Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2019, 07:35 AM

2,848 posts, read 2,165,384 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NigerianNightmare View Post
I'm not sure what you mean by true Texan. Because Houston is a border region, many of the small towns west of Houston are "True Texan" towns and are more diverse than Katy, because these towns have generations old Hispanic, Black and White residents. For example the City of Katy is the most true Texan part of Katy and it's demographics are- 63% White, 29% Hispanic and 5% Black (This is 2010/ the Hispanic population has increased significantly since this census). Brookshire- 47% Hispanic, 35% Black and 17% White (that is small town Texas in 2010 before all the new development) as well. Sealy the next town over or Fulshear before the development (2000). Fulshear was 50% White, 24% African American, 23% Hispanic. Now it is 62% White, 16% Hispanic, 10% Asian and 7% Black (which is roughly the Demographics of the South of I-10 Katy area although their are more Asians and less Whites). Sealy- 48% White, 39% Hispanic, 12% Black.

Maybe Asians aren't your people, but if you ask for "Real Texans", just look at the Demographics of Texas and take out the 5 major cities. Both Dallas, Fort Worth and Austin are significantly whiter than Texas and San Antonio and Houston are slightly less white than Texas, the cities aren't dictating the demographics, the demographics of Texas are a reality in the small towns as well. Their isn't a rural region at least in Houston that is even as white as say The Woodlands. In fact as The Woodlands grew, Montgomery County became whiter, just to show you how diverse rural and real Texans are. This isn't the Midwest or the NE or much of America outside of the Deep South were diversity stops in the cities.
To give OP the benefit of the doubt maybe she's talking about accent and mindset, not ethnicity. After all, Asians who've been here 2+ generations like Martha Wong talk with a drawl and do other stereotypical Texan things, while those born overseas would not. She might've been fine with a diverse small town where all young people say sir and ma'am, for example.
I might be stereotyping here but I would guess that the video game culture would not be as good in 'real Texas' as in Houston.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2019, 08:28 AM

1,965 posts, read 1,264,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicman View Post
San Antonio's always had a large Hispanic population, but it wasn't always that way in Houston. Its first majority Hispanic school was Lorenzo de Zavala in the 1920s. https://books.google.com/books?id=30-bCgAAQBAJ&pg=PA95 There was further growth in the 1930s, but Houston didn't have high schools becoming majority Hispanic until around the 60s https://books.google.com/books?id=vNBmeZlsDnkC&pg=PA219 . Previously Stephen F. Austin and Milby were majority Anglo white and had few students of Mexican heritage.
So Hispanics were present for over half of Houston's history. The important half as well.

Old 01-16-2019, 08:50 AM

104 posts, read 110,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkwensky View Post
To give OP the benefit of the doubt maybe she's talking about accent and mindset, not ethnicity. After all, Asians who've been here 2+ generations like Martha Wong talk with a drawl and do other stereotypical Texan things, while those born overseas would not. She might've been fine with a diverse small town where all young people say sir and ma'am, for example.
I might be stereotyping here but I would guess that the video game culture would not be as good in 'real Texas' as in Houston.
Exactly. As I mentioned in my original post, when we came out here years ago first looking to move we found "welcoming people who were so nice and helpful, and I just love the Southern accent."
"we can be around all you wonderful Texans and soak up that Southern charm".

so yes, I am looking for accent and mindset. I don't know why people try to make this into a racist post. If an Asian looking person spoke with a drawl and opened doors, called me 'ma'am", that would be fine too :-)
We came from the Midwest around Chicago and I'm tired of Northern lack of manners and lack of cohesion amongst communities.

Old 01-16-2019, 04:04 PM

4,875 posts, read 10,067,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrappyJoe View Post
So Hispanics were present for over half of Houston's history. The important half as well.
Interestingly it'll be hard to measure in school records before 1970 since Hispanics were counted as "white" back then.

Old 01-16-2019, 06:44 PM

2,945 posts, read 4,989,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gamergal View Post
Exactly. As I mentioned in my original post, when we came out here years ago first looking to move we found "welcoming people who were so nice and helpful, and I just love the Southern accent."

so yes, I am looking for accent and mindset. I don't know why people try to make this into a racist post. If an Asian looking person spoke with a drawl and opened doors, called me 'ma'am", that would be fine too :-)
We came from the Midwest around Chicago and I'm tired of Northern lack of manners and lack of cohesion amongst communities.

You need to move to the sticks Texas for the charm and "twang" you so want. It sounds like you want a TV, Pleasentville sort of bubble to feel good about yourself and bask in the ambience of an....accent? Um...okay.

Houston is transplant city so the charm isn't concentrated.

East and West Texas small town is your best bet. Odessa/Midland is engineer city. Go there. But even still, that sounds like a sound set type of movie city that's fake. You need backwoods, hick places so you can close your eyes and smile at all the y'alls you get from everyone you meet.

Old 01-16-2019, 07:34 PM

214 posts, read 306,837 times
These types of forums have a way to get 'political' quickly...

On the Westside, stay away from KISD. Weston Lakes and Texana Plantation come to mind. Up north, I bet you'll find pockets of this around Magnolia.

This is what to look for:
-NOT places where transplants from outside of Houston move. I.e. KISD. Riverstone, Sienna Plantation.
-Places where people who have lived in KISD have moved to (i.e. LCISD). Once KISD has gotten saturated, over-competitive, a transplant haven, etc. you'll find that some of those who have lived there a while opt to move elsewhere...places that aren't 'obvious'.

Note:
Houston is NOT a Southern city. Instead, it's the Easternmost Western City, and the Westernmost Southern City, it's a port city, it's a boom town, its both upscale and blue collar. it's a place that welcomes folks from all around the world looking for a slice of the good life. It's 'Texas' but not as 'Texas' as DFW. It's a unique place. You'll find what you're looking--however, it'll be different than what you expected and will hopefully exceed your expectations.

Old 01-16-2019, 08:46 PM

6,470 posts, read 4,066,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gamergal View Post

Sorry, I came as too aggressive, I just wanted to state that what people see as real Texan is often much more diverse than what people expect from the movies. Like people have asked why are their so many Hispanics in Texas as if Texas wasn't part of Mexico and an estimated 6% (500,000-800,000) of all Hispanics have roots to pre-American Texas, and even well into the 1920s Texas was estimated as 10%+ Hispanic and only 70% white.

Now to seriously answer your question as mentioned in the great post above, small towns that aren't transplant heavy are the best in Houston look for Waller County, Montgomery County outside of the woodlands, Brazoria County outside of Pearland. East and NW Houston in general is pretty good. Near Tomball is probably the sweet spot of not to rural not to transplanty IMO. Crosby is also great. It's not that Katy doesn't have them. Katy has probably 5 times as many as Crosby or Tomball, it's more like in Katy they are heavily diluted and really only dominate City of Katy/Old Katy and some North Katy neighborhoods that are still cheap like Williamsburg Parish. Accent will be harder to find, as once an area gets taken over by the city the accent is heavily diluted but their still "Texan" at heart.

The best places for this is probably the areas that have the least Asian population, as while Asians aren't all of the transplants, demographically the most Asian areas tend to have a high amount of black transplants, white transplants and hispanic transplants as well.

Last edited by NigerianNightmare; 01-16-2019 at 08:55 PM..

Old 01-17-2019, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DejaBlue View Post
You need to move to the sticks Texas for the charm and "twang" you so want. It sounds like you want a TV, Pleasentville sort of bubble to feel good about yourself and bask in the ambience of an....accent? Um...okay.

Houston is transplant city so the charm isn't concentrated.

East and West Texas small town is your best bet. Odessa/Midland is engineer city. Go there. But even still, that sounds like a sound set type of movie city that's fake. You need backwoods, hick places so you can close your eyes and smile at all the y'alls you get from everyone you meet.
SHEESH. You obviously want to be offended. Made my point for me there.
If you don't want to answer the question I asked, you could move on.

If I wanted Northern values, I would have stayed in Illinois. I moved here for the Southern courtesy I experienced in this area years ago when visiting.

Strange that some people moving to Texas want to be around **gasp** Texans. I know, weird, right?

Old 01-17-2019, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoo2000 View Post
These types of forums have a way to get 'political' quickly...

On the Westside, stay away from KISD. Weston Lakes and Texana Plantation come to mind. Up north, I bet you'll find pockets of this around Magnolia.

This is what to look for:
-NOT places where transplants from outside of Houston move. I.e. KISD. Riverstone, Sienna Plantation.
-Places where people who have lived in KISD have moved to (i.e. LCISD). Once KISD has gotten saturated, over-competitive, a transplant haven, etc. you'll find that some of those who have lived there a while opt to move elsewhere...places that aren't 'obvious'.

Note:
Houston is NOT a Southern city. Instead, it's the Easternmost Western City, and the Westernmost Southern City, it's a port city, it's a boom town, its both upscale and blue collar. it's a place that welcomes folks from all around the world looking for a slice of the good life. It's 'Texas' but not as 'Texas' as DFW. It's a unique place. You'll find what you're looking--however, it'll be different than what you expected and will hopefully exceed your expectations.

Thank you, very informative. Could be that when we came here looking 10-12 years ago, that Houston was more "southern"? I know driving up 45 to the Woodlands mall at that time it was so empty. Not much building along the highway at all, and Tomball, Spring and other parts North had a "small town" feel. People were welcoming, so courteous and yes, I admit I love the accent. Fast forward to today not so much of that. I figured maybe we were in the wrong area to experience this again. SO different than Illinois.

Old 01-17-2019, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NigerianNightmare View Post
Sorry, I came as too aggressive, I just wanted to state that what people see as real Texan is often much more diverse than what people expect from the movies. Like people have asked why are their so many Hispanics in Texas as if Texas wasn't part of Mexico and an estimated 6% (500,000-800,000) of all Hispanics have roots to pre-American Texas, and even well into the 1920s Texas was estimated as 10%+ Hispanic and only 70% white.

Now to seriously answer your question as mentioned in the great post above, small towns that aren't transplant heavy are the best in Houston look for Waller County, Montgomery County outside of the woodlands, Brazoria County outside of Pearland. East and NW Houston in general is pretty good. Near Tomball is probably the sweet spot of not to rural not to transplanty IMO. Crosby is also great. It's not that Katy doesn't have them. Katy has probably 5 times as many as Crosby or Tomball, it's more like in Katy they are heavily diluted and really only dominate City of Katy/Old Katy and some North Katy neighborhoods that are still cheap like Williamsburg Parish. Accent will be harder to find, as once an area gets taken over by the city the accent is heavily diluted but their still "Texan" at heart.

The best places for this is probably the areas that have the least Asian population, as while Asians aren't all of the transplants, demographically the most Asian areas tend to have a high amount of black transplants, white transplants and hispanic transplants as well.
Again, I don't care what color or nationality. I have read a lot of Texas history and know there are many Hispanics that consider themselves Texan (Texians). I'm looking for courtesy and mindset.
If I hadn't experienced the Southern charm when we first came here 10-12 years ago (not sure exactly) I wouldn't have been expecting the Southern charm and mentality..It just felt small townish, but I guess the area has really changed since then and it will be harder to find what we originally loved.
Thank you for the information, very helpful!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston