Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2018, 02:26 PM

2,756 posts, read 3,807,332 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by buenos View Post
In my area white people never go to a BBQ wings place, but to only asian restaurants.
In the same area asians never go to a BBQ wings place, but to only asian restaurants.
The difference is one group promotes the other, while the other group promotes themselves. That is a 180 degree reversal from what you said was 50 years ago.
One of you when describing how many different cuisines are available in Houston provided a list, but the list was missing things like BBQ or "southern food". I see a pattern, when some items are missing from lists, it is not by mistake.
There was a good reason for being harsh on foreigners speaking foreign languages publicly, to promote assimilation and social cohesion for the common good of everyone. Not doing it is like giving money to a drug addict cousin. You want him high or healthy?

Actually you are the one promoting a change, that started in your lifetime, and is now almost complete.
This is all very confusing to me.

Old 11-16-2018, 02:27 PM

331 posts, read 487,255 times
Good lord, there’s not a lot of Asian restaurants somewhere because of liberals, it’s because there’s a market for it.

Old 11-16-2018, 02:31 PM

8,338 posts, read 5,492,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ftbend06 View Post
Good lord, there’s not a lot of Asian restaurants somewhere because of liberals, it’s because there’s a market for it.
Is that the truth. Otherwise Portland would have the best Asian food in the country and it definitely doesnt.

Old 11-16-2018, 02:44 PM

5,462 posts, read 3,034,725 times
Quote:
In my area white people never go to a BBQ wings place, but to only asian restaurants.
In the same area asians never go to a BBQ wings place, but to only asian restaurants.
The difference is one group promotes the other, while the other group promotes themselves. That is a 180 degree reversal from what you said was 50 years ago.
I guess McD and not Timmy chans is the most prominent restaurant chain in the world.

Old 11-16-2018, 02:58 PM

2,132 posts, read 2,225,572 times
Quote:
Actually you are the one promoting a change, that started in your lifetime, and is now almost complete.
Nooo ... San Antonio was founded in 1691. It was part of Mexico until Texas became a state in 1845. Families around here go back many generations. White people and the American influence are the new arrivals.

Old 11-16-2018, 03:11 PM

2,132 posts, read 2,225,572 times
Quote:
There was a good reason for being harsh on foreigners speaking foreign languages publicly, to promote assimilation and social cohesion for the common good of everyone. Not doing it is like giving money to a drug addict cousin. You want him high or healthy?
So this should be government policy as a way of forcing immigrants to open more BBQ wing restaurants?

Or white people should boycott Asian restaurants to force them to provide BBQ wings?

You said you're originally from Europe. What country? Maybe Hungary or one of the former Soviet republics?

Old 11-16-2018, 03:42 PM

1,830 posts, read 1,358,261 times
Well bueno, sorry to hear you’re having such a tough time in CA. An understanding of the history of the area (and the state), coupled with knowledge of basic human behavior, will help provide a better understanding of the situation. It’s been many years since I’ve lived in the area, so I can not comment on the changes.

As for restaurants other than Asian, we certainly have it here in the Houston and Sugar Land area. Come on down if you’re looking for BBQ, Tex-Mex, French, Italian, American/Continental, and all the fusions thereof.

I don’t know how “Americanized” they are (the definition seems to vary based on the region), but I know a few Vietnamese and other Asians who are certainly “Aggie-ized” (Texas A&M), “Cougar-ized” (U of H) and “Longhorn-ized” (UT). (And some even go to the rodeo)

And as mentioned, you are certainly free to move to other regions of this vast country that may be more suitable for you.

Old 11-16-2018, 03:50 PM

2,026 posts, read 2,775,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kthnry View Post
Or white people should boycott Asian restaurants to force them to provide BBQ wings?
They seem to be already boycotting something...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mingna View Post
Come on down if you’re looking for BBQ, Tex-Mex, French, Italian, American/Continental, and all the fusions thereof.
Sounds good.

Old 11-16-2018, 05:23 PM
fnh

2,888 posts, read 3,911,900 times
Herein are some charts pertinent to the discussion: https://www.cnbc.com/2018/11/15/char...oeEKKDOhP0jbGI

Old 11-16-2018, 07:01 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,909,665 times
Quote:
So the liberal solution to any problem is to invert it 180 degrees? Basically creating the same level of problem in the opposite direction, but this time without any legitimacy.
You should check in San Jose CA how many asian restaurants and how many american restaurants you find. The ratio is something like 20:1, that is my personal experience. A healthy ratio would be a 1:2.
I am starting to think that some opinions in this forum come from activists, that are way off from the average person, or maybe really Fort Bend (and Houston) is going Democrat as the topic title says.
I have been to Austin, New York, Miami, Florida Keys, Hawaii islands, these are all in the USA and I was able to find local culture/cuisine easily in all those places, except in Northern California where I live. I was wondering which is closer to Houston. In NorCal it is the liberals that make the local culture disappear.
Someone said celebrating all cultures. Why? Accepting and celebrating is not the same thing. Shooting over the target too much.
That is capitalist for you. The people who are opening the restaurants are to blame, not the politicians. No one can make someone open a restaurant and no one can make one successful if people don't want to eat there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston