U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-19-2019, 05:52 PM

903 posts, read 741,002 times

Advertisements

Anybody can see that gentrification is designed to get rid of the longtime residents and replace them with upper-income residents; that's why low-income residents are fighting it tooth & nail in the hoods of 3rd Ward, Sunnyside, Acres Homes, and so on because those hoods were built off the backs of blacks. Those shotgun shacks you see in 3rd Ward above Truxillo St., they were built by blacks, same for Sunnyside and Acres Homes, 5th Ward, and so on. Houston's black neighborhoods have history behind them because blacks had to learn self-sufficiency when they weren't allowed to live anywhere else in North Houston.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2019, 06:01 PM

915 posts, read 274,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcresHomes44 View Post
Anybody can see that gentrification is designed to get rid of the longtime residents and replace them with upper-income residents; that's why low-income residents are fighting it tooth & nail in the hoods of 3rd Ward, Sunnyside, Acres Homes, and so on because those hoods were built off the backs of blacks. Those shotgun shacks you see in 3rd Ward above Truxillo St., they were built by blacks, same for Sunnyside and Acres Homes, 5th Ward, and so on. Houston's black neighborhoods have history behind them because blacks had to learn self-sufficiency when they weren't allowed to live anywhere else in North Houston.
And anyone that truly understands the process of gentrification will see the "race war" narrative as the manufactured sham it truly is.

Old 11-19-2019, 06:30 PM

4,703 posts, read 8,478,822 times
Indeed businesses care most about the almighty dollar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrappyJoe View Post
And anyone that truly understands the process of gentrification will see the "race war" narrative as the manufactured sham it truly is.
Business interests want gentrification and folks like Lenwood Johnson fought it tooth and nail. One element to consider is that the business POV is "Why do we have blighted areas with high crime rates so close to the CBD? That's valuable land." Remember Johnson was more opposed to establishment pro business black establishment folks like SJL than against Republican figures.

Poor African Americans should make efforts to combat the "thuglife" as that excuse is being used against them. I'm aware middle and upper class blacks complain all the time about that (Southfield, Michigan had wealthier black people complain about bad behavior from poor blacks from Detroit moving in) so I think it's not fair to group all black people in the same group (theres a book which has a thesis that there are four or so distinct groups of African Americans).

In any case the specific group of poor African Americans should know that the "thuglife" needs to eradicated entirely from their communities or the business interests will have no significant opposition in their plans.

Quote:

Last edited by Vicman; 11-19-2019 at 06:40 PM..

Old 11-19-2019, 06:42 PM

37 posts, read 6,237 times
Quote:

Exactly, and I wouldn't count 4th ward all the way outta there. It's still hanging on by a thread. And the Freedmen town community is still fighting for it. Most recently they came out and stood in front of the demolishonist and all of their machinery to stop the removal of the bricks laid by freed slaves, which were recently reinstalled, thanks to their activism. The rest of the AA community in the city needs to rally behind them.

Acres Homes and Third ward seem to be the most active against it. Sunnyside, Studewood/IH, 5th, Kashmere, Trinity, and especially the 4th need that same energy.

And don't think Clinton Park and Pleasantville in the East will be immune either. It's coming there too. They should be proactive and stopping it now.

Folks in the 44 naturally have always had that self sufficient mindset. Lotta people don't know that they only officially became apart of the city in 70s. Before that they were a large independent unincorporated rurban community of AAs built from the ground up by the forefathers and foremothers of the people living there.

The 2nd and 3rd gen diasporas of the people who left these neighborhoods need to make an effort to return set up shop or at least invest to breath new life into these neighborhoods organically. We also need to reach out to our homeless and incarcerated populations to help them get back on their feet as a large number of them are originally from these neighborhoods.

These were all freedmens towns built under the philosophy that African-Americans can live happily, self sufficient, and free from white violence and domination. Our ancestors are rolling in the grave at the fact that we would allow these communities to be gentrified by the same people who they were trying to get away from when they built them.

Last edited by JYHTOWN; 11-19-2019 at 08:12 PM..

Old 11-19-2019, 08:29 PM

4,703 posts, read 8,478,822 times
The freedmen's town bricks absolutely need to remain; cultural heritage is very important. Even if the people living in the community change (as in become wealthier), the past needs to be preserved. The historic churches and institutions need to remain even if the surroundings are now full of wealthy people.

In regards to shotgun shacks, keep the ones in the best condition and/or send them to Sam Houston Park. The ones in poor condition might be OK to demo.

I'm a bit surprised to hear gentrification and Sunnyside/Kashmere Gardens/Trinity Gardens in the same sentence; I don't see those areas being in danger of gentrifying anytime soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JYHTOWN View Post
Exactly, and I wouldn't count 4th ward all the way outta there. It's still hanging on by a thread. And the Freedmen town community is still fighting for it. Most recently they came out and stood in front of the demolishonist and all of their machinery to stop the removal of the bricks laid by freed slaves, which were recently reinstalled, thanks to their activism. The rest of the AA community in the city needs to rally behind them.

Acres Homes and Third ward seem to be the most active against it. Sunnyside, Studewood/IH, 5th, Kashmere, Trinity, and especially the 4th need that same energy.

And don't think Clinton Park and Pleasantville in the East will be immune either. It's coming there too. They should be proactive and stopping it now.

Folks in the 44 naturally have always had that self sufficient mindset. Lotta people don't know that they only officially became apart of the city in 70s. Before that they were a large independent unincorporated rurban community of AAs built from the ground up by the forefathers and foremothers of the people living there.

The 2nd and 3rd gen diasporas of the people who left these neighborhoods need to make an effort to return set up shop or at least invest to breath new life into these neighborhoods organically. We also need to reach out to our homeless and incarcerated populations to help them get back on their feet as a large number of them are originally from these neighborhoods.

These were all freedmens towns built under the philosophy that African-Americans can live happily, self sufficient, and free from white violence and domination. Our ancestors are rolling in the grave at the fact that we would allow these communities to be gentrified by the same people who they were trying to get away from when they built them.

Old 11-19-2019, 09:54 PM

2,530 posts, read 2,137,345 times
Everything said here about Houston's heritage AA neighborhoods is true, in my opinion. They were built up by black folks who weren't allowed to live or conduct business elsewhere due to racist laws and practices.

The idea that those legacy populations should be given preference by government to purchase property and/or reside there is nonetheless appalling bunk and should be righteously excluded from policy conversation. That is inarguable. Anyone of any ethnicity should have an equal right to purchase property or live in that neighborhood, regardless of how much they want to interact with the heritage population. This country went through an entire civil rights movement - led in large part by Black folks - to get to this basic principle. We will not go back.

Old 11-19-2019, 10:46 PM

1,233 posts, read 2,719,450 times
Default What is the problem here?

Why would anyone have a problem with making improvements to a neighborhood? I thought that was the whole idea. You know, make it a better place to live. What's wrong with that?
I wouldn't complain if someone wanted to make my neighborhood look more attractive. Especially if it does not cost me a penny.
I just dont understand this thread. What is the point? You dont want anyone to fix up all those run down houses? Why don"t they maintain their houses then? I've seen 3rd ward before it started to get cleaned up. It used to be a dump. And now that its getting cleaned up you are complaining?
Would you prefer to allow the neighborhood to remain as a run down area? What would be the logic with that?

Old 11-19-2019, 11:11 PM

2,530 posts, read 2,137,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd433 View Post
Why would anyone have a problem with making improvements to a neighborhood? I thought that was the whole idea. You know, make it a better place to live. What's wrong with that?
I wouldn't complain if someone wanted to make my neighborhood look more attractive. Especially if it does not cost me a penny.
I just dont understand this thread. What is the point? You dont want anyone to fix up all those run down houses? Why don"t they maintain their houses then? I've seen 3rd ward before it started to get cleaned up. It used to be a dump. And now that its getting cleaned up you are complaining?
Would you prefer to allow the neighborhood to remain as a run down area? What would be the logic with that?
Any well-located neighborhood that gets aesthetic, infrastructure or public service improvements is liable to be subject to real estate price increases that end up pricing out the legacy population. That is a valid concern. It's not crazy to try to offer some programs that might allow at least a portion of existing residents to remain, as long as those programs are opt-in on the part of property owners.

3rd Ward residents were smart to be worried that the recent Emancipation Park improvements (which are pretty awesome) might accelerate gentrification. Fortunately Garnet Coleman's use of Midtown TIRZ funds to engage in market transactions to acquire land has been able to preserve locations for affordable housing development. Voluntary ownership decisions and market transactions by affordability-minded entities like local government or nonprofits are really the only acceptable way to counteract gentrification.

Old 11-20-2019, 12:41 AM

12,381 posts, read 18,600,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JYHTOWN View Post
Yeah, I'm familiar with the Boyle Heights activist in East LA. I support them based off principle. But, I'm talking about African-Americans in Houston.

And even still their case in LA isn't as strong as ours in Houston. LA wasn't built off the chattel slave labor of Hispanics, like Houston was of African Americans. There aren't as many Mexican communities literally founded and built from the ground up by Mexican immigrants in LA as there are by the African-American freedmen in the Houston area.

The racial scars in LA with mexicans aren't anywhere near as deep as they are with AAs in Houston. The zoot suit riots can't compare to the Camp Logan riots or even the TSU riots or the Carl Hampton police execution. Though racist whites and white supremacy were the cause all of them.
Educate!!! They choose not to understand, even though they know it’s wrong. There’s definitely an elephant in the room.

Old 11-20-2019, 01:02 AM

1,757 posts, read 2,253,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicman View Post
The freedmen's town bricks absolutely need to remain; cultural heritage is very important. Even if the people living in the community change (as in become wealthier), the past needs to be preserved. The historic churches and institutions need to remain even if the surroundings are now full of wealthy people.

In regards to shotgun shacks, keep the ones in the best condition and/or send them to Sam Houston Park. The ones in poor condition might be OK to demo.

I'm a bit surprised to hear gentrification and Sunnyside/Kashmere Gardens/Trinity Gardens in the same sentence; I don't see those areas being in danger of gentrifying anytime soon.

Sunnyside is a rougher acres homes that doesn’t border any desired real estate gold mine like acres home. Acres Home is basically Oak Forest - it borders there, I-45, 249 and serves 3 school districts. Much more desirable.

Sunnyside borders South Park, an industrial part of 288, South Union - none of those areas are hot residential wise and Sunnyside is strictly HISD. The only benefits to Sunnyside is all major streets from Houston to Pearland to West Houston all exist.

It’s going to take time there as it ain’t the heights
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or