Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-04-2019, 10:34 AM

288 posts, read 433,863 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
Everyone wants jobs and opportunities and investment to come to their neighborhood until it actually does and brings strange new people with it.
Bagel shops and avocado toast stands aren't that strange. Gentrifying is great, for the people it benefits the most. Exactly what does it do for the current residents? The ones that sell, get a check back, but too many are forced to do so.

Setting certain rhetoric aside, an improved community is great, and I don't think anyone can argue that. But there isn't a very good example that I can think of where residents from any low income area in any major city were rejoiced with the increased cost of living. The same reasons people want to move in, are the same reasons why they don't want to move out. I'm sure the movie Up would be much different if Carl stopped pouting about his house and sold.

The rich history and culture of these places adds on to the resentment, but it should not be issue. I mentioned it earlier, Little Italy is nothing more than a tourist trap now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2019, 10:46 AM

15,216 posts, read 30,556,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scientific View Post
I mentioned it earlier, Little Italy is nothing more than a tourist trap now.
Montrose used to be the most interesting neighborhood in Houston, and now it's a festering man-bun douchepit on the order of McKinney Street in Dallas. Even if I could pay rent over there, I wouldn't want to.

The social narrative is different with me, so I'm not "gentrified" out. I merely think Montrose sucks now, and nobody cares. Nobody's going to hold rallies in my support.

Old 12-04-2019, 10:53 AM

58 posts, read 42,352 times
Quote:
Bagel shops and avocado toast stands aren't that strange. Gentrifying is great, for the people it benefits the most. Exactly what does it do for the current residents? The ones that sell, get a check back, but too many are forced to do so.

Setting certain rhetoric aside, an improved community is great, and I don't think anyone can argue that. But there isn't a very good example that I can think of where residents from any low income area in any major city were rejoiced with the increased cost of living. The same reasons people want to move in, are the same reasons why they don't want to move out. I'm sure the movie Up would be much different if Carl stopped pouting about his house and sold.

The rich history and culture of these places adds on to the resentment, but it should not be issue. I mentioned it earlier, Little Italy is nothing more than a tourist trap now.

3rd, 4th, and 5th ward freedmen's settlments in Houston are all older than little italy ny. Plus, African-Americans are physically incapable of integrating into whiteness like Italians did. And of course, there's the whole chattel slave trade where AfrAms were literally forced to come to this country, state, and city itself to build it from the ground up, before they even existed as a community of free people.

The situation of italian immigrants and their descedents isn't at all comparable to the situation of Afr'am freed slaves and their descendants.

Edit: They're older than montrose too. All the things that make the situation of italians incomparable to that of Afr'Ams apply to the lgbt/hipster community as well. At the end of the day history shows that white is white.

Last edited by JYHTOWN; 12-04-2019 at 11:11 AM..

Old 12-04-2019, 11:00 AM

288 posts, read 433,863 times
Quote:
Montrose used to be the most interesting neighborhood in Houston, and now it's a festering man-bun douchepit on the order of McKinney Street in Dallas. Even if I could pay rent over there, I wouldn't want to.

The social narrative is different with me, so I'm not "gentrified" out. I merely think Montrose sucks now, and nobody cares. Nobody's going to hold rallies in my support.
to be fair, Montrose gentrified so easy because it wasn't a poor neighborhood. It was a safe space for those residents at a time when Houston wasn't the giant it is today. I remember as a kid how well maintained the older homes were. They were cheap and well kept, despite being surrounded by hoods.

I'm on the side of owners who have invested into their communities, gay or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JYHTOWN View Post
The situation of italian immigrants and their descedents isn't at all comparable to the situation of Afr'am freed slaves and their descendants.
I agree.

Old 12-04-2019, 11:20 AM

Quote:
to be fair, Montrose gentrified so easy because it wasn't a poor neighborhood. It was a safe space for those residents at a time when Houston wasn't the giant it is today. I remember as a kid how well maintained the older homes were. They were cheap and well kept, despite being surrounded by hoods.
It was more than that. It was the artists and musicians and such who weren't the type of rednecks who beat people up because they were homosexual. Montrose becoming the gayborhood was the cart behind that horse. That creative class can't live there anymore, and nobody in the greater world gives a ****. They're told to go back to school and learn to code.

Old 12-04-2019, 04:07 PM

4,875 posts, read 10,071,404 times
Speaking of rednecks, I would say they've vanished from Houston. I heard back in the 1960s and stuff there were lots of shootings at bars on Telephone Road because of rednecks getting mad at each other, and it used to be legal to shoot a man for sleeping with your wife. Now lots of the old redneck neighborhoods on the east side have turned Hispanic. I think you have to go out to the rural areas to find rednecks now.

Quote:
It was more than that. It was the artists and musicians and such who weren't the type of rednecks who beat people up because they were homosexual. Montrose becoming the gayborhood was the cart behind that horse. That creative class can't live there anymore, and nobody in the greater world gives a ****. They're told to go back to school and learn to code.

Old 12-04-2019, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicman View Post
Speaking of rednecks, I would say they've vanished from Houston.
Well, yes, they couldn't afford it anymore if they wanted to.

I wasn't really looking at the forces that created a neighborhood like Montrose through the prism of the current status quo, though. More like how it was 30 or 40 years ago. There were a lot of rednecks back then, and you didn't have to be a redneck to have a less than enlightened view on homosexuals in those days.

Historical context is important. These discussions about "gentrification" are useless without it.

Old 12-04-2019, 05:49 PM

1,442 posts, read 1,567,273 times
Quote:
Now, it does look like there are options in Third Ward, and they did just build the rail through there...
The rail was built for easy access to UH & TSU. When I first started undergrad, students had to drive to school, even if they lived fairly close to the universities. Now, you can hop on the TSU/UH light rail to either campus.

Old 12-04-2019, 06:49 PM

2,188 posts, read 3,217,718 times
Quote:
Well, yes, they couldn't afford it anymore if they wanted to.

I wasn't really looking at the forces that created a neighborhood like Montrose through the prism of the current status quo, though. More like how it was 30 or 40 years ago. There were a lot of rednecks back then, and you didn't have to be a redneck to have a less than enlightened view on homosexuals in those days.

Historical context is important. These discussions about "gentrification" are useless without it.
they were in the working class areas - refinery areas mostly but Bellarie was that area also

Galena Park, Pasadena, North Houston (45 north area / Parker Road)

Old 12-04-2019, 08:50 PM

4,875 posts, read 10,071,404 times
Bellaire got wealthy in the 1980s, and in the other areas Hidpanic and Latino people are now the majority.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbcu View Post
they were in the working class areas - refinery areas mostly but Bellarie was that area also

Galena Park, Pasadena, North Houston (45 north area / Parker Road)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston