Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2018, 02:12 PM

204 posts, read 201,870 times

Advertisements

I live in the area, and I think I've noticed it only once in the last week. I kinda like the sound of the trains too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2018, 12:02 AM

21,473 posts, read 10,572,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snackdog View Post
The train honking seems to be getting worse near the Washington ave corridor. I know there was a big fuss about a year ago. What is the status? Seems like they honk like hell these days, especially around 3 am. Anyhow else notice this?

I used to live over that way and actually grew to like the sound. They weren’t honking much at that time of night then, but the clacking was really relaxing. I think they have to when there’s high traffic or the railroad crossing barriers or signs marking the crossings aren’t good.

Old 10-27-2018, 12:05 AM

21,473 posts, read 10,572,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
The City of Houston has developed a Quiet Zone Program to address train horn noise near neighborhoods. Quiet Zones are segments of railroad lines where train crews are exempt from sounding the horn at grade crossings. However, the train engineer may use the train horn if there is any activity on or near the track that he or she deems to be unsafe. The program will enhance at-grade crossing safety while improving the quality of life for those neighborhoods adjacent to the railroad corridor being considered.

Unless a grade crossing is designated as a Quiet Zone, federal law requires that trains must sound the horn 15-20 seconds prior to arrival at a grade crossing. This means the train horn must be sounded continuously from about a ¼ mile in advance of a grade crossing until the train reaches the crossing.

There is currently a list of 10 areas that are petitioning for a Quiet Zone and the process is lengthy. Also, the costs of creating new intersections along cross streets that comply with federal regulations can run up to hundreds of thousands of dollars. Unfortunately, in the current fiscal environment, funding is tight. City Council Member Jack Christie continues to follow this issue closely, and as soon as there are available funds for Quiet Zone programs, he will do his best to make certain that these areas are expanded.

Follow this link https://documents.publicworks.houstontx.gov/documents/
divisions/traffic/qzapppolicy_707_2_.pdf to learn more about Quiet Zone requirements and to view the application for a Quiet Zone study in your area.
Great post! Very informative.

Old 10-29-2018, 01:57 PM

71 posts, read 77,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
Montrose? I highly doubt it.
I saw what you did there.

Old 10-31-2018, 03:19 PM

1,045 posts, read 2,154,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3shipguy View Post
Montrose/midtown/Heights neighborhoods are not rich enough to have that privilege?
furthermore, Montrose is not near a train track

Old 10-31-2018, 05:31 PM

344 posts, read 346,611 times
I can assure the train horns are deafening in The Montrose. The hapless Heights-ites must be up in arms.

Old 10-31-2018, 08:15 PM

1,045 posts, read 2,154,124 times
You must have dog ears The nearest track is about a mile away, and that is if you live close to Allen Parkway.

Old 10-31-2018, 08:58 PM

1,725 posts, read 1,025,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snackdog View Post
I can assure the train horns are deafening in The Montrose. The hapless Heights-ites must be up in arms.
Heights and Washington are quiet zones...not sure where you live that you are hearing train horns.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: