Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-26-2018, 07:50 PM

15,632 posts, read 24,431,732 times

Advertisements

I've decided to sell my house and move to some acreage bordering one of the national forests in Texas.

My house is in excellent condition. It was remodeled a few years back, with many upgrades, and probably has the highest value in the subdivision. Sadly, though, that doesnt mean too much because all these houses are starter homes. My own house was a starter home when I bought it almost 40 years ago.

It's taken me a few years to decide to sell, as I love this house so much -- but the crime in this area area has gotten so bad that I have to drive a good distance to get anywhere safe to walk, exercise my dog, etc.

I'm somewhat disabled from a stroke 10 years ago and really dont want to deal with looky-loos traipsing in and out. So I've been researching various professional home buyers. I know I wouldnt get full asking price but, since my house doesnt need any repairs at all, I wonder if I could get somewhere close to asking price (based on a professional appraisal I had four years ago).

Have any of you dealt with professional home buyers? I found the names of two who supposedly have good reviews (if you can trust reviews) and will have both of them come out and give me an offer. But I thought I'd ask here if anyone has any recommendations re companies and things to consider. Thanks so much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2018, 11:05 PM

9,053 posts, read 17,197,318 times
Professional home buyers buy homes that need some repairs, but the owners don't have the money to do so. They pay less than market rate, because their profit comes from that portion between the repair costs and market rate. Don't forget they have to pay closing costs for the buying and consequential sell. Example: a house in a neighborhood would normally go for about $200K in good condition. That house needs new carpet and counters, but the seller doesn't have the money to do it. The We Buy Houses people come in and pay $140K, and then close, do the necessary carpet and counter replacement and put it on the market and sell for $200K. The $60K difference, minus carpet and counter replacement costs, minus closing costs, minus utilities, is the profit. You are not going to be happy with their offers.

You are better off listing it. Lookie-loos are not usually in the mix, as people are coming in with a Realtor. Find a neighbor to visit whenever the house is going to be shown. Be aware that, if you are over-improved for your particular subdivision, it won't appraise for over much over top price sold in that neighborhood.

Old 12-29-2018, 11:34 PM

15,632 posts, read 24,431,732 times
Thanks so much for the info, cheryjohns! I've given out too many reps today but will rep you tomorrow.

Old 12-30-2018, 08:57 AM

196 posts, read 182,809 times
Which area is your home located

Old 01-03-2019, 10:05 AM

7 posts, read 3,898 times
TFW46, I agree with cheryjohns. The best way to deal with your situation is to hire a responsible Realtor. A Realtor will know the prices, selling time, and other important info for your area. Ask whoever you hire if they would be willing to do accompanied showings. That means they or someone from their office will be there whenever there is a showing. Once you get an offer they will take care of all the details for you. Yes you will pay 6% most likely, but they will also get it sold and you on your way to the woods. DM me if you need more information. Best of luck.

Old 01-03-2019, 11:05 AM

12 posts, read 7,516 times
Terrible idea, you'll get likely 80 cents on the dollar on a good day, try selling it the traditional way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: