U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-26-2019, 05:46 PM

1,758 posts, read 2,253,432 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
The "natives" in that part of town were white, until the Black invaders drove them out in the 1960's at the behest of the real estate cartel.

Doesn't matter who is polluting the neighborhood, if the neighbors, who were, in many cases, there first complain, the turkey leg people need to do something about their externalities.
Who controlled the real estate?

Who made them run once they got to South Park, Hiram Clarke, Missouri City? Surely if they stayed it would’ve balanced out, right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2019, 05:56 PM

2,126 posts, read 973,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JYHTOWN View Post
The last time that area majority white was in the 1950s and those mostly jews left do to racist redlining policies and discriminatory lending. Not the same people there today. This is all well documented.

Who's to say what these colonizers allege is even true? "I'm white and I say so"?
The area along Almeda was white and non-Jewish. My mothers best friend grew up on Wheeler behind Johnston, and her parents lived there until they died in the 80's. They were just about the last white folks left there.

It's pretty easy to document that the smoke from TLH is drifting off the property. None of the other similar places in town seem to have an issue controlling their smokers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbcu View Post
Who controlled the real estate?

Who made them run once they got to South Park, Hiram Clarke, Missouri City? Surely if they stayed it would’ve balanced out, right?
The older ones did stay in those areas. Their kids didn't.

Old 11-26-2019, 07:10 PM

1,758 posts, read 2,253,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
The area along Almeda was white and non-Jewish. My mothers best friend grew up on Wheeler behind Johnston, and her parents lived there until they died in the 80's. They were just about the last white folks left there.

It's pretty easy to document that the smoke from TLH is drifting off the property. None of the other similar places in town seem to have an issue controlling their smokers.

The older ones did stay in those areas. Their kids didn't.

not true...my parents moved near Missouri City (Blur Ridge area to be exact) in 72 and they saw ALL the young families leave overnight. We had 3 white families on our street by the time I finished high school in the 90s and none raised kids as they were older families. We had maybe 2 or 3 non-blacks kids at my elementary school when I finished in '89 but it was way more 10 years earlier so that meant there were a mass exodus of folks who left.

As for TLH, they got away with it but in reality they should've fixed it but politicians and city employees getting preferential treatment will cause people to overlook things. I know a few folks who know how to get to the front of the line without waiting as that's the biggest perk. They obtained the additional land with "city" help - kinda how Frenchy's obtained the land off Alabama and Scott when that wasn't their chosen spot.

Old 11-27-2019, 05:29 AM

4,703 posts, read 8,479,741 times
The mass white flight of the 1960s/1970s was really messed up and wrong on so many levels. It still happens today on a smaller scale; I.e. the Detroit area after the 2008 recession.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbcu View Post
not true...my parents moved near Missouri City (Blur Ridge area to be exact) in 72 and they saw ALL the young families leave overnight. We had 3 white families on our street by the time I finished high school in the 90s and none raised kids as they were older families. We had maybe 2 or 3 non-blacks kids at my elementary school when I finished in '89 but it was way more 10 years earlier so that meant there were a mass exodus of folks who left.

Old 11-27-2019, 07:46 AM

12,381 posts, read 18,600,419 times
I hope y’all know that TLH tried to build a ventilation room, but the residents stopped it.

Old 11-27-2019, 08:51 AM

37 posts, read 6,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBoy205 View Post
I hope y’all know that TLH tried to build a ventilation room, but the residents stopped it.

Exactly like it wasn't a big list of white and asian owned restaurants that failed all kinds of disgusting health inspections a couple of years ago that made the news.
https://www.click2houston.com/consum...ston-eateries/

Most of them are still around and kicking. Don't see them making a big deal about that.

Old 11-27-2019, 09:08 AM

37 posts, read 6,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicman View Post
The mass white flight of the 1960s/1970s was really messed up and wrong on so many levels. It still happens today on a smaller scale; I.e. the Detroit area after the 2008 recession.

Unlike African-Americans who were actually FORCED to leave Humble in the 20s after the closing of the sawmill they worked at, nothing but their own insecurities and racism forced those white people to leave those places(many of which had a slave past anyway).

So, forgive me for not feeling sorry for them.

Old 11-27-2019, 09:38 AM

14,575 posts, read 26,721,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBoy205 View Post
It looks like they received a permit in September. So they got this permit and then the locals threw a fit and stopped it within two months?

Old 11-27-2019, 10:20 AM

4,703 posts, read 8,479,741 times
There were also people afraid the monetary value of the house would be wiped out, so real estate companies were very happy to convince them to sell Then they sold the houses to black folks for less money.

In those days people were afraid of any black people going to their childrens' schools; today parents are OK with minorities so long as there aren't too many -- HISD board member Don McAdams wrote about this in the 1990s -- for fear of degradation of educational quality. McAdams talks about this on pages 59 through 61: https://books.google.com/books?id=4eY4cg07-CAC&pg=PA59

Quote:
Originally Posted by JYHTOWN View Post
Unlike African-Americans who were actually FORCED to leave Humble in the 20s after the closing of the sawmill they worked at, nothing but their own insecurities and racism forced those white people to leave those places(many of which had a slave past anyway).

So, forgive me for not feeling sorry for them.

Old 11-27-2019, 10:27 AM

2,530 posts, read 2,137,345 times
I'm very property-rights oriented, so I'm defaulted to support businesses like TLH against neighborhood complaints (a typical one in Houston is parking impact - sorry urban residents, you don't get any sympathy from me). That said, property rights are limited when it comes to health and safety impacts on adjacent uses. So, to the extent that the TLH smoke presents a health problem, it should be incumbent upon TLH ownership to fix it. And the nearby residents should give them a reasonable chance to do so until the health threat is so acute that it necessitates immediate cessation of the activity (I'm certainly not knowledgeable enough about such things to assess the TLH situation in that regard). TLH is a successful business that has added positively to Houston's reputation and a great example of African-American entrepreneurship, so I really don't want to see them unnecessarily injured, but they do have a responsibility to the neighbors no matter what neighborhood or who the neighbors are.

Also, speaking more generally and not specifically about TLH, the City has noise ordinances, etc. (I'm not sure if there's light pollution / glare ordinances also but there might need to be) for a decent reason - health impacts from lack of sleep or high decibel levels are sufficient to warrant these regulations. Just because neighbors of an existing business might have let such things "slide" in the past doesn't mean they shouldn't be enforced in the future if new residents move in who feel the impacts. This may have been what caused Walters on Washington to have to move after the primarily lower-income Black and Hispanic neighborhood they were in was "colonized" by upscale Anglos (and there was nothing inherently wrong with that).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or