U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-26-2019, 12:06 PM

37 posts, read 6,210 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
Really now. When did they get there, and how?

Read it and weep.

https://books.google.com/books?id=EY...0clear&f=false

Now, with that being the case. Why do you and other bigoted whites try to sweep this history under the rug and act like Houston was built by some mythical "hardworking white folks" that never existed when it and all the surrounding areas were intrinsically tied to chattel slavery of African-Americans in every way shape or form from the get go?

"White flight" my foot. We were here first. You people(the ones that weren't slave owners) *VOLUNTARILY* moved here from all across the globe to benefit off the infrastructure and foundation laid down by my people in chattel slavery, because they couldn't hack it where ever it was they came from(probably the north or europe where there was little to no black people in chattel slavery). Not to mention the city is littered with communities built from the ground up by my people as freedmen immediately after slavery as well before most white families here today even knew what Houston was.

Last edited by JYHTOWN; 11-26-2019 at 01:24 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2019, 12:39 PM

14,575 posts, read 26,721,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JYHTOWN View Post
1836, Domestic slave trade.
Are you saying African Americans came here as slaves before there were white people here? Not only that, but in the same year that the white Texan settlers fought for independence from Mexico, and the city of Houston was founded?

Either I am greatly misunderstanding you, or you're starring in Drunk History here.

Old 11-26-2019, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Are you saying African Americans came here as slaves before there were white people here? Not only that, but in the same year that the white Texan settlers fought for independence from Mexico, and the city of Houston was founded?

Either I am greatly misunderstanding you, or you're starring in Drunk History here.

Allen brothers purchased the empty swamp lands around the buffalo bayou in what would become the city right after the illegal anglo aliens finished their coup. Neither them nor any white people lived in the lands. They were simply the "owners".
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/August...Allen#In_Texas

They used chattel slave labor to dredge the swamps and clear the lands while there were STILL no white people living the on the swampy disease infested land that the black slaves were living working and dying on.

The nephew of Augustus Allen, the "founder", said this about the construction of the city.

"The labor of clearing the great space was done by negro slaves and Mexicans, as no white man could have worked and endured the insect bites and malaria, snake bites, impure water, and other hardships. Many of the blacks died before their work was done.""

Again, if you open the link to the book exert I posted in my previous comment you can read all about it yourself.

Last edited by JYHTOWN; 11-26-2019 at 01:19 PM..

Old 11-26-2019, 01:07 PM

2,119 posts, read 971,663 times
Quote:
Of course, but this shows where the community stands on this issue. Them rallying around the TLH, a successful black owned business located in a heavily gentrified area, is just one of the ways they feel they can fight back against this being forced on them.
So, it's OK if a Black owned business pollutes an area, aggravating asthma and making it impossible for nearby property owners to enjoy their homes peacefully?

Old 11-26-2019, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
So, it's OK if a Black owned business pollutes an area, aggravating asthma and making it impossible for nearby property owners to enjoy their homes peacefully?

Well clearly the natives prefer that to than their neighborhood being polluted with colonizers against their will. If it's so bad they can go back to where they came from.

And who are you to even say what these colonizers accuses them of is true?

Old 11-26-2019, 01:58 PM

14,575 posts, read 26,721,305 times
Quote:
Again, if you open the link to the book exert I posted in my previous comment you can read all about it yourself.
They cleared out the townsite on Allen's Landing, but you made it sound like black people were here before white people, which isn't really accurate. (Really, they came at the same time, which was long before Sam Houston was born to have a city named after him)

There was already settlement at Harrisburg just down Buffalo Bayou to the east when the city of Houston was platted. It existed before the war between the Texians and Mexico, and well before the Allen brothers came here from New York to use unfree labor to clear their plat up the bayou.

All of this is "Houston" as far as anyone in the 20th century onward would reckon it.

Old 11-26-2019, 03:00 PM

Quote:
They cleared out the townsite on Allen's Landing, but you made it sound like black people were here before white people, which isn't really accurate. (Really, they came at the same time, which was long before Sam Houston was born to have a city named after him)

From the start I've always said that I'm referring to *COMMUNITIES* that *LIVED* in Houston, not any individuals who may have touched the land first then leaving. No community of white people existed in Houston before slaves dredged the swamps and cleared the land for them to settle.

Quote:
There was already settlement at Harrisburg just down Buffalo Bayou to the east when the city of Houston was platted. It existed before the war between the Texians and Mexico, and well before the Allen brothers came here from New York to use unfree labor to clear their plat up the bayou.

And even before any anglo immigrantion into Mexican-Texas hundreds of enslaved black people lived in the port of Galveston in Spanish texas brought by the first european permanent settler Louis Michel Aury.

The original townsite of houston's founding had a lot more to do with proximity to galveston than harrisburg which was completely burnt to the ground it in the war during the mexican coup.

Quote:
All of this is "Houston" as far as anyone in the 20th century onward would reckon it.

It wasn't the original townsite, which was the residence of and built by enslaved African-Americans before any community of white settlers.

Last edited by JYHTOWN; 11-26-2019 at 04:15 PM..

Old 11-26-2019, 04:11 PM

2,119 posts, read 971,663 times
Quote:
Well clearly the natives prefer that to than their neighborhood being polluted with colonizers against their will. If it's so bad they can go back to where they came from.

And who are you to even say what these colonizers accuses them of is true?
The "natives" in that part of town were white, until the Black invaders drove them out in the 1960's at the behest of the real estate cartel.

Doesn't matter who is polluting the neighborhood, if the neighbors, who were, in many cases, there first complain, the turkey leg people need to do something about their externalities.

Old 11-26-2019, 04:16 PM

4,703 posts, read 8,478,822 times
Third Ward north of Truxillo was African-American from the start, but Riverside Terrace was initially Jewish.

Did African-Americans ever commit violence against Riverside Terrace white folk? I don't remember such a thing. I think it was simply white flight and real estate companies manipulating people, as in the black folk were not invaders.

Quote:
The "natives" in that part of town were white, until the Black invaders drove them out in the 1960's at the behest of the real estate cartel.

Doesn't matter who is polluting the neighborhood, if the neighbors, who were, in many cases, there first complain, the turkey leg people need to do something about their externalities.

Old 11-26-2019, 04:41 PM

Quote:

The last time that area majority white was in the 1950s and those mostly jews left do to racist redlining policies and discriminatory lending. Not the same people there today. This is all well documented.

Invasion is what white colonizers did to fourth ward in the 90s.

But, lets all pretend like it was poor whites who suffered marginalization under jim crow. Oppressors always chasing victimhood.

Plus, like I said before black people lived and built the entire city before ANY colonizing white invadors came in after the foundation was laid. That and the city was a quarter enslaved(%49 for harris county as a whole) before the civil war and they were pretty evenly distributed throughout the city so you people didn't even build your so called "white" areas on your own. Our historical neighborhoods were actually built by *US* from the ground up. You white colonizers can't claim the same thing.

Slavery and invasion is YOUR legacy, not mine. So, if you're really proud to be white then own your white ish and stop trying to project it on us. I'm sure as hell not ashamed of my people's history of being enslaved.

Quote:

Who's to say what these colonizers allege is even true? "I'm white and I say so"?

Last edited by JYHTOWN; 11-26-2019 at 05:03 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or