Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2018, 12:07 PM

3,163 posts, read 1,724,350 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasroots77 View Post
second Prestonwood. Have not been in years but it was very impressive! Rover Oaks is always fun too but Prestonwood is over the top. Like they must work on this all year.
Unsure how to get there, but I think that it would be worth the drive!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2018, 02:07 PM

158 posts, read 181,507 times
If you're on Gessner going south of Clay, there's a road called Kemp Forest Dr. Take a right (towards the Beltway), all the way to the dead end. Then take another right (street is called Quincannon Ln). Its a dead end too, but the family that owns like half that block goes all out. In turn, it makes a lot of the neighbors decorate well too. We stumbled across this last year.

Old 12-10-2018, 02:49 PM

348 posts, read 459,993 times
Prestonwood is close to me. I'm going to check it out. It looks like a huge deal, there's voting and all lol

Prestonwood Forest Online - Home

Old 12-10-2018, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K LoLo View Post
If you're on Gessner going south of Clay, there's a road called Kemp Forest Dr. Take a right (towards the Beltway), all the way to the dead end. Then take another right (street is called Quincannon Ln). Its a dead end too, but the family that owns like half that block goes all out. In turn, it makes a lot of the neighbors decorate well too. We stumbled across this last year.
Thank you!!

Old 12-10-2018, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbf2006 View Post
Prestonwood is close to me. I'm going to check it out. It looks like a huge deal, there's voting and all lol

Prestonwood Forest Online - Home
Thank you!!

Old 12-11-2018, 06:25 PM

2,945 posts, read 4,989,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanJac View Post
Prestonwood Forest is very coordinated by the neighborhood - every street has a theme. There will be lines of cars going through the procession.

The Heights will be eclectic...some houses will decorate while others not...

River Oaks will be a mixture with some houses well done while others not at all. I would skip River Oaks.

Candlelight used to be the rage back in the day but it is not what it used to be either. Some streets still participate but not like in its heyday.

You might also take the kids to the Houston zoo or Moody Gardens. I hear those places are nicely decorated for the holidays. https://zoolights.houstonzoo.org/get-tickets/

Good luck!

I did not know about Prestonwood until a few years ago. Trying to short cut down Schroeder to visit someone at Methodist Willowbrook turned into a nightmare

Pretty lights, horrible traffic. I was about to park and walk.

Old 12-11-2018, 11:12 PM

7,540 posts, read 11,569,183 times
Scott Terrace Off Yellow Stone and Scott is decent about 5 to 6 street with many homes decorated

Old 12-13-2018, 11:42 AM

2 posts, read 1,201 times
River Oaks - Enter River Oaks from Kirby at Shephard or Westheimer and begin winding your way through this elegant Houston neighborhood that boasts grandiose and traditional displays of white lights. You will discover enclaves of beautifully wrapped trees, glowing deer, and lights dripping from large branches creating stunning landscapes.

Houston's Shopping Districts - Post Oak Boulevard, Highland Village, and Uptown - These shopping centers offer lovely lighting displays and are a quick 10-minute add-on to the River Oaks neighborhood lights. From Loop 610, take San Felipe west into Post Oak, then turn left onto Post Oak and drive south toward the Galleria, where you can catch spectacular white lights on the Christmas trees lining Uptown's main holiday thoroughfare. Take a left on Westheimer and cross under the Loop to head towards Highland Village, where you will see palm trees with white lights lining the road. Take a left onto Kirby to make your way into the heart of River Oaks described above.

Woodland Heights and the Heights - Known for its Christmas lights and its famous Lights in the Heights event, this is an easily accessible neighborhood with many award-winning light displays. Drive within the area bordered by I-10, Heights Boulevard and 19th Street to I-45 making sure to cruise the streets of Bayland and Highland, and you will be sure to find many eye-catching and magical holiday scenes.

Shepherd Park and Candlelight Park - Start north of West 43rd Street on either side of Ella Boulevard to find many giant inflatable characters, arches over the streets, large cutouts, and dioramas.

Spring Shadows - At the end of Kemp Forest (off Gessner) you will find colorful and fanciful Christmas light displays along the 3000 block of Quincannon Lane including traditionally decorated homes, large wrapped trees, and entire lots filled with whimsical holiday cheer.

The Woodlands - Most neighborhoods in this area will have decorated homes and streets that are show-stoppers but start at the Panther Creek and Alden Bridge neighborhoods for over-the-top Christmas light displays set to music.

Briargrove - Off Westheimer (near San Felipe and Chimney Rock) this longtime Houston neighborhood has certainly aged well. The houses and the towering oak trees spread throughout are decked out in holiday cheer each year.

Prestonwood Forest - Start at Prestonwood Forest Drive, just off Highway 249. This neighborhood in Northwest Houston is known to be the top area to experience extravagant Christmas lights with themed streets and even a chance to see Santa. Since the 1980s, neighbors have competed in several categories including best house, best block, and even best lamp post. Visit during Prestonwood Forest's annual Nite of Lites event from Dec. 8-30, 2018, and you can vote for your favorite lights online for the People's Choice Award. Plan for this trip to take an hour and a half to two hours in order to have time to see all the complex displays and to park and get out of your car for some of them.

Franck's Christmas Light Show in Copperfield - Located at 15923 Viney Creek. The Franck family has shared their neighborhood lights tradition with visitors since 2008. Lights are synchronized with music broadcast on 89.7 FM.

Cleveland Christmas Ranch - Located at 14651 FM 1725 in Cleveland, TX. For 32 years, the owners of Christmas Ranch has invited the public to drive through their complex and beautiful Christmas light display with nearly 300,000 lights now located in Cleveland, TX. You will see many glowing scenes and decor including Santa and Mrs. Claus, Christmas bears, and even dinosaurs with Santa hats. Santa will be there to visit and take photos on Saturdays from 6-8 p.m. It is free, but the Christmas Ranch accepts donations to St. Mary's Catholic Church to help those in need in the community.

Schultz Holiday Lights in Spring - Located at 19827 Rose Dawn Lane, Spring. The Schultz family has invited visitors to its animated holiday lights display since 2010. Colorful trees and other seasonal decor are synchronized with a playlist of lively holiday tunes.

Christmas Katy - Located at 24603 Stoughton Court off I-10 and Pin Oak in West Houston. This home celebrates its tenth year of synchronized lighting. It features more than 50,000 LED lights, a 32-foot tree, 10-foot Nutcrackers, and a Christmas show with 17 songs broadcast on 89.9 FM. The whole street is lit up and beautiful as neighbors are also a part of the show.

Dickinson Festival of Lights - This is a walk-through, not a drive-through, lights display at Paul Hopkins Park in Dickinson. Lights will be on every evening from 6-8:30 p.m. from Nov. 24-Dec. 23, 2018. In addition to large light displays, food and drink concessions and photos with Santa are available. There is free parking at Dickinson Plaza Shopping Center and free shuttle buses.

Green Tee Terrace Subdivision in Pearland - Located off FM 518 and Country Club. This is a neighborhood with a long history of gorgeous Christmas light displays. The annual Tour De Lites is a one-and-a-half-hour bike ride (and hayride) through the area to see the lights, at 7 p.m. Saturday, Dec. 8, 2018.

Pecan Grove in Richmond - This Fort Bend neighborhood is known for its Christmas lights. Kids often get to see the lights on hayrides through the streets.

Candy Cane Court and other neighborhoods in Atascocita - Located in the Pinehurst Subdivision, you will find Evening Shades Court which residents turn into Candy Cane Court each Christmas. Giant candy canes, candy cane trees, a life-size dancing Santa, a mailbox for letters to Santa, music, a homemade train that travels around the cul-de-sac, and lights upon lights transform the street into a Christmas destination complete with friendly neighbors passing out candy canes to visitors. Other planned communities to check out nearby include the Walden, Eagle Springs, and Summerwood neighborhoods.

Old 12-14-2018, 06:10 AM

33,325 posts, read 12,491,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snackdog View Post
Every neighborhood decorates in Houston.

Here is a list of those who go a little too far, if that is what you mean -

https://houston.citymomsblog.com/hou...istmas-lights/
^^^^^ When I saw this post, I thought about two neighborhoods and wondered if either or both are on that list.

Sure enough, both are.

One being Prestonwood Forest.

The other being the single family home section of Tangle Brush Drive, east and north of Glen Loch Dr in Panther Creek in The Woodlands.

Old 12-14-2018, 07:35 AM

2,441 posts, read 2,520,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasroots77 View Post
second Prestonwood. Have not been in years but it was very impressive! Rover Oaks is always fun too but Prestonwood is over the top. Like they must work on this all year.
First time I hear about this place.
Why it is so unique? Do they have some kind of a program that promotes lights culture?
My neighborhood is also super decorated. But I became curious about Prestonwood. It's not too far from me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston