Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2018, 01:49 AM

218 posts, read 220,712 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mingna View Post
I don't know enough about the first part to comment on it.

As for the bolded, "many asians" refers to what? Please specify, since you are talking about peoples from an entire continental region, and it is unclear if you are referring to Asians per se, or Americans of Asian descent.

As for cultural criticism, the aspects criticized by some of the immigrants I know are exactly the same ones I hear from native-born Americans of all stripes in today's world: the prevalence and promotion of unhealthy processed food in our national diet, especially those targeting kids; rampant predatory capitalistic practices such as price gouging of life-saving drugs (e.g. Epi-pen); and the promotion of material excess and lifestyle as the be-all-end-all for happiness, in our popular culture and media.

BUT, I also know of some Asian immigrants who embrace those aspects of American culture embraced by many other Americans, too: engagement in civic activity (e.g. scout leaders, volunteers in local public schools, volunteers for charity events); a high-trust community culture (not abusing public policies such as fruits for kids at markets, returns of merchandise); raising engaged, independent-thinking and creative kids, (with the objective for them to become net contributing, law-abiding adults via jobs and taxes); and practicing strong family values, morals and ethics.

I don't know if assimilation is a political policy as much as I know that it is probably guided by natural human behavior. I believe most people will adopt practices and beliefs they find beneficial, and discard those they find harmful - regardless of point of origin. History has shown this to be true.
Thank you.

Old 11-16-2018, 07:12 AM

18,130 posts, read 25,278,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buenos View Post
I'm in california, sorrounded my "progressives". I have been here for 6 years, I'm from Europe. I cannot detect much traces of America here in California, its more Asian, middle eastern or Mexican than American. The few Americans who are left here hate themselves and their culture.
Asians and Mexicans have lived in California longer than white people.
Keep on telling yourself that the only real Americans are white.

Old 11-16-2018, 08:32 AM

9,876 posts, read 6,583,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
I think having lots of different ethnic neighborhoods is certainly indicative of diversity. I don’t think ethnic neighborhoods are segregation; I think of segregation as being something forced on a people by a more powerful elite.

In any event I’m not familiar with Houston so tell me, are there no Black neighborhoods there? No Mexican neighborhoods or Anglo-Celt neighborhoods? Every neighborhood is like a Coke commercial? Tell me true.
Actually, Houston is one of the most segregated cities in the USA. Take a look at the demographic separation map.

Old 11-16-2018, 08:42 AM

8,338 posts, read 5,492,671 times
Quote:
I had an impression of some (especially white liberal) Americans being ashamed of their own culture. I have never seen it in other countries like this, I lived in 4 different countries so far (my profession takes me to places). It is rampant in northern California where I live right now, and that is one of the reasons why I want to relocate somewhere else. That is how it is related to the Houston forum.
It honestly sounds like youre looking for somewhere less diverse. Houston isnt going to fit that bill for you. Id check out some place like Wyoming or South Dakota.

Old 11-16-2018, 09:49 AM

17,183 posts, read 22,909,665 times
Quote:
I had an impression of some (especially white liberal) Americans being ashamed of their own culture. I have never seen it in other countries like this, I lived in 4 different countries so far (my profession takes me to places). It is rampant in northern California where I live right now, and that is one of the reasons why I want to relocate somewhere else. That is how it is related to the Houston forum.
You want to go back to a time when immigrants had to hide their culture and language? My grandfather would not allow his children (my dad and his brothers and sisters) to speak any language other than English. They were punished in school for speaking other languages. My grandfather spoke 5 languages and not one of his children learned any language except English. Sorry, but the celebration of all cultures is just fine with me.

Old 11-16-2018, 10:57 AM

2,026 posts, read 2,775,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
You want to go back to a time when immigrants had to hide their culture and language? .
- hide? More like restrain themselves as well mannered guests, out of respect to their hosts.
Actually both white and black Americans carry American culture and language (for generations), even European immigrants assimilate quickly.
There is a huge difference between being able to find a north indian restaurant, versus only being able to find indian/chinese/viatnamese places within a 5 mile radius. The problem is not the inclusion of some imported cultures, the problem is the intentional exclusion of the original local culture, like in northern California. Also whether immigrants are encouraged by locals to experience the local culture, vs locals promoting immigrants to avoid the local culture. That is what I was asking about.

Imagine a hypothetical scenario, that you are travelling to Paris (France), and you want to go to see the Eiffel Tower and want to go to eat Baguette, but your local friend insists to skip those lame things and lets go to a McDonalds instead. Of course this would never happen in France.

Old 11-16-2018, 11:25 AM

17,183 posts, read 22,909,665 times
Quote:
- hide? More like restrain themselves as well mannered guests, out of respect to their hosts.
Actually both white and black Americans carry American culture and language (for generations), even European immigrants assimilate quickly.
There is a huge difference between being able to find a north indian restaurant, versus only being able to find indian/chinese/viatnamese places within a 5 mile radius. The problem is not the inclusion of some imported cultures, the problem is the intentional exclusion of the original local culture, like in northern California. Also whether immigrants are encouraged by locals to experience the local culture, vs locals promoting immigrants to avoid the local culture. That is what I was asking about.

Imagine a hypothetical scenario, that you are travelling to Paris (France), and you want to go to see the Eiffel Tower and want to go to eat Baguette, but your local friend insists to skip those lame things and lets go to a McDonalds instead. Of course this would never happen in France.
LOL. You have no idea. I am old enough to remember when - immigrants could not get decent jobs if their names were not *American* enough, immigrants were punished in school for speaking their language to their friends, immigrants were not approved of.

Locals never encouraged immigrants to experience the local culture, they forced them to.

Btw, what local culture do you think is excluded? As for restaurants, what is opened is what people prefer to frequent. No one is excluded from opening a restaurant. I would bet there are plenty of American grills or other restaurants with American cuisine if you look for them.
Here are some in Los Angeles:
https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaura...alifornia.html
Here are others in California
https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaura..._Maryland.html

Old 11-16-2018, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
LOL. You have no idea. I am old enough to remember when - immigrants could not get decent jobs if their names were not *American* enough, immigrants were punished in school for speaking their language to their friends, immigrants were not approved of.

Locals never encouraged immigrants to experience the local culture, they forced them to.

Btw, what local culture do you think is excluded? As for restaurants, what is opened is what people prefer to frequent. No one is excluded from opening a restaurant. I would bet there are plenty of American grills or other restaurants with American cuisine if you look for them.
Here are some in Los Angeles:
https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaura...alifornia.html
Here are others in California
https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaura..._Maryland.html
So the liberal solution to any problem is to invert it 180 degrees? Basically creating the same level of problem in the opposite direction, but this time without any legitimacy.
You should check in San Jose CA how many asian restaurants and how many american restaurants you find. The ratio is something like 20:1, that is my personal experience. A healthy ratio would be a 1:2.
I am starting to think that some opinions in this forum come from activists, that are way off from the average person, or maybe really Fort Bend (and Houston) is going Democrat as the topic title says.
I have been to Austin, New York, Miami, Florida Keys, Hawaii islands, these are all in the USA and I was able to find local culture/cuisine easily in all those places, except in Northern California where I live. I was wondering which is closer to Houston. In NorCal it is the liberals that make the local culture disappear.
Someone said celebrating all cultures. Why? Accepting and celebrating is not the same thing. Shooting over the target too much.

Old 11-16-2018, 12:44 PM

2,132 posts, read 2,225,572 times
Quote:
So the liberal solution to any problem is to invert it 180 degrees? Basically creating the same level of problem in the opposite direction, but this time without any legitimacy.
You should check in San Jose CA how many asian restaurants and how many american restaurants you find. The ratio is something like 20:1, that is my personal experience. A healthy ratio would be a 1:2.
I am starting to think that some opinions in this forum come from activists, that are way off from the average person, or maybe really Fort Bend (and Houston) is going Democrat as the topic title says.
I have been to Austin, New York, Miami, Florida Keys, Hawaii islands, these are all in the USA and I was able to find local culture/cuisine easily in all those places, except in Northern California where I live. I was wondering which is closer to Houston. In NorCal it is the liberals that make the local culture disappear.
Someone said celebrating all cultures. Why? Accepting and celebrating is not the same thing. Shooting over the target too much.
Is your complaint that you are surrounded by too many Asian people? Or that you can't find a cheeseburger close to home?

What exactly are liberals doing to make "local culture" disappear?

How do you propose making people open more American restaurants where you'd like to see them? Do you see a government role in this process?

You may not like it, but where you live, Asians and Asian restaurants *are* the local culture. That's what local means -- specific to a particular region. In my part of town, the residents are mostly Mexican-American and 90% of the restaurants are taquerias. If I wanted to live in a more "American" environment, I'd move to the northside rather than expecting the southside to change to suit me.

Old 11-16-2018, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kthnry View Post
You may not like it, but where you live, Asians and Asian restaurants *are* the local culture. That's what local means -- specific to a particular region. In my part of town, the residents are mostly Mexican-American and 90% of the restaurants are taquerias. If I wanted to live in a more "American" environment, I'd move to the northside rather than expecting the southside to change to suit me.
In my area white people never go to a BBQ wings place, but to only asian restaurants.
In the same area asians never go to a BBQ wings place, but to only asian restaurants.
The difference is one group promotes the other, while the other group promotes themselves. That is a 180 degree reversal from what you said was 50 years ago.
One of you when describing how many different cuisines are available in Houston provided a list, but the list was missing things like BBQ or "southern food". I see a pattern, when some items are missing from lists, it is not by mistake.
There was a good reason for being harsh on foreigners speaking foreign languages publicly, to promote assimilation and social cohesion for the common good of everyone. Not doing it is like giving money to a drug addict cousin. You want him high or healthy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kthnry View Post
expecting the southside to change to suit me.
Actually you are the one promoting a change, that started in your lifetime, and is now almost complete.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston