Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2018, 03:34 AM

967 posts, read 2,610,050 times

Advertisements

There is nothing “country suburb” about Katy/Sugar Land/ Cinco Ranch anymore. It’s a nice suburban place to live if your work is on the west side of town. But it is congested, a lot of traffic, a lot of people.

People here know what they’re talking about, when they advise you to consider the commute. It’s no joke! This city is spread out with sprawl much further out than you are imagining. No lie, you could end up with a 2 hour morning commute, (or more!) if you aren’t careful. And then you’ll rarely be home to enjoy whatever it is you’re craving in Katy/Cinco Ranch/Sugar Land.

Obviously you do you. You don’t have to listen to our advice. You’ll find out for yourself. But if you find so many Houtonians saying the same things, you might want to consider that they have a valid point. (For your own best interests)

Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2018, 05:53 AM

1,940 posts, read 3,564,103 times
Houston suburbs do have great nightlife! The best nightlife is hanging out with friends. In Houston you will meet people who open up pretty easily, especially when you're in your 20s and it's easier to find groups.

In Houston you can find a lot more people who have great house parties, BBQs, a backyard party or wine and dinner night. You'll meet people from all over the world hanging out together and you won't need to drop a thousand bucks for bottle service or some other pretentious junk. Houston has a great culture for that and it is a lot easier to find your tribe here no matter what that is. People are just more open and welcoming and used to transplants from every continent.

Old 12-26-2018, 07:01 AM

18,131 posts, read 25,282,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunshineandsouthernmess View Post
I want to live in a nice slow part of Houston where the people are down to earth. Does the Katy/cinco ranch/sugar land area meet that or should I be looking elsewhere?
Can you explain what you mean with "down to earth" people?

Old 12-26-2018, 04:39 PM

5,614 posts, read 4,939,687 times
The location of your job is VERY important. It could easily be in a suburb 20 miles from the center of town. If it is, and you pick a suburb across the city to live in, your commute (and life) would be truly awful. For example, if you choose to live in Sugar Land, and your job is in The Woodlands.

Old 12-26-2018, 04:56 PM

20 posts, read 27,195 times
I appreciate everyone’s comments. I’m a suburban girl, it’s how I was raised so it’s good to know that Houston is a friendly and wonderful community to be a part of. I’m getting more and more excited to come. I just wasn’t sure what to expect there.

Old 12-26-2018, 07:17 PM

4,380 posts, read 4,622,736 times
Quote:
I knew a few years ago I wanted to move to Texas, but I finally decided on Houston. I will be moving there after the school year is over so May 2019. I have done tons of research but I’m curious what the locals say.

What is the weather like (besides humid)?
What are the people like?
What is the dating scene like, (I’m a single 23 year old female)?
What is the night life like(I’m not a huge partier but I want to know what restaurants and bars and such is like)?
Anything else you can tell me will be helpful. Thank you in advance!!
1.Not the biggest fan of the Weather but there's worst places. Winters are really non existent but it can go cold during the Winter. You said you're from Colorado so the winters here should be nothing for you to handle. It rain's quite often and summers can be brutal if your not use to the humidity.

2. The People in Houston generally are cool and laid back. On the road is a completely different story. Not the most aggressive drivers(FLORIDA) but this is one of the cities in my experience that has some of the worst aggressive drivers to the point it can be a little bit hectic. I wouldn't say Houston is overly friendly but not overly "rude" either.

3. Dating scene: There's a lot of people in the city so it shouldn't be hard at all. Most people nowadays go on dating websites and just meet up with people in the city based off that.

4. There's something always going on as far as night life. Houston has a little bit of everything for everybody. Only problem with the nightlife is there's no centralized location. But it has gotten better in certain areas like downtown, East downtown, Midtown, Montrose area,3rd Ward. There's not too may centralized locations in the Suburbs that I can think of outside of a Market street area. The Woodlands has that going for them and possibly Sugarland.

Quote:
I will be living in the vicinity of Katy, Cinco Ranch, Sugarland, etc. I want to live in the “country suburbs” of Houston. I am not a city girl at all. I want to live in a slower suburb where nice down to earth folks live, bbqs on the weekend, not too far from a target and chick fil a and so on. I don’t want to live in a ghetto or unsafe area (I’ll be living alone) Where my job is located doesn’t play a part in my decision at this point because my job will change within 6 months. I will be commuting either way. So I want to worry about where my home is located and where I can feel safe and meet what im looking for. I have commuted up to an hour before and here in Colorado if it snows that turns into two hours. I’m used to it.

I want to live in a nice slow part of Houston where the people are down to earth. Does the Katy/cinco ranch/sugar land area meet that or should I be looking elsewhere?
"Slow Country Suburbs" much farther out of the city limits honestly. I wouldn't consider Katy/Cinco Ranch or Sugarland country suburbs or slow at all. Too much congestion and construction going on in those areas to be considered Country or Slow. Areas like Magnolia, New Caney, Porter, Brookshire, Rosenberg, Manvel, Alvin would fit more of the Country Suburb. Tomball might still have some areas that are slow and country but even that area is increasingly tearing down farmland in exchange for shopping centers, townhomes and subdivisions so it'll be a matter of time before your Slow country Suburb turns into another Fast paced heavy traffic community.

Old 12-26-2018, 07:51 PM

1,091 posts, read 1,076,102 times
Quote:
What is the weather like (besides humid)?
What are the people like?
What is the dating scene like, (I’m a single 23 year old female)?
What is the night life like(I’m not a huge partier but I want to know what restaurants and bars and such is like)?
Anything else you can tell me will be helpful. Thank you in advance!!
Hi,

As my username shows, I am also from CO!

I moved to ATX in 2015 and came back to Houston, after a teaching stint in E Texas. But, about your questions:

1. The people are very diverse; From a personality standpoint I found people to be, for the most part, to be mostly friendly, considering the size of the city. However, Houston drivers are a whole 'nother animal. Before I left Denver, I found that drivers were usually polite (this was before the post-2011 mass migration into Colorado), but I can say that drivers in Houston are much crazier (but then again it's a low bar to clear to say that drivers in other cities are better drivers than Houston drivers, except for drivers on the E Coast ).

2. I'm not sure about the dating scene, but I think a lot of it comes down to how often you go out and how hard you try to meet people. There are definitely a wide range of backgrounds, so you should have a fair amount of guys that would be single.

3. The nightlife is good enough; I feel that Austin had a much more vibrant nightlife, but I think Houston might be better based on what your looking for. Personally, I like The Heights and Montrose for going out and I hear others suggest midtown. But, those are all "in the loop", so it wouldn't coincide with your wanting more of a suburban feel. But, then again, I found The Heights to have more of a family feel, so you might end up liking it.

Hmm, what else to tell? Well, you can finally not worry about snow, or commuting in the snow! But, then again, you can say goodbye to summers that don't resemble saunas (but, personally I grew used to them). Also, we don't have blizzards here, but do get flooding and hurricanes. Although I realize that most people already know that. The plus here in HTX is that there is an amazing array of food options available, so that's neat!

Old 12-27-2018, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
1.Not the biggest fan of the Weather but there's worst places. Winters are really non existent but it can go cold during the Winter. You said you're from Colorado so the winters here should be nothing for you to handle. It rain's quite often and summers can be brutal if your not use to the humidity.

2. The People in Houston generally are cool and laid back. On the road is a completely different story. Not the most aggressive drivers(FLORIDA) but this is one of the cities in my experience that has some of the worst aggressive drivers to the point it can be a little bit hectic. I wouldn't say Houston is overly friendly but not overly "rude" either.

3. Dating scene: There's a lot of people in the city so it shouldn't be hard at all. Most people nowadays go on dating websites and just meet up with people in the city based off that.

4. There's something always going on as far as night life. Houston has a little bit of everything for everybody. Only problem with the nightlife is there's no centralized location. But it has gotten better in certain areas like downtown, East downtown, Midtown, Montrose area,3rd Ward. There's not too may centralized locations in the Suburbs that I can think of outside of a Market street area. The Woodlands has that going for them and possibly Sugarland.

"Slow Country Suburbs" much farther out of the city limits honestly. I wouldn't consider Katy/Cinco Ranch or Sugarland country suburbs or slow at all. Too much congestion and construction going on in those areas to be considered Country or Slow. Areas like Magnolia, New Caney, Porter, Brookshire, Rosenberg, Manvel, Alvin would fit more of the Country Suburb. Tomball might still have some areas that are slow and country but even that area is increasingly tearing down farmland in exchange for shopping centers, townhomes and subdivisions so it'll be a matter of time before your Slow country Suburb turns into another Fast paced heavy traffic community.
Thank you so much for the information! A Houston suburb sounds exactly like what I am looking for. I don’t mind the humidity, I’m originally from Louisiana. The worry about flooding will have to take some getting used to. I have heard that the drivers in Texas are crazy but honestly Colorado has gotten SO BAD with drivers with how many outsiders have flooded the state, especially the Denver and Colorado Springs area where I am. Thank you again for the comment and answering my questions! They helped me a lot (:

Old 12-27-2018, 09:07 PM

And hello fellow Colorado native!

I have heard texas drivers are bad but like you said the influx of people to Colorado has made Colorado driving almost miserable so I think texas won’t be too bad. I’ve never had a problem in visiting there, I find y’all actually let people out and use your signals, and use the passing lane to pass! Lol And, Austin really isn’t up my ally but I’m sure they have a crazy nightlife and music scene. But I’m suburban and just looking for a nice suburban town to start my life in Texas. I keep hearing people talk about “the loop” what does that mean? So glad to be wscaping the snow and actually kind of like the humidity. The sunshine and the heat weather to last longer, the weather sounds great there.

Old 12-27-2018, 09:30 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,913,302 times
Quote:
And hello fellow Colorado native!

I have heard texas drivers are bad but like you said the influx of people to Colorado has made Colorado driving almost miserable so I think texas won’t be too bad. I’ve never had a problem in visiting there, I find y’all actually let people out and use your signals, and use the passing lane to pass! Lol And, Austin really isn’t up my ally but I’m sure they have a crazy nightlife and music scene. But I’m suburban and just looking for a nice suburban town to start my life in Texas. I keep hearing people talk about “the loop” what does that mean? So glad to be wscaping the snow and actually kind of like the humidity. The sunshine and the heat weather to last longer, the weather sounds great there.
The Loop circles the inner part of Houston.

Map://www.city-data.com/forum/attac...1&d=1545971434
Attached Thumbnails
I chose Houston-houston_loop_map.jpg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston