U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-04-2008, 01:41 PM

3 posts, read 8,191 times

Advertisements

Hello
I will be starting medical residency in june/jully at the TMC and now I am looking to buy a house around Houston, since the rent is pretty high. I am not crazy about the idea of living in a condo/townhouse in houston area because I'll be there for 4 years and want something more "relaxing" with a back yard. I understand Pearland and Missouri city are good choices?? Can anyone tell me their opinions about safety and distance to houston between this 2 areas? my budget is around 150,000 (poor residents... lol).
I will probably be alone most of the time, but could install a security system and have a big dog?

thanks!
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2008, 05:02 PM

4 posts, read 9,234 times
There are townhomes with small back yards that you tend and the front yards are managed by the community HOA, have you ever thought of that. I don't know who told you about Missouri City and Pearland but if I were young and on my own I would be looking in Sugar Land. This is a great place to live, it is growing by leaps and bounds, lots of restaurants, shopping and easy accesss to freeways and loops to get you anywhere in Houston you need to go. Moderator cut: real estate agent solicitations are not allowed here

Last edited by da jammer; 04-04-2008 at 05:59 PM..

Old 04-07-2008, 09:34 PM

179 posts, read 807,568 times
Pearland is the best for the commute to TMC. It's a great place and really close to downtown.

Old 04-07-2008, 10:11 PM

959 posts, read 2,519,037 times
While mom22bless may be right for those who want the suburbs and possibly have a odd work schedule like nurses working in TMC from 7 AM until & 7 PM or vice verses can get away with this. But as a resident, it would be wise to live very close to TMC and forget about housing maintenance. Owning a house is a lot of work, even if you hire others to take care of it for you AND your dog.

Old 04-08-2008, 01:29 PM

5,429 posts, read 13,695,085 times
I'm more on the Sugar Land / Missouri City border but take 5th St in Stafford to Hwy 90 (which becomes Main St) which then goes the entire way in. There's some construction but once that's finished it should be good again. There's traffic but IMO it's better than Hwy 59. And it certainly beats living elsewhere in in the metro having to use 1-10 or even worse, Hwy 290. So I don't use the Fort Bend toll road but have heard it's great. And I have to say being in Missouri City or the far east side of Sugar Land is a shorter/faster commute into the Medical Center than central or west Sugar Land. As far as Pearland, that is another good option and I know several people who live there... they tell me the commute distance is relatively short but traffic is becoming more problematic on Hwy 288 in recent years.

Old 04-08-2008, 01:42 PM

15,065 posts, read 27,705,918 times
I haven't been down there past Texas Parkway lately. How far down are the overpasses completed?

288 is poised to become a veritable mess between Beltway 8 and Highway 6, at this rate...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston