Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2018, 11:24 AM

948 posts, read 3,355,647 times

Advertisements

Ive read that seawall beach can be loaded with dog poo. I'm looking for a beach that I can swim in-- yup, it's a cold water swim. Any recommendations for a clean and swimable beach? Any chance I could walk there? I'l be staying near the railroad museum. Thank u!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2018, 01:17 PM

1,232 posts, read 1,901,219 times
We were out by 11 mile road over Thanksgiving and were pleasantly surprised by the beach cleanliness. Not sure if you will find same @ Seawall.

Old 12-05-2018, 02:55 PM

2,916 posts, read 1,514,140 times
I honestly would not swim in the water in Galveston. I have see way too many stories of people getting flesh eating bacteria from cuts, open wounds exposed to the gulf water. Tons of stories showing up in the newspaper over the years.

I personally never go past my ankles in the sea water at Galveston.

Old 12-05-2018, 03:05 PM

6,290 posts, read 7,494,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterShipWreck View Post
I honestly would not swim in the water in Galveston. I have see way too many stories of people getting flesh eating bacteria from cuts, open wounds exposed to the gulf water. Tons of stories showing up in the newspaper over the years.

I personally never go past my ankles in the sea water at Galveston.
This is so slanderous to try to paint Galveston as a cesspool , when flesh eating bacteria is found in seawater on beaches throughout the world.

Don't go into any populated beach water if you have open cuts or scrapes or compromised immune system.

About Vibrio vulnificus

Vibrio vulnificus is not associated with pollution and is not unique to the Gulf of Mexico, Texas or Galveston. The bacteria is naturally present in salt and brackish water around the world. Infections from Vibrio vulnificus are rare and typically affect people with pre-existing health conditions who had open cuts or sores when they came into contact with the bacteria.
https://www.gchd.org/public-health-s...ating-bacteria

Old 12-05-2018, 05:09 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,882,652 times
I don't do cold water, but I'm a guy - shrinkage...

Seriously, the water is really filthy. If you need to swim in December go to South Padre Island.

Old 12-05-2018, 07:05 PM

2,916 posts, read 1,514,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
Seriously, the water is really filthy. If you need to swim in December go to South Padre Island.
Yes, I agree

Old 12-05-2018, 07:53 PM

1,965 posts, read 1,265,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Lance View Post
This is so slanderous to try to paint Galveston as a cesspool , when flesh eating bacteria is found in seawater on beaches throughout the world.

Don't go into any populated beach water if you have open cuts or scrapes or compromised immune system.

About Vibrio vulnificus

Vibrio vulnificus is not associated with pollution and is not unique to the Gulf of Mexico, Texas or Galveston. The bacteria is naturally present in salt and brackish water around the world. Infections from Vibrio vulnificus are rare and typically affect people with pre-existing health conditions who had open cuts or sores when they came into contact with the bacteria.
https://www.gchd.org/public-health-s...ating-bacteria
And then rather than actually understand this very useful info, the weenies would rather talk about how you probably "have an agenda", or work for the Galveston tourism board.

Old 12-05-2018, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
I don't do cold water, but I'm a guy - shrinkage...

The water off Galveston is usually murky, but bacteria levels are not any higher than any other high density use beach.

Old 12-05-2018, 09:57 PM

1,721 posts, read 1,021,493 times
Was this a troll thread? The stupidity on this board never ceases to amaze me.

Old 12-05-2018, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanJac View Post
Was this a troll thread? The stupidity on this board never ceases to amaze me.
Whenever a thread about Galveston is posted it always brings out the trolls. They are usually from Central and North Texas and this thread is no different.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston