Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2006, 12:26 PM

10,345 posts, read 8,557,056 times

Advertisements

why is it that everything has to be so PC? The fact is that illegal immigration is a big problem in many areas of the country and not just Houston. I would bet that the majority of them are hispanic so yes it is a generalization, but it does hold water. I don't think anyone here holds anything against hispanics, but they do have a problem with people coming here illegally. It just happens that many illegals are hispanics.
At one time PC was the right thing to do, but too many people have made such an issue about it that nothing can be said or accomplished because someone is offended.
I am asian and a minority. I know that there are illegal asians and if someone states that it a fact, I am not going to waste anyones time over being PC and getting defensive.
The original poster asked a question and I believe it was answered pretty accurately. Some good and valid points were made. I don't think they were racist at all. But still it bothers me that within one or 2 replys racism was immediately brought up.
In this world it seems no one can say anything without accused of being not PC.

Old 12-18-2006, 01:34 PM

29 posts, read 115,250 times
Obviously this is a polarizing topic. I am not trying to be the PC police. I have stated that obviously these problems are terrible and upsetting. When I made my first comment it was because I had seen several very negative posts regarding not only illegals but Katrina refugees, people who partake in the F*nny Mae program, etc. etc. I am every bit as frustrated with crime, people who take advantage of the system and people who think they are owed something, as the next guy. I guess what is really upsetting to me is that I am in a situation where I am moving to this community I know nothing about and am already scared of culture shock. People telling horror stories about the huge amounts of corruption crime and violence is making me see Houston as some kind of cess pool. I was really excited to be coming to a world class city. A lot of people have been very positive and informative. the neighborhood where we are moving seemed lovely and safe. Now after reading these posts I feel like my son's throat might be slit in the middle of the night by some pitbull owning, c*ck fighting, drug dealing, system sucking freak show. I guess what I am asking is, is illegal immigration so terrible and terrifying that I will have to build a stone fence around my house and have armed guards at every entrance? Is it inevitable that I will be shot at or have my house taken over by squatters and derilects? I know I am being somewhat hyperbolic here but perhaps others have been too.

Old 12-18-2006, 02:06 PM

I think like a lot of areas there are pockets. If you don't need to be in a specific part of Houston, I don't think you'll have any problem whatsoever finding a nice safe area to live in. I have a house in Cypress and there area and schools seem to be pretty good. Mr football posted up some pix of longwood which is real close to my house and my friends in California have been drooling over that developementever since I showed them the pix.
Houston has lots of good areas and since you are asking on this forum, i am sure you can alleviate a lot of your anxiety as many can tell you good, bad and marginal areas.
I guess the best thing is to let everyone know if you are looking to buy or rent and what your expected budget is as well as how far you are willng to comute to work and where the job is. I am sure you will get the answers you need.

Old 12-18-2006, 04:44 PM

2,628 posts, read 8,829,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soon2btexan View Post
Obviously this is a polarizing topic. I am not trying to be the PC police. I have stated that obviously these problems are terrible and upsetting. When I made my first comment it was because I had seen several very negative posts regarding not only illegals but Katrina refugees, people who partake in the F*nny Mae program, etc. etc. I am every bit as frustrated with crime, people who take advantage of the system and people who think they are owed something, as the next guy. I guess what is really upsetting to me is that I am in a situation where I am moving to this community I know nothing about and am already scared of culture shock. People telling horror stories about the huge amounts of corruption crime and violence is making me see Houston as some kind of cess pool. I was really excited to be coming to a world class city. A lot of people have been very positive and informative. the neighborhood where we are moving seemed lovely and safe. Now after reading these posts I feel like my son's throat might be slit in the middle of the night by some pitbull owning, c*ck fighting, drug dealing, system sucking freak show. I guess what I am asking is, is illegal immigration so terrible and terrifying that I will have to build a stone fence around my house and have armed guards at every entrance? Is it inevitable that I will be shot at or have my house taken over by squatters and derilects? I know I am being somewhat hyperbolic here but perhaps others have been too.
You will be fine. There is a wide variety of housing stock, neighborhoods, attitudes and environments to choose from in Houston. With good housing prices here you will not only be able to find an area that you like, you will probably be able to find something you are thrilled with.

There is something for everybody here.

Old 12-19-2006, 04:27 PM

39 posts, read 204,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aslowdodge View Post
why is it that everything has to be so PC? The fact is that illegal immigration is a big problem in many areas of the country and not just Houston. I would bet that the majority of them are hispanic so yes it is a generalization, but it does hold water. I don't think anyone here holds anything against hispanics, but they do have a problem with people coming here illegally. It just happens that many illegals are hispanics.
At one time PC was the right thing to do, but too many people have made such an issue about it that nothing can be said or accomplished because someone is offended.
I am asian and a minority. I know that there are illegal asians and if someone states that it a fact, I am not going to waste anyones time over being PC and getting defensive.
The original poster asked a question and I believe it was answered pretty accurately. Some good and valid points were made. I don't think they were racist at all. But still it bothers me that within one or 2 replys racism was immediately brought up.
In this world it seems no one can say anything without accused of being not PC.

You took the words right out of my mouth. I was referring to ILLEGALS. Saying that I have a problem with people breaking the law is *not* racism. Why can't anyone say anything anymore without being accused of being a racist? I'm far from it. I have many hispanic friends-they're great people. But I have a big issue with illegals.

I also see that you're in Pleasanton. How funny, I'm in Manteca.

Old 12-19-2006, 05:38 PM

1,336 posts, read 6,444,076 times
Agreed, one of my best friends is Hispanic and he feels the same way. His family has been here since the 1920's and his grandfather served in the US Navy during WW2. It's not about race, it's about protecting our country, our families, our lifestyle, our livelihoods from people who come here illegally, and sponge off the system, cause trouble and refuse to assimilate. It's not 'cute' anymore.

BTW, today in Houston (Ft. Bend County) 3 Middle School kids were stabbed by a carload of Mexicans: http://www.khou.com/topstories/stories/khou061219_ac_kidsstabbed.25e94479.html (broken link)

Old 12-19-2006, 08:39 PM

201 posts, read 983,015 times
Why do you guys say "Hispanics " why generalize when you know the problem is with illegal Mexicans ?

I am not aware of a problem in Houston with illegal Argentines , Venezuelans , Colombians , Brazilians , etc , etc ?

The problem is 90% illegal Mexicans , why beat around the bush ?

I live in Weston , Florida which is an affluent community North of Miami and where "Hispanics " mainly affluent professional South Americans own many of the multi million dollar homes . I think the case in Hosuton is different with working class lower income and in many cases illegal Mexicans

Old 12-19-2006, 10:38 PM

1,336 posts, read 6,444,076 times
Actually, its not just Mexicans. The worst of the worst are the MS-13 Gang members from El Salvador. Then there are the Guatamalens, the Nicaraguans, Hondurans, etc.

Argentinians, Chileans, Uruguayens, etc don't usually swim or tunnel their way into the US. They usually fly in...and then go back. They've got nice countries.

Houston has many affluent hispanics, the richest Mexicans generally have homes here too and come here to shop in our upscale boutiques and dept. stores. I think Miami is one of the 'rivieras' for Latin American wealth (much of it obtained via nefarious ways), it is in a class by itself. Houston is a land of opportunity and many long time Mexican-Americans (not illegals) have done quite well for themselves - especially those who've assimilated.

The problem is, the flood of people has become so epidemic that they come here and live in their own communities without having to learn the language of the land and assimilate into our culture.

Last edited by Mr. Football; 12-19-2006 at 10:49 PM..

Old 12-20-2006, 01:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisluvThreePrinces View Post
You took the words right out of my mouth. I was referring to ILLEGALS. Saying that I have a problem with people breaking the law is *not* racism. Why can't anyone say anything anymore without being accused of being a racist? I'm far from it. I have many hispanic friends-they're great people. But I have a big issue with illegals.

I also see that you're in Pleasanton. How funny, I'm in Manteca.
well if you live in manteca you are somewhat used to the heat so texas won't be to drastic. Manteca is pretty flat and not very scenic so Houston is not going to be a letdown for you. More of a lateral move scenery wise.
I remember when houses there were a " bargain" compared to the bay area. If you can afford rent in manteca, you might well be able to afford a decent home in Houston. If you own in Manteca, then depending on your equity you are in a good position to get a house. For about $150K you can get about 2100 sq ft in a new home and a great school district that I think you will be happy with as well as the community. Like i said, check out Cypress, it might be perfect for you. I paid 161K for a 2400 sq ft home in a great and beautiful neighborhood.

Old 12-20-2006, 06:06 AM

2,639 posts, read 3,222,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisluvThreePrinces View Post
We may possibly be moving to the Houston area. Coming from the central valley of California, illegal immigration is one of our concerns.

Is it a big problem in the Houston area? Are there any metro areas less effected?

Thanks
Keep in mind that all of Texas is full of illegals. I live in small town central Texas and we have plenty of them.

I'm from southern CA but have lived in TX for 28 years. I remember when CA wasn't like it is today, a nice place, little crime, etc. If it isn't already, TX will be another CA as they're moving in fast. When the super highway is constructed from Mexico to Canada and right through Texas, I believe the problem will only worsen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston