a lot of conservative folks I've met put a lot of trust in the idea that these things will help, and that by electing these folks in, they'll lower their taxes, protect busineses, keep gov't out of business, etc.

Yet, by rolling back regulations, it's created a new sort of monsterous overlord- shifty corporations. Honestly, the horseshoe theory I think applies really here. If you vote far left (I mean FAR left- like communist), you'd get a monsterous, overbearing government, but if you swing in the complete opposite direction, you may not have a big government anymore (at least on the surface), but the power is still concentrated in just a few hands.

Old 10-25-2018, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fulsheario View Post
I just can't- in all good conscience- vote GOP when they want to roll back the ACA, and eliminate the pre-existing condition mandate of ACA. I have several, debilitating chronic illness and already struggle to work and get insurance as it is, I would be devastated if we went back to the days when insurance companies could deny coverage because you have a pre-existing condition. I do not understand the thinking behind why that is okay- it's flat-out discrimination. I cannot find a good answer from the GOP side to address these, and other issues that I have, and so I can't vote for them.
I just posted in another Houston thread about how actively cruel the Republicans have been about eliminating health insurance options - coverage for pre-existing conditions, Medicaid - for their constituents. They could at least pretend to be regretful and talk about overwhelming budget constraints, but it's clear that the primary goal is to destroy Obama's legacy and own the liberals.

Old 10-25-2018, 06:06 PM

8 posts, read 8,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kthnry View Post
I just posted in another Houston thread about how actively cruel the Republicans have been about eliminating health insurance options - coverage for pre-existing conditions, Medicaid - for their constituents. They could at least pretend to be regretful and talk about overwhelming budget constraints, but it's clear that the primary goal is to destroy Obama's legacy and own the liberals.

I've met a lot of people who really do feel this way. It's a shame, because, for example, if Trump made good on his promises to increase infrastructure spending, for example, I'd be all for it. Or him pulling out of the TPP, which I feel was probably the smartest thing he's done and I can definitely give him credit for it. He may have done it for a different reason than I would've, but he did do it. I think there are plenty of rational people, but we're drowned out by loud, extreme voices being pushed to advance a narrative that our differences are not able to be reconciled, and that we must be at each others' throats.

Old 10-25-2018, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fulsheario View Post
I've met a lot of people who really do feel this way. It's a shame, because, for example, if Trump made good on his promises to increase infrastructure spending, for example, I'd be all for it.
Right??? I will never understand why he didn't start out with a couple of big public works projects that everyone could get behind. Think of all the great photo ops with construction workers and heavy equipment!

Old 10-25-2018, 08:42 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,767,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kthnry View Post
Note that Trump bragged in his last email newsletter (I am subscribed) that medicaid recipients are down. Well, why is that? It's because many states refused to expand medicaid. Those people now have NO health insurance, so they will frequent the emergency rooms and cost the taxpayers a lot more money.

Old 10-25-2018, 09:32 PM

2,943 posts, read 4,963,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Clutch View Post

I remember coming home one day and turning on CNN and hearing Palin talk about the tea party and I was like WTF is that? All I know is the no taxation without representation tea party and then it was nonsense. I knew their game back then and you're 100%.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston