Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2018, 04:28 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,556,380 times

Advertisements

Apparently Donald's....*clears throat*...."cat"grabbing comments made Buzbee jump ship.

https://www.expressnews.com/news/loc...h-10415040.php
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2018, 04:59 PM

2,756 posts, read 3,807,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
Apparently Donald's....*clears throat*...."cat"grabbing comments made Buzbee jump ship.

https://www.expressnews.com/news/loc...h-10415040.php
Buzbee still donated $500k to Trump’s inauguration committee after that.

Old 11-15-2018, 05:14 PM

2,188 posts, read 3,217,718 times
Buzbee - ego guy, a Saul Goodman type of guy who will try to outspend you. thanks but no thanks we've had enough experiments

Old 11-15-2018, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbcu View Post
Buzbee - ego guy, a Saul Goodman type of guy who will try to outspend you. thanks but no thanks we've had enough experiments
In Texas City we know this guy pretty well. This isn't terribly off-base as a comparison. Neither would be the ambulance-chasing trial lawyer caricature, writ large.

Some people received a little money from his benzene lawsuit. A few of them might have actually deserved it. But they didn't get enough to buy a mansion in River Oaks, that's for sure.

Old 11-15-2018, 07:04 PM

4,875 posts, read 10,071,404 times
I don't see him becoming City of Houston Mayor... people there dislike Trump and he donated money to him AFTER his politics began.

Old 11-15-2018, 11:27 PM

19 posts, read 18,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txdemo View Post
Buzbee still donated $500k to Trump’s inauguration committee after that.
Yup, he can't run from it. That Trump stench is on him.

"Houston trial lawyer Tony Buzbee, who held a campaign fundraiser for Donald Trump in June 2016 in Houston but later revoked his support for the presidential candidate, gave $500,000 to Trump’s inauguration committee."
https://www.law.com/texaslawyer/almI...20181016011402

Old 11-16-2018, 07:28 AM

5,819 posts, read 7,232,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mingna View Post
Just a few questions for now: What’s his platform? What are his specific policies? What are his applicable experiences for this job? And how does he plan to use them to solve the city’s problems, and resolve the city’s issues - in a fiscally responsible manner?
All valid questions. It's not enough to say you're smart and rich and are gonna fix all our problems... be specific. I look forward to debates.

And it's easy to give away your salary when you've made mega-millions chasing ambulances.

Old 11-16-2018, 07:33 AM

1,483 posts, read 1,725,804 times
I haven't seen any useful substantive critiques of Turner's administration. There's a lot of generalization of democratic largesse, but nothing that actually makes concrete sense. I like Ed Emmett, but I think that he and Turner worked very well together during Harvey and I doubt if Emmett will try to unseat him. I also think Emmett wants to take it easy--at least that's the vibe I got from this concession talk. If Emmett were to run though, that would probably be the only republican I would consider voting for.

Old 11-16-2018, 08:35 AM

6,292 posts, read 7,498,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerbear30 View Post
I haven't seen any useful substantive critiques of Turner's administration. There's a lot of generalization of democratic largesse, but nothing that actually makes concrete sense. I like Ed Emmett, but I think that he and Turner worked very well together during Harvey and I doubt if Emmett will try to unseat him. I also think Emmett wants to take it easy--at least that's the vibe I got from this concession talk. If Emmett were to run though, that would probably be the only republican I would consider voting for.
The biggest issue I have with Turner was his absence during the debate over the expansion of the University of Texas into Houston. We had an excellent opportunity to have a prestigious University build a multi-million dollar research center that would have been dedicated to research that would have helped Houston bring untold millions or even billions, of research dollars into our economy.

When the issue was in the balance Turner was literally invisible . Then once McCraven backed off and canceled the project, only then did Turner magically appear with words of support for the UT Data Center. Problem is , it was too late at that time. It showed me that he wanted to appear to support the project yet at the same time not alienate his U of H cult alumni. He put his own political fortunes over that of the City and because of that Houston missed out on what was probably the greatest opportunity the city has had for another economic driver since the Medical Center was established.

If he was MIA during that battle no telling what else he has avoided or when he may disappear again.

Last edited by Jack Lance; 11-16-2018 at 09:58 AM..

Old 11-16-2018, 11:34 AM

Neither Turner or the city government have anything to do with decision-making at UH. If he were there, he'd have just been a spectator.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: