Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2019, 11:50 AM

2,848 posts, read 2,165,384 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
I live in North Houston and I refuse to get out of my little safe bubble in Greenspoint
There's a safe bubble in Gunspoint? Where?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2019, 01:28 PM

1,442 posts, read 1,565,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OceanViewer View Post
So I guess it's certain areas of Houston like all other cities?
Exactly. There's certain areas of Houston that you can lose your life in, and areas where you'll live happily ever after. Money and educational background dictate how safe you can live in Houston.

Old 01-10-2019, 01:50 PM

18,125 posts, read 25,266,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkwensky View Post
There's a safe bubble in Gunspoint? Where?
Look it up, it's also known as Sarcasm

Old 01-10-2019, 02:39 PM

5,462 posts, read 3,032,982 times
Quote:
Houston daily news is very scary. It seems like Houston has a lot of heinous crimes that happen on a regular basis. It is also reported that Houston has over 20,000 active gang members in Harris County. What's really going on there? I'm almost afraid to move there.
Every city is the safest until any crime happens to you. Most apartments I lived in had break-ins and they were in decent upper-middle-class neighbourhoods.

So better stop listening to the news and don't venture into bad areas and As long as you dont do any business with gangs, you are safe.

Old 01-10-2019, 03:05 PM

2,848 posts, read 2,165,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
Look it up, it's also known as Sarcasm
That's too bad. I had to work in the area for 3 days out of a week and would like to know where I can find a safe gas station before I get on the freeway.

Old 01-10-2019, 07:31 PM

5,612 posts, read 4,932,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbf2006 View Post
To be honest though, I have also wondered this since I moved here in April. The news seems to have a lot more negative information to report than I was used to in NY/NJ. And it's not even just the city itself, but the suburbs. For example, a lot more bank robberies than I've ever noticed anywhere else I've lived. My husband did some research and it did seem like the Houston metro has more criminal activity than the areas we've lived in. I don't know, maybe the news here doesn't have much more to report?
Yes, Houston has crime (a lot of it) in the suburbs. Certainly suburbs in other metros are just the same, the media just chooses not to report it. Houstonians are more honest. The "crime-free suburbs" image that people from other parts of the country have regarding their local metros is a fiction.

Houston's always been a relatively high-crime place, regardless of economic conditions. Did people complain when the city was the murder capital of the nation in the early 1980s and the economy was on steroids? (Maybe steroid rage explains the murders? )

Old 01-10-2019, 08:08 PM

61,649 posts, read 87,001,838 times
You have been in Houston before. What was your impression? Did you feel safe or anxiously watched over your shoulder?
Have you experienced crime or saw gang members in action?
Houston is the fourth biggest city in the US. Every big city has ghettos and pockets infested with crime. But generally the city is safe and people enjoy living here.
On other threads you expressed a desire to live here. If you're expecting to find a decent paid job, then you can live in a decent place. Don't mingle with criminals and you will be safe.

Here are some stats:
http://www.houstontx.gov/planning/De...e-Compare.html

Old 01-10-2019, 09:10 PM

123 posts, read 146,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
You have been in Houston before. What was your impression? Did you feel safe or anxiously watched over your shoulder?
Have you experienced crime or saw gang members in action?
Houston is the fourth biggest city in the US. Every big city has ghettos and pockets infested with crime. But generally the city is safe and people enjoy living here.
On other threads you expressed a desire to live here. If you're expecting to find a decent paid job, then you can live in a decent place. Don't mingle with criminals and you will be safe.

Here are some stats:
How We Compare
Great, thanks for the link. I guess I need to lay off the local news. I have been monitoring Houston local news online every day for the past 6 months and it has been kind of frightening at times.

Old 01-11-2019, 12:16 AM

11,761 posts, read 7,254,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheryjohns View Post
In a hurry, I have wandered off, leaving my garage open. OK. Maybe only twice in 10 years - but still. Both times I returned home with neighbors out, impatiently waiting for me to return home - because they were worried. This is Houston. I gift them popcorn, chocolate/whatever. They do not understand how I actually I hold them. Houstonians are the best people on earth.
Yes we are!

Old 01-11-2019, 02:25 AM

4,875 posts, read 10,067,064 times
Quote:
Great, thanks for the link. I guess I need to lay off the local news. I have been monitoring Houston local news online every day for the past 6 months and it has been kind of frightening at times.
Local news is depressing in most urban areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston