Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2018, 10:27 AM

12,059 posts, read 13,890,870 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marksmu View Post
There is a houston case monitor website - you can find it if you look. It gives the reversal rates of all Harris county Judges, there is a way to search backwards as well. You will need to look up who was voted into the courts and 2008, and out shortly thereafter. The state also tracks reversal rates of district court judges.
Im not sure if you can find municipal or justice court judge information...they may be too small. There is a plethora of information for you.

There is no news short, quick, pretty new article that sums it pretty for you. You have to be involved in the legal system to have been keenly aware...As an attorney, married to an attorney, with many attorney friends, I am keenly aware of the status of our courts. Things got much better once we got most of the Obama wave out and replaced them with competent people.
Lots of Trump's actions were reversed by court orders too.

Old 11-16-2018, 10:37 AM

958 posts, read 2,574,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
Sorry, this year was different in terms of Democratic straight ticket voting. I really doubt if it happened much prior to this. Republicans voted more straight party in other years, I suspect.
That was an article from 2016.

Old 11-16-2018, 10:42 AM

2,756 posts, read 3,808,575 times
Quote:
There is a houston case monitor website - you can find it if you look. It gives the reversal rates of all Harris county Judges, there is a way to search backwards as well. You will need to look up who was voted into the courts and 2008, and out shortly thereafter. The state also tracks reversal rates of district court judges.
Im not sure if you can find municipal or justice court judge information...they may be too small. There is a plethora of information for you.

There is no news short, quick, pretty new article that sums it pretty for you. You have to be involved in the legal system to have been keenly aware...As an attorney, married to an attorney, with many attorney friends, I am keenly aware of the status of our courts. Things got much better once we got most of the Obama wave out and replaced them with competent people.
Got it. Your observation is purely anecdotal.

Old 11-16-2018, 11:17 AM

17,183 posts, read 22,916,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by predatorprey View Post
That was an article from 2016.
And the article (which gives a 404 error when I click on it) shows different percentages in different counties.

https://www.texastribune.org/2016/11...icket-ballots/

Quote:
the Democratic straight-ticket vote has grown during the last four presidential elections.
So when it was benefiting the Republicans, they thought it was just fine, but now that Democrats are taking more advantage of it, they are upset.

Quote:
The patterns vary by county, but Democrats have shown steady increases over the last four elections in almost every case. Republicans have had mixed results, with declining numbers in several of the top 10 counties.

In Fort Bend County, where straight-ticket Democrats outnumbered Republicans this year, 76 percent of voters cast straight-ticket ballots in this year’s general election — the highest percentage among the top 10 counties. Travis County, where 52.9 percent of voters cast straight tickets, was the lowest.
Note the results in Fort Bend.

Of course, this does not account for 2018.

Old 11-16-2018, 12:43 PM

1,835 posts, read 3,266,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txdemo View Post
Got it. Your observation is purely anecdotal.
Its a widely known fact. You can do your own research.

Old 11-16-2018, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Its a widely known fact. You can do your own research.
If it's a widely known fact, please point me to ANYTHING that documents your assertions that "Time to hear a case skyrocketed, number of times the judges were over-ruled on appeal exploded, juror dis-satisfaction was extremely high...basically the democrat judges failed to be effective at their jobs."

Old 11-16-2018, 01:28 PM

8,349 posts, read 5,502,221 times
There are more Democrat voters than Republican voters in Harris and Dallas Counties. I dont know why this is such a shock to everyone.

Old 11-16-2018, 02:02 PM

150 posts, read 134,198 times
You're such a typical contrarian partisan douche.

I have many attorney friends, and most of them are Democrats.

A group of (mostly Democrats) local Houston attorneys put out a detailed and comprehensive voting information sheet for local judicial races every election cycle that is circulated to their colleagues, who then circulate it to others. I was first offered this information several elections ago, and have asked for and received the 15+ page document ever since. I vote for all the recommended judges regardless of -R or -D beside their name. Not personally knowing but one or two of the judges any given year, I trust that attorney's are more qualified to make judgements and pick the better candidate.

Most (85%) of the judicial recommendations this year, and in past years were and have been for Republican judges, because of their quality and qualifications, not their affiliation. In fact, before this most recent election, one of my good friends--who is both a Democrat and an attorney--told me that he and all attorneys he knows were terrified that what happened (Democrat sweep) would happen, because so many of the challenging Democrat candidates were absolutely horrific choices.

Since the election, they've not been optimistic about the court system moving forward.
While these are the opinions of a group of attorneys, it is a fact that none of them are excited about the incoming Democrat judges, but have a rather negative outlook on the courts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by txdemo View Post
If it's a widely known fact, please point me to ANYTHING that documents your assertions that "Time to hear a case skyrocketed, number of times the judges were over-ruled on appeal exploded, juror dis-satisfaction was extremely high...basically the democrat judges failed to be effective at their jobs."

Old 11-16-2018, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by afterdark80 View Post
You're such a typical contrarian partisan douche.
Well, that's not friendly talk at all. How can I be contrarian when most people agree with me?

Old 11-16-2018, 07:18 PM

15,433 posts, read 7,491,963 times
Quote:

You mean "competent" judges like Denise Pratt? Or the "competent" judges that give court appointments to empty headed morons like Jared Woodfill? The Republican judges aren't all saints either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston